Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
Trail Air suspension

After the demonstration at the rally in Buellton re: Moryde, I felt it was time to check the shackles and see what their condition was. Well it was not good and I did not want to drive to Indiana for Moryde but I needed to fix it. I went to Mike Thompsons RV and they said they install TrailAir a similiar system and we have the TrailAir hitch pin so,Why Not try it. Our 3280RL Montana is a 2003 model picked up in July of 2002 and without any problems with the exception of tires which were all replaced. When they checked the bearings they needed packing and the brakes needed replacing other then that all is well. I pick it up on friday and we will go to Temecula on sunday to spend a week at Pachanga, I will advise of the change in towing next week.

Bill

Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:08 AM   #2
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Bill, I just installed the Trail air system on my Mountaineer. It is called the Equa-flex. The Equa-flex basically replaces your spring equalizer between the axles. It was a fairly simple install that made a big difference in the ride quality of the fiver. I don't notice it so much driving on smooth roads (wherever they are) but it made a noticeable difference going over railroad tracks and expansion joints on the freeway. It made a big difference over Memorial Day when I was boondocking and had to travel on 6 miles of rough dirt road. For $280.00 I think it was money well spent. here is a link with some pictures. http://hendersonslineup.com/uncatego...ler-equalizer/
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
Thank you Bruce,I was not aware of that type of suspension the ones that I bought were a lot more ($1100) plus installation, I also hope that the money is well spent I'll find out tomorrow.

Bill
Old 06-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Bill, it sounds like you bought the Trail air suspension with the air bag. That is Trail Air's original suspension system and it it supposed to be about as good as it gets. I think the one I bought was developed to compete with they Mor-ryde system. I'm sure you will be happy, as I have never heard any negatives about that Trail-air system.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
The TrailAir suspension has improved the fifth wheels ride and the contents don't get bounced around like before. I am more than pleased with the change as the original bushings were worn through and ready to split causing a bigger problem they replaced the plastic ones with bronze. We have the TrailAir hitch also and with the combination the fifth wheel pulls & rides better. I also did not have to go to Indiana to have it installed and suspension appears similiar to the MorRyde system at about a third of the cost.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We also had the TrailAir Equaflex with bronze wet bushings installed. It does help improve the ride, but I think you must have the CenterPoint system that seems to be even better. One big difference from Mor-Ryde is that the EquaFlex is a drop in replacement for the original equalizer, the MorRyde requires removal of the original hangers and re-welding the new suspension.

Now that TrailAir is owned by Lippert, it will be interesting to see if TrailAir components start appearing on Montanas from the factory. I noticed a new Cedar Creek being transported that seemed to have TrailAir suspension from the factory.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote