Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Extended Dealer Stay

We had some minor work to be done on our camper and had the choice between our selling dealer (500 miles away) and our local Montana dealer. So, we dropped the Montana off at the local dealer in November. We didn't care how long it took, since we wouldn't be needing it until April. I did believe we'd have it back earlier than it is but they finally finished the work this week. I got a call today that the front compartment was leaking - the batteries froze and cracked. (4) 6v batteries at $106 each. I didn't even think to take the batteries out, or disconnect the cables. Anyone else had this issue and how did you handle it?

rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I have not had this happen but life does happen doesn't it. If I was in this position I would go pick it up, take it home, clean up the mess, and install 4 new batteries and consider it a lesson learned. Hoping it cleans up good for you.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
Hey Ron,

I hope you guys are doing well. Sorry to hear about the battery mess. My best guess is there was some small parasitic load that discharged the batteries to completely dead. At that point, you basically have just water in them because of the chemical process that occurs during discharge. So,,,, batteries have to be fully charged with no load to be stored at freezing temps. But, I'm sure you already know that.

Cleanup can be handled by flushing the battery area/front basement with a mixture of baking soda and water. That will neutralize the old battery acid. After that a flush with clean water, dry, and repaint any areas where the paint lifted.

I'll bet you already know all this, but thought I would just pass it on.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
They should have made sure your batteries were charged but at this point if they won't make it right there isn't much you can do about it. Take your losses and move on. Stress causes heart attacks.
Where did you get batteries for $106?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Lynwood, they gave them to me at cost, washed the coach and installed them. Lesson learned. Dave, we never planned on them having it five months. If this ever happens again, I'll disconnect the ground from the batteries. Our rear camera is always on.
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote