Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Freezer is froze but frig is still warm???

Ok, turned on the frig today to get it cooled down for our trip. The freezer is frozen and got cold within an hour or 2 but the frig is still just now getting cool, not cold. It's been all day and still not very cold. Granted it's been a hot one today over 100 and the trailer is a little unlevel but nothing major. Am I not remembering something here or do I have a problem. Not sure why the freezer is cold enough now to make ice cubes but I'm afraid to even put lunch meat in the frig.

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

It takes a while. Check it tomorrow, some people gives them a day or two to get cooled down adequately.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Just went back out to check it again and I found that that thermistor thing on the fins was off. Didn't see it before cause it's behind the small fan I have installed. Put it back on and slid to the top of the fin and gonna wait till morning and check again. Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
For us in our Texas weather I give it 24 hours without anything in it to cool down. I always try to take cold things from the house frig to the RV, and even put frozen things that I will use in the next day or so in the frig. We don't drive with the propane on so I use frozen water bottles and frozen food to keep the frig cold like an ice chest.

It does take ours at least 24 hours without food to cool down. Our freezer cools off alot quicker that the frig.

Have a safe trip.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
With 100 degree weather it will take a long time, at least a day to cool it down. Even then it will be struggling. It will get there, just be patient.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We had the same problem last weekend. Our Montana was hot when we turned on the frig and it took a good 2 days to get the temp in the refrig. working. I thought it was broke but it finally cooled down. The freezer was working in 2hrs like you said. We usually start ours days before but this time we did not have that option and it was frustrating. We used our cooler and kept the ice going for 2 days.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Also, the freezers do seem to get cold faster than the refrigerators. And that clip is supposed to go to a specific fin.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I could be "all wet" here, but I think the fridge only has tubes the ammonia runs thru near the freezer section on RV's. The vents near the bottom of the freezer allow cold air to pass on down to the refrigerator part. On really hot days, it takes mine several hours to adequately cool down in the lower section. If I want to speed things up, I place a couple of bags of ice in the freezer ... the thermistor dangling below the fins was probably your issue.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yeahhhhh!!!! Frig is cold enough to load now. Evidently was just the high heat and the thermistor not on the fin the whole way. Gonna move my fan so I can see it from now on. Thanks Time to load up so I can hit the road again.....
Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
nanstev
Established Member

M.O.C. #8947
Have taken our new 2012 Norcold into the dealer 2 times now and still don't work. We picked it up at the dealers today and they assured us it was OK now that they put new parts in, but got it home and has been 6 hours and by temp guage I have in frig it has only dropped 4 degrees. Also if you put it on elec instead of gas it continues to beep. We are on our 3rd Montanna and have never had so many problems as we have with this new 2012 3800RL. Every time we turn around something is going wrong. We have only had it close to 4 months.

nanstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I have noticed that my unit seems to run a little better on gas. I also bought a cheap indoor-outdoor thermometer and mounted the sending unit on the back wall of the fridge. I used double back tape to install the reading part on the wall by the fridge door. That way I can keep an eye on the temperature all the time without opening the door. I have photos on the link below.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
We lost our Norcold 1210 4 door refrigerator this past week. 18 months old in a 2011 3400RL! After having 2 different techs look at it, Norcold has agreed to replace the cooling unit under our CWCare Extended Warranty so should only cost $50 bucks to get it fixed. But it will be down for another week while it ships and then CW has to schedule the installation. We've been using a little apartment size counter top model and the Freezer of the Norcold. What a pain!

Looks to me like Keystone should be thinking about something else here with all of the issues everyone is having. Both techs mentioned that the 1210's installed in slides instead of having roof vents are the ones that appear to be failing. Both have suggested adding an additional cooling fan to pull the heat out faster. Thank goodness for the little portable ice maker and the old Coleman cooler
kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
Did you get this pre authorize by CWCare? I'm dealing with a Dometic ndr 1062 where the cooling unit popped a leak. Took it to CW and when they submitted the claim the warranty (CWCare) declined the claim due to there not being enought Maint records. I used the Montanta Checklist and do my own service and repairs. I can't help but think there's bad vibs being CW and CWCare. Since the merger of Good Sam and Camping world Marcuu Lemonis (CEO) has been selling Good Sam ext. Warranties. By the way I've provided Proof of repairs like door handles and exciter swaps.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kampk

We lost our Norcold 1210 4 door refrigerator this past week. 18 months old in a 2011 3400RL! After having 2 different techs look at it, Norcold has agreed to replace the cooling unit under our CWCare Extended Warranty so should only cost $50 bucks to get it fixed. But it will be down for another week while it ships and then CW has to schedule the installation. We've been using a little apartment size counter top model and the Freezer of the Norcold. What a pain!

Looks to me like Keystone should be thinking about something else here with all of the issues everyone is having. Both techs mentioned that the 1210's installed in slides instead of having roof vents are the ones that appear to be failing. Both have suggested adding an additional cooling fan to pull the heat out faster. Thank goodness for the little portable ice maker and the old Coleman cooler
02pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
The first tech was a non Camping World tech and the second one was from Camping World. The second one and the CW service staff got Norcold and the CWCare to replace the unit, so we were not directly envolved with either. Probably a good thing - cuz this ole man's blood pressure was sky high after dealing with this now for 2 weeks and will end up being 3 or 4 weeks before its all done.
kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
We were on vacation and the first day the thing pooped out. Had to go down the hill and get an ice chest. BP getting up there also. When I took the rig into CW the service writer saw my warranty card and said good luck dealing with these guys. She mentioned that the company 3 yrs ago was a flagship operation and now they scrap the bottom. Just make sure you get all your records blessed. Or you can spend $200~300 a year and have CW do it. By the way I have a copy of what they check during Refrig service and although its good its not complete per service manual.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kampk

The first tech was a non Camping World tech and the second one was from Camping World. The second one and the CW service staff got Norcold and the CWCare to replace the unit, so we were not directly envolved with either. Probably a good thing - cuz this ole man's blood pressure was sky high after dealing with this now for 2 weeks and will end up being 3 or 4 weeks before its all done.
02pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #16
nanstev
Established Member

M.O.C. #8947
Well i emailed Norcold Last night And believe it or not They called this morning. They are trying to blame It on The dealer ship That worked on it 2 *. If they would have just replace the unit We wouldn't be in this situation. Now they say the service rep Wired it wrong haha!! Told them I am calling the better business bureau . They called walnut ridge And told them they had to get it fixed right So I said You can just come by here and check wiring since it was your fault in the beginning. They are sending someone out today . I just can't believe it. We'll see how that comes out
Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

Just went back out to check it again and I found that that thermistor thing on the fins was off. Didn't see it before cause it's behind the small fan I have installed. Put it back on and slid to the top of the fin and gonna wait till morning and check again. Thanks
Just a heads up for everyone....after unloading the fridge from a recent trip, I noticed the thermistor just hanging in the back between the fins. The clip that holds it the fins had rusted and broken. Don't know why it isn't made of galvanized, plastic, or some other material that wouldn't rust. Less that a buck for the clip and I now have an extra just in case.

Jack
Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #18
nanstev
Established Member

M.O.C. #8947
Already checked that 2 weeks ago when it went out, but thanks anyways. That was 1 of the first things I checked