Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Murphy's law, again

When leaving Boerne this morning, I checked the rest of the tires, one was at 40#, I felt the tread, it had one tread pattern higher than the others, I thought, why me?
I aired it up, drove a mile, checked it, no air loss, drove 10 miles, still OK. We took 46 highway from Boerne to New Braunsfels, at a steady 50 MPH, checked it before entering I-35, still OK. We limped here to Buda (at 50 MPH) to Crestview RV park and RV dealership. The tires will be sent here from California. I'm glad the tire held together, can't wait to get them off!
Thank goodness for my on board air supply, folks, don't travel without it!
(The drive on 46 was beautiful country, ranches everywhere, cute little Goats and horses, must be nice to be rich...)

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I think many of us are on a first name basis with Mr. Murphy. Agree re the air supply...mine is not truly "on board" but connects to one of the batteries with alligator clips, and does the job well.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Ozz,
I don't know why but we haven't had any trouble with the Mission tires. I changed them out after about 30K miles. Maybe you drive to slow, got to get some heat in the tires. We stayed a week in Boerne, the first of March. Fredrickberg, LBJ Ranch and the hill country is beautiful. We also enjoyed San Antonio, we took a bus in from Boerne. As for the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, it ain't much, won't be going back. Have a good trip the rest of the way home.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ozz,
That is very pretty country i them thar parts.

Be careful on Bus 46 out of New Braunfels is a 12 foot underpass(low bridge) I know you are already through there, but just in case you back track. If you get a chance, off of FM-306 is River Road that runs all the way to 46. Don't take the 5er down it though, to tight on some of the turns.

Also, check out Blanco State Park for camping (Full Hookup) and the Perdenales Falls State Park (Close to Coleen)

Just in case you are sight seeing
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Tom, air is good when we have so many tires...
Jerry, the Hill Country does shine, we just love it. The RGV is inexpensive, has many of our ilk, but it is a bleak monochrome landscape. If I did not go to beautiful South Padre, heck might as well stay in Fort Worth country and save the drive. JMHO folks.
Wayne, seems you know your way around Texas. We will be investigating this area for the next 5 or 8 days.
Like it so far, but still looking for the hills....
Old 04-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Ozz, Texas hills are like Texas rivers, wide but not tall (deep). There are several nice lumps (er---hills) up in the Round Rock/Belton/Lampasas area. We are headed down that way on the 16th. South to San Antonio, west to Del Rio, North to Amarillo, and back home through OK City. Our closest stop to you will be on the 18th in San Angelo (Pecan Park- 1 night) Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bob, good post, Honk at Lonnie when you pass Amarillo, he is South/West of you, also stop at the Big Texan, and give the little lunch a try there, get your name on the board! Hang onto the pooch when going around Ok. City, man, what a washboard!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ozz,
I've done a little travel in and around Texas. You are only 48 miles from Blanco, TX, and only about 45 miles from Sattler, TX, where the 4th Crossing starts for the Guadalupe River. It'd be a shame not to see some of the country side. There are rolling hills in Texas, but not any really mountainous ranges, but Perdenales will be a challenge to walk on the huge rocks. Round Rock will be a challenge and many take the foot trail to the top. My knees would not let me make the walk, but I at least thought about it.

Best thing - have a good time and enjoy.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, good tips. I will look into them.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I have a Airquipt pancake compressor (AC) and about 40ft of hose but no genset yet. However I do have a full 80 cu ft scuba bottle and an old regulator I put a Hansen fitting on for the air hose years ago. That is enough to fully inflate all my truck tires from flat to 80 lbs so it will handle the rig tires. Eventually I will have a genset but for now the scuba bottle works fine..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:02 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Exnavydiver, your tank is the Rolls Royce of air supply, fast and plenty of capacity.
By the way, I was a Navy man as well, I had a machine shop in a 50' x 350' converted LST 30 miles up the river in 'Nam for a year and a half, kept the ship in machined parts, fixed the laundry and dish-washing machines as well. I spent over a year making parts for the boats at the New London Sub base too. Where did you serve?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Wayne, your description sounds like "Enchanted Rock", rather than "Round Rock" (which is a town on I35 near Austin).

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...nchanted_rock/

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
As you come in on 46 from Boerne to New Braunfels, take loop 337 north or south to avoid the low bridge. 11' 8" I think.
If possible travel on 306 to Canyon Lake then to 281 north. You will see some great hill country going to Blanco, Johnson City, Marble Falls,Llano, Fredericksburg and Kerrville.
Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
VanMan,
Perdenales Falls was my first mention, and Round Rock the second. I really meant to say Enchanted Rock. I guess I got between the rock and the hard place. Sorry Ozz! Wasn't much at Round Rock. Enchanted Rock State Natural Area is at 16710 Ranch Rd 965, Fredericksburg TX 78624 and is the one you can hike up to the top.

I must be getting old. All those rocks look alike to me. Has anyone ever seen a "sex stone?"

I know other Texan's will keep me honest.

Thanks VanMan. Don't want Ozz to get is rocks ..... messed up.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I'm all ears, half the time I just stand around with my mouth half open...
Old 04-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #16
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
This time of the year Willow City Loop is generally pretty spectacular with wild flowers, as it winds through private lands. As long as folks respect this I hope the loop will stay open. OZZ it wont be far from where you are or from where Colleen resides. Happy hunting.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote