Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Adding an electrical outlet

I, well, DW, would like me to add an outlet in the kitchen right behind the sink. There is already an outlet in the corner of the L where counter turns 90 degrees away from the outside wall. So I think all I need to do is tap off this outlet and run it over behind the sink.

My question is, since this outlet is below the sink, should I install a GFI outlet there? I know all the outlets are fed from GFI to begin with, but just wondering if another GFI would be better.

Thanks.....

oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
If it is already GFCI protected, you do not need to add an additional GFCI.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
In fact, you never want more than two GFCI outlets on the same circuit - just one and only one. If you are tapping into an existing GFCI circuit, don't forget to retest the GFCI (with the test button) to make sure it still kills the power on that outlet. I've heard elsewhere that some have miswired the new outlet and then it didn't work so it does happen.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I went out and checked the GFCI outlet, the power comes into the GFCI, then another wire goes out and into the wall to feed another regular outlet.

So, my question is, how would I feed another outlet from this GFCI? I can not get to the other outlet in the wall.

Can I just tap off the GFCI again and connect to my new outlet?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Yes you can. Most GFCI outlets will have places to attach two wires for each screw. Make sure you attach the new wires to the load side of the outlet and then it will be GFCI protected. Twist the ground wires together with a pigtail that goes to the outlet and secure with a wirenut for a good solid ground. Reminder, TURN OFF THE POWER TO THE CIRCUIT BEFORE WORKING ON IT.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Thanks folks....

FYI,

My Monty has Pass & Seymour Legrand outlets and covers in it, they are available at Lowe's Home Improvement stores.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Got the outlet in, no problems at all.

Decided to install another one beside the refrigerator. So I was going to tap off the outlet for the vacuum cleaner power. When I opened up the grill under the refrigerator, I saw the outlet had 2 wires going to it. After tracing the other one out, it goes to the refrigerator.

Thought that was odd the refrigerator and the vacuum system powered off the same 15AMP breaker. but, got it in and all is well.

Now onto the desk area.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
ctomwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9744
I add 2 new ele out lets from with new fuses in my kitchen. I could not have coffie pot on and toster at the same time. The hole kitchen was on the same fuse,
ctomwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
ctomwood,

Mine is the same way, but I guess I was too lazy to try to run a whole new wire from the breaker box to the kitchen counter. I would have to run under the camper and back into the kitchen.

Too much like work :0)