Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Campground Rules

We generally read through "most" of the CG rules at some point after we check in. They are usually the same, no noise after a certain hour, where to set garbage out, pick up dog poop, and what time to check out. But welcome to CALIFORNIA! We are in a gated, $50 per night facility, and one of the printed rules is: IF GUESTS RIDE A BICYCLE ON CAMPGROUND PROPERTY THEY MUST WEAR A HELMET. We have our bicycles with us and I have unloaded them. I do not own a bicycle helmet nor will I ever own/wear one. Isn't these types of rules getting out of hand?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
No it's the people who sue the parks! Somehow they believe if they fall, someone else is responsible! I have friends who own RV Parks. The stories are unbelievable and so are the plaintiff verdicts. It's the law here for kids, but most parks ask adults to follow same rules. Which Park did you stay in here in Ca?
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:23 AM   #3
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Welcome to Washington.
Currently, there is no state law requiring helmet use. However, some cities and counties do require helmet use with bicycles. Here is a list of those locations and when the laws were enacted.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Well, one of the weather guys from ft myers florida recently died when he hit a pothole and hit his head on the pavement. I have had two cases in the last 20 years...one where a women cut in front of me and took off my whole front wheel and sent me thru the air. Impact cracked my helmet, but I was fine except for a lot of road rash on legs and arms. Second time, I hit a rock that came off the side of the mountain and it instantly put my bike on the ground...result was multiple breaks in my left hand and another cracked helmet. So there you have the other side of the argument about wearing a helmet. John
Old 05-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There are good arguments for both sides.
You hate to be told by local/state/federal governments what you must do to protect yourself.
On the other hand there is a huge dollar figure and health care burden that can be significantly reduced by such laws.
I am on the fence with this one. I don't ride much, never on busy streets, not very fast, and don't wear a helmet when I do. But I can somewhat agree with the requirements.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
The rules are there to protect both the campground and the camper. Law suits are certainly a driving issue in making of the rules, but a serious injury to a head is an even greater driver. At fifty dollars a night it seems as if you are paying a high price for the privilege of following their rules. Note most campgrounds that have rules you don't like also have rules you do like. Some campers don't like the rules you like. Select the campgrounds with the rules you like.

Remember the family members and the other loved ones that will loose your love and have to care for you if--heaven forbid--you have that serious accident.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by paulinbaja

The rules are there to protect both the campground and the camper. Law suits are certainly a driving issue in making of the rules, but a serious injury to a head is an even greater driver. At fifty dollars a night it seems as if you are paying a high price for the privilege of following their rules. Note most campgrounds that have rules you don't like also have rules you do like. Some campers don't like the rules you like. Select the campgrounds with the rules you like.

Remember the family members and the other loved ones that will loose your love and have to care for you if--heaven forbid--you have that serious accident.
I am pretty sure the only "driver" for a CG to have a rule in place that adults have to wear bicycle helmets is an attempt to avoid litigation. Otherwise, if their purpose was to think up rules to protect campers they would not allow alcohol, firearms, campfires, fireworks, running on the pavement...etc. I guess I am just old school. Heck, I even will drink out of a garden hose once and awhile, and not even a white one. I don't mind rules that are based on quality of life issues or accepted safety practice. A CG is close quarters and there has to be rules. But today you are telling me I have to wear a plastic helmet, tomorrow you tell me I have to put on sun block, the next day I get caught drinking out of my old green garden hose and get kicked out of the park!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:38 AM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The Province of British Columbia has a bicycle helmet rule throughout the province but I have never come across the rule in any campground as part of their "rules".

While I understand the reasoning for the helmet rule on public roads I am completely at odds with legislation/rules that require me to wear a seat belt or some of the other such rules for my protection.

I recently was given a ticket for no seat belt by a brand new recruit who was chewing gum while issuing the ticket and challenged me to fight it in court saying it was not properly worn although it was securely fastened and under my arm and not over my shoulder. I did intend to fight the ticket but old age saw me forget the date and I wound up paying the $140.00 ticket.

As has been mentioned the campground is only interested in avoiding litigation and I guess have the right on their property to require the wearing of a helmet.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Does that count for my cycle too??? ..............before everyone gets all excited I do wear my helmut..lol lol

[/URL]
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We checked into an Encore / Thousand trails camp ground for the holiday weekend and the woman that checked us in spent most of the check in process threatening me with arrest if I didn’t follow their rules rite down to threatening me with police invasion of my RV if needed. I guess she never heard of the Castel Doctrine which in this state even applies to a motel room.

If it hadn’t been for having made arrangements to meet about 12 other RV’s I would have told her to keep the deposit and just gone somewhere else.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
JandC … I’m with you on all the little rules bestowed on John Q Public now days. Good gravy Marie, I can’t believe my parents encouraged me to learn to ride a bicycle without all the gear today’s cyclist believe is mandatory … helmet, water jug, strobe light, rear view mirror stuck to the helmet, shin pads, knee pads, proper spandex pants, pedal straps for your shoes, gloves, ya dee dah dee dah. I was unknowingly placed on a death trap with no hope of survival … yet somehow I made it through decades of pedaling while growing back skin that I lost along the way. Heck, I even modified my bike with twin motors and a banana seat … well, the twin motors were two separate playing cards slapping the spokes … Ha! Like said … it’s all about covering one’s “A” now days.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #12
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Grew up with no headgear. Played hockey and the helmets were a joke.

Skied for years without a helmet.

The wife and I now wear helmets biking and skiing.

Don't know about you but my reflexes aren't what they used to be...
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
As a cyclist, I understand the value of bicycle helmets. I've seen some horrific accidents in my travels. However, that said, I don't usually where a helmet when cruising the campground on my mountain bike. I have also been to campgrounds that require helmets for all and walking bikes in certain areas. I have yet to be scolded by anyone when seen without a helmet (except my daughter). You're right JC, next they'll have you wearing lycra and shaving your legs!

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #14
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I was a consultant for the California Medical Association when the motorcycle helmet law was enacted. Hells Angles arrived in force at the capital. The only thing that changed their minds, was a neurosurgeon who gave a graphic presentation on head injuries. Then a presentation on the cost of treatment. In every single major accident the insurance did not cover even 1/2 of the medical costs. These costs were passed on to tax payers. Hundreds of millions of dollars a year. In most instances it bankrupted the families as well. One biker said, then let me die! Wish it was that easy, it is not. Parks have a right to protect themselves. The right not to let "Tricksie the loving Chow" to visit their park. Why because someone sued them or threatened to do so. It's our World we created, or let be created....
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 AM   #15
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
If your medical plan is financed with taxpayer dollars It is your moral responsibility to wear a helmet. If privately financed then knock yourself out.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:52 AM   #16
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

I was a consultant for the California Medical Association when the motorcycle helmet law was enacted. Hells Angles arrived in force at the capital. The only thing that changed their minds, was a neurosurgeon who gave a graphic presentation on head injuries. Then a presentation on the cost of treatment. In every single major accident the insurance did not cover even 1/2 of the medical costs. These costs were passed on to tax payers. Hundreds of millions of dollars a year. In most instances it bankrupted the families as well. One biker said, then let me die! Wish it was that easy, it is not. Parks have a right to protect themselves. The right not to let "Tricksie the loving Chow" to visit their park. Why because someone sued them or threatened to do so. It's our World we created, or let be created....
Michigan repealed their helmet law last year. Since then, I've been looking for a bumper sticker that shows a helmetless rider, a large = sign and the words "organ donor". I also ask anyone I see who rides without a helmet if they would carry a card specifying my daughter can have their kidneys. So far, no one has agreed.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually we seldom ride with our helmets and are organ donors. As far as we shouldn't do that because we're now on Medicare. I'll worry about that when Medicare refuses to cover smokers.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have not yet seen a C.G that requires a helmet for bikes although it is a good idea. They are protecting themselves from litigation plain and simple. the C.G's that do require any stupid to you law should also have disclaimer form available for us to sign that will release them from any injury.
I our winter Rv park there should be a law concerning old people driving Golf Carts. They are a menace.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #19
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Actually we seldom ride with our helmets and are organ donors. As far as we shouldn't do that because we're now on Medicare. I'll worry about that when Medicare refuses to cover smokers.
Amen! Along with alcoholics, drug abusers and people who are morbidly obese.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigsky3625RE

Grew up with no headgear. Played hockey and the helmets were a joke.

Skied for years without a helmet.

The wife and I now wear helmets biking and skiing.

Don't know about you but my reflexes aren't what they used to be...
I was the same way. In fact I bet there are people who say that it explains a lot about me!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #20
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
If a CG is going to have rules in place, such as requiring adults to wear helmets on their bicycles, just to protect themselves from lawsuits, then they had better forbid: (1) the use of stepladders in the park (2) no running or fast walking (3) sun block or long sleeves must be worn at all times when the sun it out....you get the point. What is next? You walk into a grocery store as a customer and they think you look old and unstable so they refuse to let you shop there. You could fall in their store or have a medical emergency and sue them. The bottom line is as a customer you are purchasing a service from a CG. They should have certain health and safety rules in place, no loud music after 11pm, parking restrictions, etc. If they are that worried about being sued then simply have customers sign a liability waiver when they check in. I have listened to all the arguments about wearing helmets, on bicycles and on motorcycles. I have never worn one on a bicycle and never will. I have riden motorcycles for over 45 years and wore helmets 90% of the time. What amazes me is that a lot of folks wouldn't leave their driveway on a bicycle without a plastic helmet on but would think nothing of flying down the interstate at 85mph talking on a cell phone. From my personal life experiences I can tell you that I have seen dozens of folks killed on that interstate, and none who fell over on that bicycle and died. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying priorities are getting a little mixed up and you stand a much better chance of not coming home when you leave that driveway in your car.