Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
07, Dodge mega cab with 6.7L engine

any one having problems with the engine light coming on ??
I've taken it to the dealer several times and they either have changed the O2 censor or have flashed the computer, but the engine light continues to come on. They say they are waiting for Chrysler to come out with a flash code or something. I don't think they have a clue why the engine light comes on. Anyone have any info on this ??

bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Welcome to the wonderful world of Chrysler. I also have an 07 3500 Mega Cab with the 6.7. My check engine light came on once and I called the dealer and they said no swear just continue your trip and bring it in to be flashed so I did, after about 2,500 miles.

They flashed it and all seemed well. Then I got a recall notice for the 02 sensor so took it in and had it changed. Next trip low and behold the check engine light came on and I just ignored it and it went out sometime later. At this point if it comes on I just ignore it. I don't think Chrysler has a clue yet.

Other than that I love my truck.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:47 AM   #3
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Yea, me too, I love the truck, sure do get alot of lookers,the first time the engine light came on was 730 miles, it seems to go off with in 25 or 50 miles later, will repeat itself again but no simular pattern. I got the recall notice also on the 02 censor, the eingine light came on again about 100 miles later after the install. Now they have another 02 censor they want to install because of the latest check engine light code. Again, I don't think they have a clue. Thanks for your input, at least I know I'm not the only one experiancing this problem.
Thanks again,
Bobby A
Old 12-04-2007, 02:53 AM   #4
hodag
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #150
seems like the same story with my new dodge but i finally found the dodge mech. that fixed problem. this is what he did. open hood and look into engine from drivers side, note black box just past brake fluid reservoir. just past that box there is an aluminum line that comes up from exhaust system. hex nut fastens into what looks like part of manifold. loosen nut, you will find a probe or sensor. use a spray cleaner to clean and put it back together. no problems since that was done. have put on approx. 7000 miles with no problems.
hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
thanks hodag
I just got back from the dealership again !! they replaced an 02 sensor and got an updated flash from Chrysler to flash the computer, we will see what happens now. thanks for your info, I will see if I can print it and show the mech. if & when it happens again.
Bobby A
Old 12-05-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
We have the same problem on our 08. The dealership here in Yuma said there is a recall and he has ordered the parts. When it is done, I will let you know what they say it is!
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:44 AM   #7
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by smc

We have the same problem on our 08. The dealership here in Yuma said there is a recall and he has ordered the parts. When it is done, I will let you know what they say it is!
if its the same recall as our 07 its an 02module I think they called it, which didn't fix the problem, keep me posted Thanks Bobby A
Old 12-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Robert, I love my 6.7. I had the same check engine light problem, though. Here's a tip for you...

1. Put the key in the ignition.
2. The next key position forward is the Run position. Not start but the position when the engine is running.
3. With the key in the off position, turn the key THREE times within 5 seconds to the run position. off-run-off-run-off-run, stopping with key in the run position.
4. have pencil and paper handy. The digital odometer will read out any trouble codes in the computer. It will show the first code for several seconds, then the next, then the next, etc. When done it will say "done".

Do a google search on on the code you find. It's an obdii code if that helps you search. If the code is P2262, like mine was, then you may have the older turbo and need to have it replaced with the newer turbo. Mine was replaced and problem solved. If you don't find the code by googling, email me (envelope icon above this post) and tell me the code. I have some obdii code lists although none of my lists are specific to this engine. Still, most codes apply to all makes.

If a different code, still do the google search, then tell your Dodge service folks what codes it showed. There was one code that just required a reflash of the computer. Some of the early ones, like mine, needed that flash.

I hope this helps.

I just got the recall for mine, too, for some emission sensor to be replaced. I'll take it in next week.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Also, the check engine light will go off again when the problem has not resurfaced in x attempts. In other words, if a fault caused the check engine light and that fault does not repeat itself, the check engine light will go off again. But the code will remain in the computer. The key sequence noted above will tell you what codes are stored in the computer.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Robert: Spoke to local Dodge dealer earlier today -- diesel tech was called into the main room to talk with the service writer and I; said the biggest problem they are seeing is people driving the 6.7 liters as a daily driver and not working it as a truck. Said you have to work it hard to get it up to high enough temps to keep everything cleaned out.

As you can see from Steve's posts, in just a very few months he has put on a lot of mileage, a good part of that towing his Montana. Ford forum used to have posts saying 'Drive it like you stole it'; guess the same is coming true for the Dodges.

On edit - caught my typo -- 6.7 liter not 5.7 liter for the new ones.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Every time I put my foot in it, Vicki gets this big grin on her face. She loves to drive this Dodge (she has a lead foot). But, being the frugal person I tend to be, I realize getting into it also hurts my mpg. While this Dodge gets excellent mileage, it does better when I drive with a light foot. I guess I have to bite the bullet and drive 'er like I stole 'er so it lasts a long time and not worry about a couple of tenths of a mile per gallon.

I did have a Dodge service tech tell me not driving it hard enough tends to carbon things up, especially in the turbo assembly. He told me to use the exhaust brake occasionally even when not towing. Since I find the EB advantageous when slowing on a highway run, I do just as he said. Apparently cycling the EB on the 6.7 moves that sleeve in the turbo assembly and that tends to clean off the carbon. I don't quite understand that but that's what I was told. The Dodge EB uses a slider on the turbo assembly, not a butterfly in the exhaust pipe or downpipe.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
These new diesel motors , the ones that regenerate, are not at their best used as a daily driver and at continual low speeds.The Ford book says it is best to keep them at 35MPH or above....and how in the %^&($$#** are we supposed to do that.Things that we are learning and that Marketing failed to tell us.As I said a long time ago..regeneration may be great for the enviroment..but it is a very bad thing for the diesel driver.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:09 PM   #13
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I can't say about others but my diesel is a great truck, and it's a daily driver. I've got 25,000 kms on it, drive it in cold weather, ice and snow and but for the standard rad leak nary a problem. Thus far the dully has presented no problems with traction on the snow but then I'm not driving it through fields. Guess I'd say just get in and drive the thing and don't worry about every little possibility. Life is pretty damn short ya know.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:34 AM   #14
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Steve: Sounds like the variable vane turbo's are a lot like the variable pitch props on planes; put flatter (but not flat) pitch in to increase pull (in this case increase boost); feather to decrease resistance (gliding/coasting). With the vanes shut (flattened), that would put quite a bit of restriction in the exhaust with good braking being the result. The things they think of.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The Cummins' "variable" turbo doesn't have moving vanes. Rather, it uses a sliding sleeve to regulate the exhaust flow. Supposedly this is a whole lot less likely to be problem-plagued than the moving vanes have been so far. Only time will tell.

My 2003 and 2005 6.0's had the variable vanes like you mention, skypilot, and that restriction acted like an exhaust brake, to some extent. I think GM went this route a couple of years ago, too. Dodge's is different, as mentioned above, and also incorporates the (standard with the 6.7) exhaust brake as well.

We have closing in on 22,000 miles on this engine since May 6th and I'm still lovin' it.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #16
6.7 CTD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8114
Here is a link to the CEL codes that may help those with troubles http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182568
To check the code number just turn ignition onthen off then on then off then on.......ending at on and look at the odometer reading it will show you the code it set for the Check engine light that came on on your dash.....hope this helps
6.7 CTD is offline   Reply With Quote