Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #1
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Back up camera and TPMS bluetooth issues?

Hello,
We recently added a TPMS which works through smart phone and wireless booster under the fifth wheel frame. Problem is, all of a sudden Furrion back up camera will not boot when the TPMS is in use. (At least, I am guessing that is what is happening). Anyone know a work around for this or know if the two systems wont work at the same time for some reason?
Thanks,
Max

MaxwellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
summer home
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21038
I would ask Furrion
summer home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
Jeffrey
Established Member

M.O.C. #22834
Did you ever find out your question on TPMS and furrion? Please let me know if you did!
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Did you ever find out your question on TPMS and furrion? Please let me know if you did!
Sorry I have dropped the ball on this. We got back, parked it and went back to work. I will try to find some time to call this week. Thanks for the reminder ‘ I will get back to you.
Max
Old 11-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
TPMS and Furrion back up camera interference

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellD View Post
Sorry I have dropped the ball on this. We got back, parked it and went back to work. I will try to find some time to call this week. Thanks for the reminder ‘ I will get back to you.
Max
Finally got a hold of Furrion about this issue. I was told by tech services rep John that I am not the only one having this problem. There is no work-around
that he knows of. It has to do with RF interference. Looks like when I would like to use the B/u camera, I will need to turn off the TPMS. Since that connnection is in the front storage of the RV at the battery, I probably wont be using the camera that much. I only used it a few times anyway. It is nice to see what is behind you when backing up, but as far as a big help, it is better to have DW on the phone assisting me anyway.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
Pops8
Established Member

M.O.C. #21706
What brand of TPMS do you have?
Old 11-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #7
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops8 View Post
What brand of TPMS do you have?
It is the Tire Minder system. I like the smart phone interface and features of this system. It is the only one i have any experience with. Maybe others dont have this issue?
Old 12-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #8
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
My findings...

I to have the exact same set up as you do with the TMPS and Furrion. I have a '16 3791 pulling with '12 Chevy 3500 4dr. My Furrion backup system has never worked properly until I bought the adapters and some RG6 coax cable. I ran the cable across the top using cable ties mounts stuck to the roof until I got the antenna mounted on the front air conditioner. This is the only time the Furrion has worked flawlessly, continuously.
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on the adapter you use? Did you remove the antenna from its original location on the camera for relocation to the front A/C? Not sure how that'd work - I thought it was self-contained in a camera module mounted back there.
Max
Old 12-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
Hi Maxwell

I will try to be as exact as I can with my parts list. Most all came from Amazon. The coax I think I got at wally world.
I-MART 45 Degree Gold Plated RP-SMA Male to RP-SMA Female Antenna Adapter… This screws onto camera after removing antenna. I used this to point the next adapter and subsequent coax straight up as opposed to looping out away from the trailer.
DHT Electronics 2pcs RF coaxial coax adapter RP-SMA male to F female…you actually only need one, but they came in a 2 piece set. This screws into the 45 deg adapter.
50’ roll of RG6 coax cable. I also bought an extra end because I shortened my cable to proper length. I didn’t want all the extra laying on the roof.
RF Adapter 50 ohms Standard F-type Jack with Female Basket to SMA Plug with male center pin. This goes between the coax and the antenna.
A bag of 25x25mm self-adhesive cable tie mounts. (Use alcohol and rag to clean spot for mount, allow to dry, press in place.)
For my test purposes, I zip-tied the antenna to the front A/C cover. I will make a more permanent bracket next year and still mount it on the side.
The reason I did not use a regular SMA coax cable (effectively eliminating the adapters) is the lengths they came in, either too short or too long. I don’t like waste and I despise sloppy!

Also, for what it’s worth after this described move above, I removed all I had done to try a longer/better db antenna at the rear AND moved it higher to effectively reach “over” the coach. The results were only the slightest best than the original stock mount at the camera.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Jaws
Thank you for the excellent and well written explanation. I understand completely. This is the kind of stuff that makes this forum great!
I appreciate it,
Max
Old 12-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
My pleasure!

Max,
First, thank you for the kind words!
I think it may be a good thing you look st your antenna by taking it out first. The real concern to get the right parts is seeing if the antenna has the "pin" or the "hole" then getting the right parts accordingly. Amazon provided great pictures for the adapters. I think some had male nuts but a female hole inside. I know one I ordered wrong but was cheap enough I didn't send it back. But I'm sure you will do it right. It's pretty easier but it will take a little time.
Good luck my friend,
Joel
Old 12-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #13
Mike639
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19743
Why do you need the TPMS if backing up?? I would turn off the TPMS as needed to see behind me.
Mike639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #14
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Agreed, but to turn off TPMS the way mine is powered, I have to detach the power from the battery terminals in the rig, then boot up the Furrion. Looking for a way to have them both booted-up ready to use as needed without having to go through all that. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #15
Mike639
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19743
MaxwellID-

This had me doing some thinking. What it made me think of was using a relay. You would need to tap into your reverse lights on the plug so you could enigerize the relay. Once the relay was energized and wired to the TPMS system it would effectively “turn off” the power to the TPMS and allow the camera to work.

The link below is the relay I used in conjunction with my inverter (aftermarket) and converter (factory). Essentially whenever I turn on my inverter converter it loses its power.

Functional Devices RIB2401B Enclosed Relay, 20 Amp Spdt with 24 Vac/Dc/120 Vac Coil https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LEUJU6..._Vfr1w4A4U6kgb
Old 12-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #16
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
That kind of thinking would get me in trouble Mike (LOL)! I dont have the expertise (or the patience) to do that, however it appears that may solve the problem - in part anyway. Part of the problem is the weak signal from the camera competing with other RF devices on board, owing to the antena location. I am going to try the Jaws technique first. That alone will test the limits of my skills. Meantime, the backup camera will play second fiddle to the TPMS. I appreciate your idea though - probably a patent-worthy solution for many people.
Max
Old 12-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #17
Mike639
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19743
It was worth a shot. I really love being able to turn on the inverter and not flipping the breaker for the converter

Good luck and keep us updated!!