Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Propane Injection Systems

We just took delivery at work of a new high end 23,000 # capacity propane forklift to replace our old diesel unit. Well the guys got to talking and they wondered if it is possible to convert the old lift to propane. Our resident mechanic listened for awhile and then politely informed us that a diesel engine doesn't create enough heat to auto-ignite propane. So no to a conversion. He went on to say that propane injection units are available for diesels and that they are claimed to improve HP, torque and even mileage by increasing the efficiency of the combustion of the diesel fuel. Sure enough a web search turns up several models as well as a few naysayers. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this add-on.

MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Roger, when you said "propane injection units are available for diesels and that they are claimed to improve HP, torque and even mileage by increasing the efficiency of the combustion of the diesel fuel." did you mean Propane fuel? Or would that be using Propane injectors to inject the propane fuel? I'm confused as a novice on diesels.

I had always thought that propane forklifts were used because they did not produce the smell and black smoke that diesels did and better for inside use.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Adding propane is an accepted method of increasing HP for diesels. DOT only allows a relatively small propane bottle to be added but it does increase HP and torque. It is one of those mods done that will void most manufacturers warranties as well.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Go ahead and you pick up the pieces later.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Roger,
This is something a friend of mine is considering as a better alternative, check it out.

http://www.snowperformance.net/ Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have a nephew back here in Nebraska that has added propane injection to his diesel and really likes it! More power and better mpg. Warranty is not a concern for him since the pickup is about 10-12 years old and has about 140,000 on it now! Runs like a top! There are a number of guys up around my home town that run the propane injection and really like it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:26 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Talking to a neighbor who 'races' a lot -- has propane on his Dodge diesel and really spoke highly of it -- did the original install himself and then had Diesel Performance out of St Joseph MO fine tune it for him. Said a bottle of propane (forgot to ask how large) lasts him several thousand miles unless he is in the mountains of CO; then he goes through it much quicker. According to him it only kicks in when he is passing or putting a heavy foot into it (mountain passes, etc..). Didn't even know he had it -- he is normally very quiet in the neighborhood (unless he is running his race car engine for some reason -- now that beast is loud -- but he never drives it on the streets around here - a great neighbor.....)
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
I should have noted, the snow performance link is about water/methane injection.

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Roque:

The propane injection system I referred to is for diesel trucks. In a turbo diesel it is injected before the turbo and tied to boost. I asked our mechanic about it and he said his experience was limited to heavy trucks used in mining.

Here is one link but there are others including one from Banks that is not favourable. Given what they sell might be in competition I always am wary of the potential for self-serving comments. That is why I asked the MOC'rs for opinions/experiences.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...kit/index.html
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote