Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
Camping World, St. George, Utah

We had to have a warranty repair on our 2016 HC 353 RL while staying in St. George, Ut. Our selling dealer contacted the local Camping World and they agreed to take care of it.

We had the side wall next to the refergirator end of the main slide pulling when opening/ closing. We took the trailer in so they could evaluate it, and they contacted Keystone. Keystone told them they'd authorize 4 hours, and the shop foreman (Pete) wasn't happy about that. The service manager stepped in (I was there when they were on the phone) said they'd fight with Keystone after the repair, it wasn't our problem. We made arraignments to have one of their mechanics (Ben) that used to work a SOB assembly line do the fix, and made an appointment that worked for both parties. Since we are on an extended trip, they understood the repair needed to be done as quickly as possible.

We took the trailer in on this past Monday first thing in the morning. The shop started working immediately, and we're done Tuesday mid day. The problem was a broken aluminum frame near the spot weld. The fix was a doubler riveted to the frame and screwed to the subfloor. This a type of repair we'd do in aviation, so I'm very confident it'll hold. The mechanic and shop foreman, however, feel it may not hold. When the claim goes to Keystone, that will be noted on the claim. I'm also going to call Keystone customer service and ensure this is noted.

If anyone is near St. George, Ut. and requires work, I can recommend the Camping World. From our experience there, they'll treat you good.

timandpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Nice to hear of another dealership that believes in great customer support. Sounds like it turned out good and I hope so. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Tom Marty
Old 04-07-2016, 02:58 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Glad to hear they took good care of you
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I hope the repair holds and you are still satisfied in 1 year.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Enjoy the rest of your trip, trouble free.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
What you are describing sounds like something that just started in mine a couple of days ago. I have an appointment next week to have it looked at by our local dealer. The side panel started rubbing on the floor making a slight mark but pulling the small panel off the slide at the bottom. Something moved internally. I don't see any other evidence except a slight drop in the slide next to the refer. Otherwise it is working fine. Is that what happened to your yours?

Russ & Nancy Porterfield
Half Fast Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:26 AM   #7
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
Half fast

That's almost word for word what we had, only difference is we have the residential fridge. The stud the slide cables go thru is only tack welded to very thin (maybe .020 thick) and every time the slide moves it transmits some of the stress to the surrounding area. The weld itself is stronger than the surrounding material, however due to the heat generated during welding, the immediate area is weakened slightly. Just like any other material, when it's flexed enough, it'll crack.

I have confidence the repair will hold, as I've done similar repairs on aircraft and they continue flying for many hours.

Sadly, since these trailers are built light, they shrimp on structure. However, I also feel that if this is a systemic issue, and Keystone is aware, they need to issue a (aviation world term) Service Bulletin and a repair kit.

Don't let your dealer doddle doing the repair. It isn't difficult to do, accessing is a ad fun. Our lower fascia was removed, the water heater loosened, and basement door removed. Once that was done, the mech had a view of the channel that was broken and just enough room to work. He had to use blind (pop) rivets, and the ones he used were spreading type.he also screw deaths repair to the subfloor. Keystone will probably only grant them 4 hours, but that isn't your problem.

I was told that normally the tops fail, and that is flat our bad as the wall has to be replaced.
timandpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #8
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
Thanks Tim,

If there are any questions on what was done, I can refer them back to your St George people as a reference. It will be interesting to see how our dealer will respond. Hopefully well. I'll keep you all posted.

Russ & Nancy Porterfield
Half Fast Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I find this quote from your post absolute music to my ears:

"Keystone told them they'd authorize 4 hours, and the shop foreman(Pete) wasn't happy about that. The service manager stepped in (I was there when they were on the phone) said they'd fight with Keystone after the repair, it wasn't our problem."

Now that is a real service from a dealer we all should be promoting. Enjoy the rest of your journey.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote