Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
C&KMessina
Established Member

M.O.C. #19933
Repair help

My wife and I full time our 2005 Montana 5th wheel and love it.

I also work for an rv repair shop.

We do insurance and warranty repairs as well as anything else needed our only competition is Camping World who sends us all their major mechanic issues..

If anyone needs any advice or help or even just an odd question please feel free to message me.

C&KMessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Thanks for the offer. Be ready, you might be overwhelmed with requests for help or info.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
C&KMessina
Established Member

M.O.C. #19933
No worries I can handle it
Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
Wow you are great. Have no questions now (new rig) but I will remember you. I don't like taking stuff to the dealer particularly if it is minor.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will get plenty of questions.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
DC turns on and off

Question: I picked up a 2012 Montana 295RKD. This last month was the real shakedown. Spent 3 weeks with full hookups, 30 Amp service. I noticed that my 12 volt lights would go bright than dim every few minutes. More lights on the worse it got. It was like something was turning on and off, draining the power. I am suspecting the converter. Had a similar problem with my old Alpha. DC would trip. Found to be a bad cooling fan on the converter. (Replaced it $10) never to have another problem. Montana is good at hiding things. Have no clue where the converter is hidden. AC comes in from the rear bumper and front area has the hydraulic units. Any ideas or simple things I could try before I search. I am well versed in electrical ac/dc. Thanks for any help I can get before I rip into this problem.
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
I would suspect that the condition of your battery may have an effect on the dimming of you lights and causes them to get brighter when the converter is charging.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
On our rig, the converter is part of the electric distribution panel assembly. It may be different on a 30 amp rig. We also had instances when the lights would brighten and dim, but have not had a problem since we upgraded to LED bulbs. I suspect the voltage changes during battery charging and the normal operation of the smart charger could be the cause of the voltage fluctuation.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
C&KMessina
Established Member

M.O.C. #19933
On a 30 amp rig the power distribution panel is also the front of the converter. The first thing I would do is have the battery checked as the converter is also the charger and a drop in voltage makes the converter work harder.

Next is check voltage coming in on the power pole then check the power at your distribution panel it should be 110 or better if its lower at any location your 12 volt isn't being charged correctly. Then check the voltage at the battery see if there is a solid 13.1 or more when the converter is charging the battery. If both check out you may have a ground short.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&KMessina View Post

We do insurance and warranty repairs as well as anything else needed our only competition is Camping World who sends us all their major mechanic issues..

If anyone needs any advice or help or even just an odd question please feel free to message me.
How about opening a shop in the Carolinas?!!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:10 PM   #11
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Is a damaged shower stall (fiberglass, gelcoat) easy to repair? Take a look at this and let me now what you think.

Thanks

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=72289
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #12
Oldblue
Established Member

M.O.C. #18879
Any advice on using a roof coating on a bedroom slide out to resolve a minor leak? Know it's not coming from windows, I used Eterna bond tape on the long seam and that took care of 99 %. Wondered if best to coat whole slide out roof with something? Thanks
Oldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:40 AM   #13
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Check your rubber seal at the top, I've seen them delaminate in spots and let water in behind. I now run a small bead of silicone along the top of the seal. You have to use a dull putty knife or similar to hold it a little from the side as you put the silicone caulk on. Also it doesn't hurt to put a small dab on all the screws that hold the trim etc.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #14
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldblue View Post
Any advice on using a roof coating on a bedroom slide out to resolve a minor leak? Know it's not coming from windows, I used Eterna bond tape on the long seam and that took care of 99 %. Wondered if best to coat whole slide out roof with something? Thanks
Also check the silicone caulking around the outside 4" trim that goes all the way around the slide (the one you bang your head on while walking by). If that caulking is cracked or gone your slide floor will be wet.

Mark
Old 01-31-2018, 10:45 AM   #15
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Anyone looking for help from C&KMessina would do well to start a new thread to ask their question. C&KMessina has not posted anything on this thread or on the forum since last October. Maybe someone else can help.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:57 AM   #16
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Also make sure you caulk the top of the 1" trim that goes along the rubber roof & the screw head's

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC 4x4 LB 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:58 AM   #17
Miss Mary
Established Member

M.O.C. #21119
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&KMessina View Post

I recently bought a 2002 3280RL Montana to pull to Nevada in May and full time in near my daughter & grandkids. I bought an all in one vented washer/dryer to install in the laundry closet that is located between my bed and toilet. I am nervous about there being wiring or anything in that outside wall where I need to install my vent kit, but have been unable to find a wiring or plumbing diagram for any Montana 5th wheel. Any insight would be appreciated!
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #18
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
"wiring or plumbing diagram" ~~ you can look at several of the same model and even same year and find differences. Are wiring or plumbing diagram even on the floor during the build process? Keystone has rarely if ever provided them even to dealers.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #19
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Again I would recommend anyone looking for help about any problems they may have that they start a new thread. You would likely get more and better answers faster. C&KMessina, who started this thread offering repair help, has not been active on this forum since Oct. 30, 2017. And has never responded to any questions.

Moderators should delete this thread.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #20
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mary View Post
I recently bought a 2002 3280RL Montana to pull to Nevada in May and full time in near my daughter & grandkids. I bought an all in one vented washer/dryer to install in the laundry closet that is located between my bed and toilet. I am nervous about there being wiring or anything in that outside wall where I need to install my vent kit, but have been unable to find a wiring or plumbing diagram for any Montana 5th wheel. Any insight would be appreciated!
On an outside wall it's pretty unlikely to run into any plumbing, And I think the wires and such are also under the floor and most come up into an interior wall. I'd cut my hole on the interior first, (a nice cut) and you should be able to see if there's anything in your way. Watching for studs of course.

Mark