Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Hail damage

Got caught in a big hail storm last night near Kerrville, Texas while camping at Buckhorn RV Resort on I-10. Truck and Monty all beat up! Golf ball size +. Looks like someone took a hammer to the roof of RV. Big dents everywhere, skylight busted, attic vent covers busted, a few dents on lower side skirts. The good thing (being optimistic) is that the rubber roof skin was not cut as best as I can tell yet. But it has all these indentations ALL over the top. Can anyone guide me as to what I should expect my insurance company to do? Will they say since the skin is not penetrated the roof is OKAY? Not in my opinion! It looks horrible, especially along the outside edge of roofline where you can easily see the huge dents. Do they totally replace rubber and top deck? Anyone been there ....done that? and how did it work out? Filed claim this afternoon and waiting on adjuster from National General (Good Sam) insurance Co. to call and come out to look and would like to know what is normal for my situation. I would like to appear as if I know at least a little about this.

Thanks for help in advance.

6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
They should replace it. It is no difference than your truck. On your truck the metal is still OK it is the looks. When you look up at the rounded corners at the top of your Montana that is metal and those dents will not come out. The dents on top will hold water and dirt and that will turn into mold and after a time you will have a lot of black on the roof defeating the use of having a white roof to reflect the sun.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:57 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with Dennis. If you look at a Montana brochure (available on line at keystonerv.com) you can see that the rounded edges of the roof are aluminum under the EPDM and the roof is wood decking. If the roof has dents in it, then that wood decking is also damaged even though the EPDM roof material may be intact. The roof is built to walk on, but I would be forever nervous about walking on a roof with damaged decking. I would insist they replace the entire roof. Along with all other items damaged.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote