Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Tow Vehicle

Hello everyone, I'm setting up my tv a 2007 Bib Horn Edition 3500 Dodge,6.7. I'm haveing the bed liner sprayed in june 20th. I'm still not sure which tow hitch to install, I'm thinking about the air ryde hitches, maybe the 20k. I need your imput, It needs to handle the 07 montie 3485SA. And the air bags for the rear firestone air ryde, is the onboard compressor a good thing or just the manual ones? Any help would be appreciated, We hope to start our travels around the first of July 07. Randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We have the 3485SA hooked to a 2500HD GMC with the Firestone Airbags. We opted for the manual air lines but the on board compressor does come in handy and one day I just might add it.
At the time of purchase we had the dealer add the MorRyde pin box and I would highly recommend it. The ride difference between the standard pin box and the MorRyde is significant. I would not hesitate doing it again.
As far as the hitch, I recommend the PullRite Super 5th. Yes it is a little pricey but the hitching mechanism is full proof. With the Super 5th there is no need for a bed saver. To me the knowledge that the trailer's king pin is not going to slip out of the hitch allowing the trailer to drop on the bed rails is well worth the price.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I guess I have a question, too...why put air bags on a 3500? Do they make the ride better unloaded...don't need them with the Montana hooked up. If they improve the empty ride, maybe I should look into them. Don't know.

As for the air hitch/pin box question. I did the same thing Glenn did, opted for an air pin box rather than an air hitch...does not work quite as well as the air hitch, but is a great improvement in ride, and is about one fourth the cost. I have the 5th Airborne (www.fifthairborne.com).

I have a 16k Husky made by RBW...it has a sliding bar that slides and locks behind the pin, so you know for sure when it is locked. Also comes out in two parts...easy to remove from the truck.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I would give the air ride TrailerSaver a look as well

http://www.trailersaver.com/

Costwise, it most likely will come out even and it's a well built hitch.

I agree with Bert - not sure I would jump into the truck airbags until you are sure you need them. Our F350 does great without them. I think they are more useful on the 250/2500.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have the Trailer Saver air ride hitch, it has been in 3 different TV's so for. For the price you want get a better Hitch. Most of the MDT TV's, or should I say a lot are using the TS. Ours is a 20,000 lb cap. and has a 4500 lbs pin weight. Nothing Keystone has at this time requires more weigh towing and pin weight capacity. The TS will take a lot of stress off the frame and will make things ride better in the 5er. We don't remove anything from our counter tops, such as the coffee maker and the can opener. Everything rides so much better.

As for the Air bags, you want need them with the 3500. The 3500's are designed to carry the pin weight and has awesome towing ability. Good Luck with your choice.... GBY....

P.S. Also the Trailer Saver will fit the Reese and Valley Huskey bed rails. Just pull 4 pins and you can remove the TS.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
All Thanks for the great input, I'm in tomorrow to have the Line-X sprayed in at 11:00 a.m. The next day the trailer hitch and P-3 Brake controller,and the wiring of the plug in the bed. In week after that I ordered the 5th airborne pin box. I followed your advice and cancelled having the rear airbags installed. I'll try the first pull without them,We head for Olmypia Wa. around the first of July. Thanks again for the fast response.Randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As far as the Airbags they do eliminate the squat. Especially important when driving at night with the trailer attached. With the squat you will forever having oncoming drivers flashing their lights thinking you are using hi beam. It did improve the ride a bit but, in my opinion, not enough to warrant the purchase.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Randye, I have a truck similar to yours and don't think you'll need the airbags. Your 3500 has the overload leaf on the rear springs that the 2500 does not have. The airbags provide the support on the 2500 that the overload leaf handles on the 3500.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I agree with Glenn about the Super 5th hitch. You do need to make sure that you don't high-hitch it, though. The dealer we bought from was helping me to hitch and unhitch and once, when I was hitching, the tech was distracted and he heard the "clunk" and said I was good to go. I looked and didn't see what I thought I should - I asked him to look and he paled immediately! Our solution was simple: I used red nail polish on clam when it is closed. If I see the red, then all is good.

I did have a bedsaver, but when I got the 07 dually, the 3400 was sitting a little low in the front so I raised the hitch in the truck. Unfortunately, the bedsaver could not be re-installed. I reluctantly got rid of the bedsaver, but with the red nail polish trick I have no fears.

As for a pin box, I would highly recommend the glide-ride from Demco: http://glide-ride.com/ It costs $739, but we have had a wonderful time with it - no chucking, etc.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with Michael about painting the jaws a color you can clearly see. Mine are silver.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote