Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
Montana_1794
Established Member

M.O.C. #1794
Fresh Water Tank Leak

Sometime ago I read about someone who had repaired their tank and it showed a picture of it I believe.

If so where would I find it -- we may have frozen up this past winter that cause this problem.

Give me some ideas/options please. Thanks again.

Montana_1794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:31 AM   #2
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I was at least one of them. Do a search for "plastic welding". You will need to find out what kind of plastic the fresh water tank is made of. You could call a Montana customer relations person as that is how I found out the holding tanks are made of ABS.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:58 AM   #3
Montana_1794
Established Member

M.O.C. #1794
Keystone say's it's OK to use Plastic Weld. Any ideas on how to get to the tank from underneath -- I see black underbelly material and stabilizer jacks. Need any advice you may have. Thanks
Old 08-03-2005, 03:28 AM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
you would have to remove the underbelly to get to it. be prepared to have some of the screws snap off during the process though.personally I let the dealer do it last time just so I wouldn't have the agravation. (mine wasn't for a tank leak though)
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The tank is probably close to where the filler connection is. If you'll post which model of Montana you have maybe someone can tell you for sure. Once you know where it is located you'll need to drop the belly pan for that area. As Billy Ray said, have some spare screws on hand as they do tend to break fairly easily. Once you remove that section of the belly pan you should see the tank and be able to access it. If you have the Arctic Package there will be a sheet of insulated material you'll need to fold back also.

Do you think the tank contents froze or maybe the water lines?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:50 AM   #6
Montana_1794
Established Member

M.O.C. #1794

The Model is 2750RK -- Not sure if it is the tank or water line but last Nov./Dec. we used our trailer and thought we had it fixed so it wouldn't freeze. We insulated the water lines in the under belly, and put styro foam facuet covers over the Fresh Water Tank Drain and that's where we had a large ice ball. It filled up the styrofoam cover -- removed the ice and cover -- drained the tank and came home and winterized it for the winter months. Went to use it last week and saw water seeping from the under belly area close to the drain. What are your thoughts? Do you have to cut any of the under belly material or are they in sections. From what I saw it looks quite involved due to the Stablizer Jacks. Maybe I need to take a closer look. Appreciate any and all ideas. Thanks
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

The tank is probably close to where the filler connection is. If you'll post which model of Montana you have maybe someone can tell you for sure. Once you know where it is located you'll need to drop the belly pan for that area. As Billy Ray said, have some spare screws on hand as they do tend to break fairly easily. Once you remove that section of the belly pan you should see the tank and be able to access it. If you have the Arctic Package there will be a sheet of insulated material you'll need to fold back also.

Do you think the tank contents froze or maybe the water lines?
Old 08-05-2005, 04:39 AM   #7
Montana_1794
Established Member

M.O.C. #1794
We have our problem resolved, thanks to pointers from all the nice people using this site. We dropped the underbelly and saw a small leak where the line goes into the tank. Repaired that and buckled up the bottom and we are on our way for now. Thanks again to all.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
WildBill, I'd like to comment on the styrofoam on the low point drains. If you are in any serious cold, say mid teens or below, I really don't think those covers are going to be enough protection. I tried everything to stop those from freezing, including foam pipe insulation, roll insulation wrapped and duct taped, you name it. But they'd still eventually freeze. The freezing is not necessarily bad until it freezes up into the tee of the line and then it stops the water flow, as you likely already know. I finally heat taped those low point drains, then wrapped that with insulation and duct taped over all that. We then got down to 3 degrees F without freezing. But at 5 below they froze anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote