Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Report: sunscreen and 105+ weather

After about two weeks of daily 100+ weather, I can report significant relief from installing exterior sunscreens. I did a do-it-yourself project with screening material rated at 90% reduction. My picture window catches the afternoon/evening sun. I put them all the way around, even on the end windows of the slides. It has made a major difference in our ability to regulate the afternoon temperatures in the living area. Our last utility bill reported the average daily temperature for the month of June was 99 degrees here in drought plagued Central Texas.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Do you have a link for these? I've seen a lot of posts for these recently (must be summertime), but I don't know much about them, what they are called, which ones work the best, etc. I just want to know what I've searched for on the web is what y'all have been talking about. Do they also mount inside, outside, either way, etc.? Do you leave them on in winter (more insulation factor)?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
How about some pictures and details about how you did it.
Living in north Texas where 100+ is common, I put them on our stick house a number of years ago. Really helped a lot on it and I can see where it would help on the trailer also.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Here is a site that someone posted on here a while back, the shades are held on by magnets. Kind of an interesting concept.

http://www.magneshade.com/
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Until I get around to pictures, here's what I did. I covered 8 windows, two on the entertainment slide, three on the end cap, and three on the main slide.
Materials:
  • 48"X25' roll of Phifer Sun Tex 90 from Lowes
  • Adhesive studs, sockets with pins and caps from EZ-Snap (online)
  • Isopropyl alcohol
  • Scissors
  • Tape measure
Measure windows to be covered. Add 2" to the outside dimension, then lay out dimensions on the material and cut the pieces. wipe down the area around the window with isopropyl alcohol to get any wax off. Affix the adhesive studs to the surface around the windows about one foot apart. Snap on the sockets, with pins, onto the studs. Position the material over the pins. Then put the caps on the pins to lock the screen material in between. The screens snap off when you are ready to remove them.

Using 48" wide material has one drawback. I had to splice a piece at the bottom of the picture window. I spliced at the lower part of the window where the vents are and the black frame runs. From the inside looking out it is nearly invisible. You can buy 60" screen fabric online at Wholesale Screens and Glass in 50' or longer roles.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Like your idea Stiles, Might even do it to a large bow on south side of stickhouse. We have had high 90s all week with high humidity. Cooled down to 91 today with a dry cool breeze What a releif. Thanks for posting mod. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Stiles, do you remove the screens before traveling? Did you try to standardize them for the common-sized windows so you do not have to place them back on a specific window?
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Good idea, Stiles....a lot cheaper than window awnings...I will look into them...thanks

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

Here is a site that someone posted on here a while back, the shades are held on by magnets. Kind of an interesting concept.

http://www.magneshade.com/
These are held on by magnets, some on the outside, some on the inside, they are very expensive.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
kylec2, I do remove them for travel since they are snap-ons. I am not sure how much wind speed they will take and stay snapped. I am not concerned by 60 or 70 mph winds standing still, but you add a forty mph head wind to driving 60 mph and that is over 100 mph. Only two of my windows are the same size. They are those long, narrow windows beside the recliners in the back of rear living coaches.

If some of you live close together, you can order bulk roles and divide them up. You can also check with EZ-Snap for better pricing on a larger volume of the three piece snaps. If you go over $200, you get free shipping. EZ-snap is brutal on shipping. I used nearly 90 snap sets on the 8 windows I covered. EZ-Snap also has a $1.00 tool to help you quickly and easily unsnap for removal.

Motorized or spring loaded roll up for the back would be easier....and much more expensive. I did the entire job for under $200.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:18 AM   #11
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Stiles,
Any pictures of the installed sunscreen on your trailer?

Thanks in advance..

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Last winter in Florida our AC couldn't keep the place cool and ran constantly. It reached 90 95 degrees inside the 5er several times. I had a Carefree Sunshade installed over the large picture window and we're hoping that will help cool it somewhat. It's mounted outside and it operates like a window shade...has a pull down strap.
Snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote