Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2005, 06:07 AM   #1
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
And a question about the water tank leak...

My fresh water tank seems to have developed a small crack in the ABS tank, right near the drain valve.

Any suggestions on repairing this crack??? How about doing the "tape weld" thing???

I see repair kits in the RV stores - with glass mat and epoxy. Will this hold on ABS plastic??

Thanks!!

skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skyguy

My fresh water tank seems to have developed a small crack in the ABS tank, right near the drain valve.

Any suggestions on repairing this crack??? How about doing the "tape weld" thing???

I see repair kits in the RV stores - with glass mat and epoxy. Will this hold on ABS plastic??

Thanks!!
Al, do a search in this forum for "plastic welding". I made a post two or three weeks ago that included links to information about how to weld plastic. I also have posted a picture of the plastic weld job I did on my grey tank in another thread within the past week.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
Eric's reapir will problably last longer than mine, but I fixed a very small leak on my gray tank with a skin of Loctite Stik 'n Seal. Just sand the area a little, apply it and let it cure 24 hours. It's a quick and low cost alternative.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nkwist

Eric's reapir will problably last longer than mine, but I fixed a very small leak on my gray tank with a skin of Loctite Stik 'n Seal. Just sand the area a little, apply it and let it cure 24 hours. It's a quick and low cost alternative.
Norm - where was your leak? Top, bottom?? I got a feeling that there is quite a bit of pressure on this area (very bottom of tank) when the fresh water is full.

Al
Old 07-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #5
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Quote:
quote:
Al, do a search in this forum for "plastic welding". I made a post two or three weeks ago that included links to information about how to weld plastic. I also have posted a picture of the plastic weld job I did on my grey tank in another thread within the past week.

Eric
Eric - can you give me more info on the welder you got from Harbor Freight?? I'm not able to find it...

Thanks,
Old 07-11-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:

Quote:
quote:

Eric
Eric - can you give me more info on the welder you got from Harbor Freight?? I'm not able to find it...

Thanks,
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41592

Beware that you need an air compressor to use with this. I have a small 2.2CFM compressor that is able to provide the 3-4PSI air stream that it requires. Also, if you get this go ahead and get a package of the extra welding rods as the welder only comes with 2 or 3 each of ABS, PVC, PP.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41602

Eric
Old 07-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Thanks, Eric

There is a HF store here in Colo Springs - looks like they will be seeing me this weekend
Old 07-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:

Thanks, Eric

There is a HF store here in Colo Springs - looks like they will be seeing me this weekend
That sale price is an on-line price. You should at least print out the web page showing the price. I got bitten by that when I visited the local brick & morter store.... Thankfully, I was able to talk them into giving me the sale price

Eric
Old 07-14-2005, 06:40 PM   #9
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
skyguy, my leak was in the radius where the drain valve is located. So far my repair is still holding. Good luck.

Norm
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:36 AM   #10
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
That sale price is an on-line price. You should at least print out the web page showing the price. I got bitten by that when I visited the local brick & morter store.... Thankfully, I was able to talk them into giving me the sale price

Eric

Yea take a copy of the sale add and HF will give you the same deal. They're really good abot that...

Dave
Montana_1929 is offline   Reply With Quote