Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Hello from Soon-to-be New Owner

Sorry, been lurking and thought it was time for some etiquette.

We traveled and camped with kids with a TT and Class A MH, but have been out of camping now since '99. Now that retirement is close, wife and I are planning to get a Mountaineer 347THT for the Harley and us. We'll be pulling it with a slightly modded 2002 F250 CC LB SRW 4X4 w/ Off Road and camper package.

Hesitating a little because it's a big decision, but thinking of pulling the trigger soon so we can shake out the bugs before putting on some serious miles beginning in 2011. If anyone has any advice, pros or cons, etc. about the 347THT, I am all ears.

Thanks for providing what looks to be a good and informative forum.

Greg

gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Just go for it, you only live once. And welcome to the MOC forum.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Go for it and welcome to the forum.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Go for it you will not regret it. Remember you only get one trip on the merry go round.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have friends who just purschased the Montana toy hauler also. They did order it with a fireplace which they where told was not available but it came in with it in it. Just a FYI..... there are pro's and con's to the fireplace. They have not used the RV yet but are very excited. It's a nice unit.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Prepare to learn about things you didn't think you could learn about. I tried this the first 3 years without the MOC. Now, I am very comfortable as an owner, enough to help many others quite successfully and I still have a long way to go!

Welcome to the MOC! Congratulations on your first post!

BTW - Is that model a 5th wheel? If so, you mention your TV is a "modified" 4x4/Offroad F-250 and might sit higher than most. Make sure you have enough clearance between the truck bed rails especially at the rear corners and the underside of the 5er overhang as it sits on your 5er hitch. The recommended minimum distance is 6 inches. Otherwise on some driveways and bumps you might be making contact - that's no fun! Fortunately, some adjustments can be made on the 5er's pin and/or the 5th wheel hitch. I'm sure you'll get this adjusted when you pick it up.

Also, don't forget the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) checklist!!! It can be found on one of the Home page links, but hopefully a member will point it to you directly.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Thanks all of you for the welcome, encouragement and info.

To Art: - Yes the 347THT is a 5er. Our F250 7.3 PS is not lifted (much to my son's disappointment), just exhaust, chip, exhaust brake, etc. - stuff to make it grunt a little less on the way up and a go little slower on the way down.

And cdaniel - a fireplace - wow I'll have to ask about that! Altho we hope to be in warmer places that here in MI when it's fireplace time of year.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Welcome.
I can second the PDI. Some of the members suggested I use it and assure you it became a learning experence. Very little if anything was overlooked.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Johnnyg

Welcome.
I can second the PDI. Some of the members suggested I use it and assure you it became a learning experence. Very little if anything was overlooked.
Thanks guys - I'm going to hunt down that PDI right now.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Regarding the PDI.... try this link to find several versions. I got here by clicking on the "Home" link up above this web page, then when the new screen shows up, click on "RV Related Links" at the bottom of that screen, then look for PDI checklists:

http://www.montanaowners.com/RVRelatedLinks.html#pdi

Have fun picking up your new rig! And nice mods on your truck. I hope your son likes that you didn't raise your truck after he starts having fun with the new RV and sees the benefits.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380

The fireplace really is nice to knock the chill off in early mornings in the spring and fall. It goes in the cabinet under the TV. It really looks sharp in it. They tried to order it with one in it and was told it was not available. When it came in it was in it. How that happened no one knows but they are in 7th heaven. I thought I would pass it on in case you where interested. Good luck, you'll be glad you did it.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Well folks, it's a done deal. Got a show price on a 2010 Mountaineer 347THT we couldn't pass up. No fireplace, but everything else we wanted. So the adventure begins - again. Looks like we will wait to pick it up for a couple months because of winter here in MI.

Thinking now about the extended warranty deal, so it's off to check what folks have to say about that now.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and info.

Greg