Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2004, 03:40 PM   #1
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Tall People...Short Beds?

How have you folks dealt w/Montana's short length beds? I'm 6'1" and about to purchase new unit and don't want my feet hanging over the end of the bed. Montana beds seem to be shorter than competition?

capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The beds in the Montana are standard RV length, which I believe is 76" compared to 80" for a standard queen. If you wanted a full length matress, your dealer could work with you. You could put a sheet of wood under the matress to hold the additional 6". Hope this helps.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:12 PM   #3
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
Chris, A friend of mine who is 6'4", had a piece of styrafoam 6" thick and cut to the thickness of his mattress. Puts it between headboard and mattress and has a piece of plywood under mattress to extend it to the right lenght. When they travel the Foam rides on the floor at end of bed or on top and plywood is under mattress.

The bottom sheet fits mattress and the rest of bedding is pulled to top and the pillows cover the foam when set-up for living.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:15 AM   #4
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
Capn, if you're 6' 1" (73 in.) and the bed is 76 in. there shouldn't be a problem

In all seriousness, I'm 6' 2" and also have the short bed. A previous fiver I owned had a full length bed so I'm not sure about the "standard RV length" bed, I think it's got to do with the amount of travel the bedroom slide moves. Also, I don't find the length that much of a problem, but the firmness of the mattress a pain in the back(side).

Like Rames suggested, I would try to work with your dealer on some type of arrangement. If not, there are other ideas on the MOC if you do a search.
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:19 AM   #5
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
The mattress was too firm for us, as well, so we purchased a memory foam top that makes it very comfortable.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:57 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Moving from a king sized mattress to an RV queen was expected to be a troublesome adjustment. However, to my surprise, it hasn't been. We added the 3" memory foam pad to the top of the RV mattress. If one or the other of us stay up later, we seem to be undisturbed when the other arrives.

I am 6'2". We pull the mattress away from the headboard about 2" to 3" and I stuff the extra pillow (six on the bed when made up)into the space and have no problem with dangling feet.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:26 AM   #7
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
I am 6' 5" and find our 2955RL very comfortable after having the dealer make a bed adjustment before I closed the deal.

They were ready to do anything to get the deal closed (offered a longer matteress, willing to tearing into the drawers) so I suggested what I have been doing for a long time. Put something at the head of the bed to make it longer and put on an extension at the foot.

They agreed to a 6" piece of foam, mattress width and depth (to be put at head of bed when using it).
And make a folding 6'' extension with 2 folding legs. They even put felt material on the extension.

This is an easy fix - easier if the dealer understands that the bed needs to be made usable for us tall people OR no deal!

Since this earlier above post I have found that a 4" piece of foam works best and it also allows me to close the slide without removing the foam. I also believe you could do without the 6" folding extension that we must fold down before closing the slide.

After a lot of looking we found the Montana hard to beat. Good luck in finding a unit.

Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:25 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The 4" foam piece at the head sounds very good, especially since you said the slide retraction would not interfere and making a cover for it would seem simple enough. Got to get the measurin' stick and check it out.

We never seem to run out of projects on these Monties. Collectively, we owners may be dangerously creative proving Covey's theory about synergistic environments.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:43 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I believe the standard mattress is actually just 74 inches. We replaced the mattress and had the new one cut to 76 inches. No problem with slide closing. We also pull the mattress down a few inches like others mentioned. We used to use foam as a filler but got tired of stowing the foam somewhere out of the way (full basement) so tossed the foam and now just shove some small travel pillows in the gap. It doesn't need to be level with the mattress for me to be comfortable but if you need it level then use the foam.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:23 PM   #10
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
I'm also 6'1". After experience with our prior fifth wheel mattress (not a Montana), we replaced it with a regular queen size pillow top.
When making the trade deal on our 2955RL Montana, I asked them if they would try to swap the two mattresses. They were more than happy to do it. It fits perfectly (though tight against the drawers when the slide is in) and we are very happy with it. It seems to me it is about 6 inches longer than the one that was in the Montana (and also seemed about twice as heavy).
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:07 PM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Steve -

You are absolutely right on the 74". Went to Camping World and got the dimensions. I'm 6' and a little extra length wouldn't hurt. I think I'll try one of the suggestions. With the 4/6" overhang, did anyone find it necessary to put support under the end? We got the pillowtop mattress when we bought the Monty, so we already had the upgrade. Also, what is the 3" memory foam that you referred to, Stiles?
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:10 AM   #12
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
How does everyone keep the sheets and blankets tucked in at the bottom if the mattress sticks over the bed?
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:59 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gene, we added another piece of plywood under the mattress, overlapping the original one, so the end of the bed is not unsupported. So we can tuck blankets in as usual. I tend to sit on the end of the bed to put on socks, etc., and we were afraid eventually the mattress would be damaged if not supported. The additional piece of plywood is approximately 4x4. The slight height change where it ends does not seem to be a problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:35 AM   #14
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
OK, Thanks Steve.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote