Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #21
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by june2005

Just learned about 50 lb and 80 lb valves reading the MOC. My dealer said to put in 50/ 55 lbs of air. The sticker on the left front of our 3280rl before it washed away said 80 lbs of air. After purchasing the 5vr and an air compressor, I dutifully put the pressure to 80. After that, PARKED, all 4 valves leaked and had to be replaced. The metal stem inserts came loose from the rubber. Question now is what are the replacements. Two ended up looking like the originals and two are all rubber. We never seem to run out of things. I'll keep reading. Thanks all for your always valuable input. Earl
june2005,
When the metal stems leaked, did you try to tighten the stems with a nut driver? Most times this will solve the problem...just tighten gradually.

Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:58 AM   #22
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Searchers

I think you see more tire failures on RV's than tow vehicles because the RV's weight is much closer the maximum tire rating than the tow vehicles. For example, my load range E tires on the tow vehicle are rated at 3415 lbs. each for a total load capacity of 13360 lbs. The tow vehicle weighs approximately 6800 lbs. I believe the load range D tires on my Montana are rated at 3024 lbs. for a total of 12096 lbs. while the GVWR of the Montana is 11040lbs.
Not to sidetrack this thread but I'm curious if the rate of failure for tires carries over to class A->C motorhomes. I've not seen any issues with these RVs and wonder why this seems to be a TT/5W problem?
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:33 AM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
315RLS,
Good question. I do not know other than this is a Forum that mainly discusses 5th wheel and TT issues. I have seen and read a number of articles and have seen in person several blowouts and tread separations on class C and A motor-homes.

Last year going up I-5 we almost got clobbered by some debris from a class C blowout. And a fellow in a class A posted a sad story about his problem with tires..... he was motoring down the road and noticed some smoke coming in the coach. Turns out he had blowout and it caught fire. He could not get off the road because of rails along side the road. Finally got it off and tried putting it out but no luck. A 250K ++++ burned to the ground. Good news... they all got out. On top of losing his rig... it was noted that he had the tire monitoring system on his coach. It gave no warning until the very last minute ..... when it was too late.....

So it does happen to other type RV rigs.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:02 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same here we have seen many tires failures on Motor homes. Had a talk with my tire guy this AM.In fact his parents are the folks that bought our TT .Told him we were going to the factory today and what should we look for in the way of tires. He noted that he was amazed at the RV manufactures who rate the tires based on the dry weight of the RV and others who rate just within or at the weight limits.Said that the major cause of failure is , of course , under inflation, Over inflation and over loading..but added that most of the OEM tires that he has seen offer no flexibility. Also recommended the metal screw in Stems for a Rv of the 3670 size and if the Montana did not have them he would install them.(no charge) would also check the tire balancing and Axel alignment.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:39 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I remember a few years ago when I frequented the usenet RV newsgroups there were discussions about Class A tire failures so I think this is not limited to trailers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote