Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2005, 03:03 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Pros and cons of slide out awnings

I did a search on this and most people like them.

Are there any negative traits with these slide out awnings and are there people who prefer not to have them?

Thanks in advance, Wrench

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:43 AM   #2
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I will be interested in the replies, as we had one delivered yesterday for the bedroom slide.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:19 AM   #3
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

I did a search on this and most people like them.

Are there any negative traits with these slide out awnings and are there people who prefer not to have them?

Thanks in advance, Wrench

For me they'd be one more thing to clean and money that could be better spent elsewhere.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:37 AM   #4
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We have them on all three slideouts. The only thing I didn't like was the small fastening screws that came with ours. We bought them through camping world. I increased the fastener zies (screws) to 1/4X1 and have had no more problems with them. We have stayed at Westport Wash during Christmas so that Phyllis could Photograph some STorms and high seas for her Card Sale business and we withstood 30-50 mph winds with the slide toppers on and other than some rocking and rolling everything was fine. Don't wnat to do it again, but we did weather the storms, and Phyl got her shots.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:51 AM   #5
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I insisted on them when I ordered the unit over six years ago and would do the same again. They've held up well and only get cleaned when washing the roof a couple of times each year. The biggest advantage I've seen is that they prevent pine needles, leaves, moisture, etc. from being pulled inside when retracting the slides.

Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:10 AM   #6
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
My Carefree slide awnings each have a metal case that covers the roll while traveling, and helps knock off debris when bringing in the slides. One slide cover had to be mounted too low because of the patio awning's location, and it's the widest slide, so rain pools on it. When bringing in the slide, I just have to remember to bring it in gradually to allow the rain to flow off. Otherwise, I love having the covers. Before I had them installed, I brought in pine needles, leaves and small berries from trees.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:17 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You will get as many opinions on this as you can imagine. I for one do not like them because they have a tendency to sag and allow water to collect. They also can flap when the wind blows and cause them to rip. My dealer, Gary Ketelsen of Ketelsen RV in Hiawatha, IA, did not recommend them. He would have sold them to me if I had insisted, but I took his word for it. Gary said that they had some installed on units on display and the wind always raised havoc with them. The wind will cause them to unroll and flap up and down until they rip.

If a reliabe dealer doesn't recommend something for me, I'm not going to buy it.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:46 AM   #8
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
We've had ours (installed by Camping World) for a couple of months now. They make a little noise in high wind, but don't seem in danger of coming undone. I've not had them in the rain yet, but they keep the slides much, much cleaner and probably reduce interior heat in the summer. I'm glad we have them.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:56 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ours didn't come with them and so far we have not had any problems brushing off the slides before we bring them in. Need to spend money on other things right now. We may put them on in the future but with 4 slides, it will be expensive.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #10
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We had them installed at CW and really like them. Our rigs are parked under two large Ponderosa trees. wee get about two hundred cones a year off of each one. They fill a 8X4X3 foot trailer with cones and needles twice a year. But we don't have to sweep the roof and slides any more. The only problem we have had. Is where we stay in Mexico the pidgins want to nest on the slides. The opening is big enough for the pidgins but too small for the Gulls. Finely got some shrimp net that washed up on the beach and attached it with close pins and duck tape. Boy can a pidgin stop in a hurry.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Don't have them but I do have one question...Will they silence the sound of the rain? Trying to sleep with your head under the bedroom slide during the rain can be a real challenge.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:28 PM   #12
Montana_4791
Established Member

M.O.C. #4791
We don't have slide covers, nor do we want them. We have seen these covers ripped right off the units in Texas in the winter. Some very unhappy Winter Texans. We find cleaning the slides very easy and have no major problems. We have fulltimed in a King of the Road, with one slide, from 1997 until we bought our Montana. with 3 slides, in the fall of 2003. I also agree that if Gary Ketelsen, a great dealer in Iowa, doesn't recommend them, then I would not get them either!!!!! The old saying, to each his own, applies here!!
Montana_4791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:45 PM   #13
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Our unit does not have them either. I made a label and stuck it on the slide switch to remind me to check the roofs before bringing the slides in.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #14
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I don't have them, my dealer also suggested not to get them because I thought it was a good idea. Seems to be split about 50/50.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #15
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
As many of the other posters have mentioned, there are some good and bad things. Another good thing is that they do significantly silence the sound of the rain on all the slides.

We have had them for some time on our 98 Cardinal, and ordered them for our new 06 3400 to be delivered next week. Although I myself am in fairly good mechanical condition, and am able to get up on the trailer roof from time to time, I certainly don't have to do it any more just to sweep off the slides before bringing them in. I think they are certainly worth the money - now aluminum wheels ($600 more) now that's another question!?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:34 PM   #16
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Slide awnings I talked the dealer into as part of the sale when we got ours. We were "Winter Texans" one season and the awnings held up ok. Jeanne and I are in our mid 70's and I have no desire to get up on the trailer unless it's an emergency. I'd not be without 'em.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #17
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
We ordered slide awnings for all three slideouts on our 06 3295rk. I could not be happier with them. Our dealer did reccomend them and we are also very satisfied with our dealer. They made us a great deal on the unit and are very focused on customer service and customer satisfaction. The awnings do exactly what they were designed for. They open when the slide does, and they close when the slide closes. They do dampen the sound of rain. The best part is they keep debris on top of the slides to a minimum. I too am able to sweep the top of the slides, and did with my previous 5'er. I simply chose not to sweep them with this one.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #18
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Bob I used to ride the South Shore train from Chicago IL to E Chicago IN.

Glenn the reason we ordered the slide cover for the bedroom slide was because of the rain noise. We really have not needed them otherwise.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:42 PM   #19
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We have the slide awnings and like the way they keep the top of the slides clean and also offer another layer against the elements - rain, snow, sunshine, etc. My big one just delaminated. Of course it is out of warranty. I talked with my dealer and he says I can order just the fabric and reuse the hardware. He said the cost will be substantially lower than buying the entire kit. I'll post back when I find out the cost. Even with this problem, I still like the slide covers.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:19 AM   #20
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Another vote for the slide out covers. We had them installed by the dealer when purchasing the trailer. Our past 5er didn't have them and it was just a pain to climb up there every weekend to sweep off the leaves and stuff. So I insisted on getting the covers for that reason alone. Since I have noticed like others here have already stated it makes a gentle rain almost impossible to hear. Now if I could get something to quiet down the rain against the shower sky lite we could sleep thru anything.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote