Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Laminate flooring

After looking at all of the great jobs done by other MOCer's, we have also decided to take out the carpet and install laminate flooring.

In all of the photos that have been submitted, no one used any underlayment when installing the floor. I was wondering if I need to put underlayment down prior to installing the floor.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glen's opinion is that you don't need any underlay because you're not putting it down on concrete. You also probably don't have enough room to put down a layer of something else since the slides have to close over the flooring. Be sure to check for any screws that are hanging down. They will scratch the floor is they're hanging down from the slide. None of this is based on our experience, just what we've discussed with other MOCers.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I haven`t done it in the Montana as of yet-the rug is still in really nice shape.but I did put down laminated flooring in my living room at home.Got it at Home Depot.It had a backing already on it.It was an easy install as it just snaped together no glue.With a new puppy in my mitts its been great for those puppy accidents.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Thanks,

I bought mine at Home Depot also and when I read the instructions, it didn't say one way or another whether to use the underlayment. The flooring does have the backing on it so most likely won't use the underlayment.

I will be sure to check all of the screws. I saw that another MOCer had had problems with the screws on his slide scratching the flooring.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
It is not necessary to put down underlayment. We put down flooring this past Spring. You may need to adjust your slides. You may get some scuffing from bottom of slide while going down the road. We noticed this after our last trip. We are planning on putting something on floor under slide to keep this from happening. It cleaned up nicely, and you can't see the scuffing, but I am concerned it maybe a problem over time. We bought our flooring a Lumber Liquidators. They are individual pieces that snap together. Very pleased with the results.
We did the entire coach including bathroom and bedroom. Also, put in oak stairs.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Well, it's done. We finally finished the last of the flooring today. Unfortunately, we didn't take pictures during the installation process. Have to say though, it looks absolutely beautiful.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Gary and Karen,

Congrats, hope you have a photo of the finished product. Would love to see it.

Did you do as some of the others have, just the main portion of the flooring, and not the part that is "in" the slides??

Al and Nita, I would love to see photos of the bedroom and stairs and stuff done! And, I will ask you the same, did you do the parts of the coach that is "in" the slides, or just the main parts of the floor?

I think it is fulltimedreamer that has great web page on this, but was just wondering if there were any tricks on this project that you all could share with us.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:50 AM   #8
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Carol, Would like to put some pictures up. We do have them, just can't figure out how to post a link to them. We did not do the slide part in living and dining room. When we did the stairs, we left the bottom step open under it making it easy for us to slip our shoes under there. We got many favorable comments on that feature at the Northeast Rally. I think it was because there is no place to put your shoes. We have some other improvements as well and when we figure it out, we will post them all.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:55 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
To add pictures, click on "HOME" on the top R/H corner and then there's a link in the R/H column that says "Adding A Photograph To The MOC Forum" (or just click on the link below)

http://www.montanaowners.com/AddingPhoto.html
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:59 AM   #10
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I saw Al and Nita's coach at the NE rally and they did a great job. on the flooring. Looks great!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:51 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Al and Nita

first the photos will need to be reduced in size, inches and bytes, well, first, if they are not digital, they need to be scanned.

then follow the link VanMan gives and see if you can follow the directions. If not, contact Glenn or (shhhhh, or ole Carol) and we can help you. I am getting ready to start some heavy duty book editing for a group and for me too, so I can't always help, but catch me now if you can! HAHA

And, again, if those of you who did this have any hints, something you found that really helped the process, please share.

I would love to get rid of that carpet on the stairs and have a shoe bin. Ooops, catch the drool Carol! HA HA HA

Carol
Old 07-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #12
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Carol,
we only did the "living room" as the picture shows. I have to say that for amateurs, I think we did a really good job!!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is no doubt that when the carpet wears out, and we don't think that will take very long, we will do the wood floor.Helen did her 12X12 craft room with no problem. I would have liked to have seen that as a option.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:10 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Gary and Karen,

IT LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very nice!

Rich, I believe that Keystone stopped offering the wood (or wood like) floors, cause they were experiencing scratching of the product from the slides (mine in kitchen has small marks). I imagine the warranty work got to be tooooooooo much. If you put it in yourself, then, you have no claim against Keystone if it scratches. Just my thoughts on that.

Carol
Old 07-29-2006, 03:16 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
A really nice looking job! Congrats!

What is that on your lowest step? A vent cover?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:51 AM   #16
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
The cover is hiding an opening into the basement and the water lines. I think that it is also to supply heat to the water lines in the winter. I agree with you Rich, I would have liked to seen the wood flooring as an option, but as Carol said, it is prone to scratches. We found two yesterday after I brought the Monty home after some warranty work. Aggravating but we still love the laminate much better than the carpeting.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:47 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If the slides produce scratches on the Wood flooring what is it doing to the carpeting????
Old 07-29-2006, 07:19 AM   #18
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Ours was scruffed a little, but not because of slides coming in and out. It was caused by the black liner underneath the slide rubbing on it as we went down the road. Cleaned up nicely with magic eraser and now we put carpet pieces under slide. Place there after you slide it in. We have the 3670 and it was the dinette, couch slide. If it is scratching from going in and out, you can adjust the slide. We did that.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:20 AM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Well, Rich, there is that

Even after a number of adjustments, I get some marks along the outer edges of the slides, rollers or something.

ON EDIT: I am speaking of marks ON the carpet. Not sure that was clear before

Carol
Old 07-29-2006, 07:45 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I guess it is another one of those trade offs. We think the wood flooring will last longer, is easier to care for and looks better at least in the lower end of the camper.The bedroom does not get.as much traffic and the carpeting should last longer.