Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
chub
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #610
Noisy Brakes

When I apply the brakes to my Montana they make a loud squeak! I have tried cleaning the drums and shoes. What else can I try?

chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
You might want to look at the output you have your brake controller set at. If I have it turned up too high it applies too much brake and you will get that squeel. Had this happen on this coach as well as my previous Montana. I have since changed controllers and do not have that problem anymore. Just another thought, good luck.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:56 AM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Do a search for the words "brake squeal" or "squealing brakes" or or "noisy brakes" or variations of those. If there is, for sure, no grease on the brakes, I seem to recall that, in addition to reducing the setting on the brake controller for low speed maueuvering, there has been an issue with over-torqued wheel lug nuts. Make sure they are all torqued properly. Too tight is as bad as too loose. Ours are supposed to be at 90 ft/lbs. I check them every couple of weeks or so while "on the road".

The Forum search engine should bring the best results. Good luck!

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #4
chub
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #610
Thanks guys for the advice. I will give it a shot!
chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:28 AM   #5
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
You did not say when this noise started happing or if it is both sides or not. But you might check and see if the actuator arm is rubbing on the drum
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:34 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Chub, Patodonn mentioned the torquing of the lug nuts. While there are other possibilities, as others mentioned, our 3295RK had from nearly day one what I would call a "squalling" when I applied the brakes. It was a gawdawful noise. When we had the axles replaced one of the first things I noticed was -- no squall! I figured they must have replaced the drums and brakes, too. As we motored on down the road, every 50 miles or so I retorqued the lug nuts, as you are supposed to do when they've been removed. When they no longer needed tightening when we stopped, I gave them a bit more torque, thinking that was a good thing. Guess what! Instant Squall! Stopped and retorqued to the manual's specs and the squalling went away again. All that time the problem was I had overtorqued the lugnuts. Live and learn.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Montana_3598
Established Member

M.O.C. #3598
We had the same problem with our '02 Montana 3575RL when we took it off the lot. We took it back with the usual "first year shopping list" of minor issues, and the dealer said that wasn't unusual for a Montana. They replaced the brake shoes with a different brand (under warranty) and the noise stopped.
Montana_3598 is offline   Reply With Quote