Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
mtofell
Established Member

M.O.C. #7825
Slide hitch or not?

I'm about to buy a 2004 2955RL to tow with my 2500 Duramax 4X4 Short Box. Do I absolutely need a slide hitch or are any of you running w/o one on a short box for that 5ver? In comparison to some other 5vers of the same size the 2955RL seems to have a somewhat forward pin.... and from the pics of the members on the site it doesn't look like it will hit. But, I'm new to 5vers and realize I could be way off on this.... Basically, I'm heading to the dealer and want to at least have some info so I know if I'm getting the run around... thanks!

Btw.... this is a great site. I just happened onto it tonight. I want to buy the Montana just so I have reason to hang out here

mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it.
I have one and should have used it just one time .....they will hit.

J&D

P/S Welcome to the MOC.
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have a short bed Dodge and an older 2955RL. I use the Pullrite automatic slider for a hitch and would do it all over again for the peace of mind. It may be an expensive solution but I can tow worry free regarding encountering sharp turns. There have been a few times when I've had to pretty much jacknife the trailer into a site and the hitch worked flawlessly. With my memory the way it is I know I would have forgotten to activate a manual slider. That being said, the slider is not needed about 95% of the time.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I have a short box Ford F250 SD and I use a slider to make any tight turns. The pin extension isn't enough. A friend of mine also has a short box but his hitch sits back behind the axle about 6 inches which gives him just enough room for a clear swing. So, the bottom line is to see where the hitch is going to be located and you also have indents on the front end of your Montana I think that will add more radius. But, your piece of mind is the most important.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #5
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I couldn't have gotten along without the slider in my shortbed F-250. I have the dent in the cab to prove it.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have a short bed Chevy with a manual slider hitch. In 5 months of fulltiming, I have not used the slider yet. I'm sure I will some day. If I knew then what I know now, I would go with the Pullrite auto slider. Just for peace of mind. I may upgrade to this hitch someday. I would like to not worry about it while I am maneuvering. Right now I take it very slow and even get out an look when I am close....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 AM   #7
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Being new to 5th wheels, I opted for the 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin set in place of a slider hitch. It works great for me, I have been at a full 90 degrees with no problem. Need to get close to 90 to back it into my drive. Probably more cost than a slider, but with the shock and air bag in the pin set, rides real well. 2007 classic 2500 and early 2007 2955RL.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I have the same TV/5er combo you are going to be using. I can turn around in a cul de sac by my house without sliding. In 3 seasons of camping I have used it twice. Would I be without it? NO WAY! You never know when and you don't want to be wherever that is without it. Came way too close to taking out the back window and corner of the cab.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've been towing fifthwheels with a shortbed truck since 1995. I have used our slider exactly four times. With the new nose on this Montana, I doubt I'll ever need it again. But I was glad to have it when needed. In two cases it was not a matter of just finding a different site. In one of those cases we pulled into one of those "pullthroughs" that are pullthroughs only because there's nobody in the site directly behind. When someone moves out of there my only choice to exit was forward. With a narrow site, a narrow access road, and a large tree on each corner, I could not have got out of that site without the slider. Well, I could have asked the folks behind us to move their trailer so we could back out, I guess. That Montana was a 2003 with the same nose as your 2004.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Having only towed my Montana's with the Superglide Automatic sliding hitch, I cannot speak for non-sliding or manual sliding hitches. However, I found that the difference in cost between the manual sliding hitch and Superglide is far less than the cost of fixing the nose cap and the back of the truck if the two were to ever hit. All comes down to personal choice and comfort. Welcome to the group.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #11
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I have the pull rite hitch but be sure to buy a big enough 1 so when you trade up you take your hitch ,, i can turn past a 90 on a short bed as you get in a bad parking lot and somday you won't get out without it as i had it up to about 120 deg on minr this past fall in mich as i ran into a dead end parking lot and couldn't get out anyother way but swing it the lot was 100 ft long but only 40' wide and i was nose in to a dead end driveway .. i got it out john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It seems that everyone that I've met who has a TV with a short box and no slider hitch has either got a dent on either side of the cab or some type of damage to the nose of the rig. Better to have one if it is mandatory that you are going to stay with the short box truck.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #13
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I love my Superglide, Don't even think about turns, don't have to. Don't want to mess with manual slider.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
DUH !!! I should of read your letter a little more carefully. you don't have the indents on the 2004 model,either do I on my 2005. I wish they would have come up with that design a little sooner.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:52 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The new design is no guarantee that you don't need a sliding hitch. As long as TV and Trailer are on level ground you "may not" need a sliding hitch. I say "may not" as the jury is still out on that.
BUT get into a situation where the trailer is on a slightly bit higher ground than the TV and you no longer have all that advantage of the new cap. For example, backing into a site that is up hill. As the back of the trailer goes up the nose comes down. Now have the nose down while backing up that hill and at the same time being in turning situation. The nose all of a sudden is coming at the TV.

I had my Superglide on my 2004 2955RL and I now use it on my 2007 3485. Do I need it on the 3485? Probably 95% of the time NO but it's that 5% that I don't want to worry about. And being that you don't need a sliding hitch 95% of the time you become very complacent. All of a sudden you are in one of those 5% situations and you never even thought about sliding the hitch. My Superglide is always back there and always doing it's job and always giving me that peace of mind and always making my life a whole lot easier.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #16
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I have a manual slider in my F250 short bed. In the year I have been pulling (4,000 miles) I have used it probably four times. I have hit the cab once on flat ground at a fuel stop. Found I need about 75 feet outside to outside of the turn to just clear the cab. While looking in the mirrow watch for the corner of the camper nose to start inside of the bed then I know I am ready to hit the cab.

Even though I have only used it four times it is not an option but a requirement for a shortbed truck. The 2005 F250 bed is longer then most short beds but it didn't help.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have owned short beds in the past and had a slider hitch. Never used it, however it was there if needed. We have a long bed now and have no need for the slider. I also try never to back the 5er into a site that requires jacking the 5er so much as to have contact with the TV's cab. It puts so much stress on the axles and frame. Good Luck on your choice.... GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:10 AM   #18
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Replying to this a little late as we just returned from the last trip of the season.

I purchased a used 2005 2955RL last year. Was told to get a slider hitch which I did. It wasn't until I picked up the 5er that I realized that it had an extended pin box. That made a big difference. Lots of room with the 2006 Duramax 4-door short box.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:05 AM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I don't have a slider hitch, and have the dent in the cab to prove it!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #20
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I've got the Reese Slider in my Chevy shortbed! I've used it nearly every time I back into my driveway to load or unload and when I park it in storage when not using it! The day I had mine installed I filled up with fuel and a guy filling up next to me was towing a fiver and his back window and right rear of the cab were damaged bad as well as the nose of his fiver. He said he forgot about moving it when he was parking that evening before and BAM that was the end of his slider window on his Ford. Glad I put one in mine after hearing that!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote