Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
captl27
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16077
I probably will not buy another Keystone product

I probably will not be buying anymore Keystone products. I have had two problems that started while under the Keystone original warranty during the first year. When the issues that were reported during the first year finally erupted after the year was up they refused to warranty the issues no mater how much proof was presented. I even reported the issues to Trailer Life Magazine RV resolutions and the refused to budge. It ended up costing me 600+ to get it fix under the extended warranty which I will not get again. That is because Good Sam Warranty does not cover things like flooring and siding and much more.
captl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If the cause of the problem was a manufacture defect it is on the manufacturer. None of the three EW's we had would cover a manufacturer defect.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
True about the extended warranty, but with Keystone when all other avenues have been exhausted it's time to get an attorney.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
GS calls it a RV extended service plan. It is not a extended warranty We have had three over 11 years and they were called the same thing.
It is important to read and completely understand the terms of the plan and what it does and does and does not cover. We had the GS plan and had no problem using it.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:12 AM   #5
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Well tell us what were the issues. I went through this when I had my front cap repainted. After much discussion denying the original claim, lying to me telling me they never heard of this problem even though my selling dealer had 2 other units in for keystone authorized painting, then telling me it was me not waxing enough so lots of time went by warranty about to run out I mailed them many many posts from forum boards about this know issue and that they had keystone paint front nose. They finally agreed to paint the front cap. Dealer could not get my unit in before the warranty ran out so then they denied the claim again. They stalled me, even the Dealer said this is what they were doing and has seen it before from Keystone. Longer story shorter I used the word "Lawyer" in a sentence and dealer said something to that effect and they agreed to pay for it again. Looks good now, I have found when dealing with the air heads at Keystone 3 good shots of Jack Daniels helps before you call.
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:26 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Unfortunately Keystone Customer Service used to be pretty good and has declined significantly the past few years. I talked with a Florida dealer who quit selling Keystone units because he was wasting too much time trying to resolve warranty issues with them.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:02 AM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Unfortunately Keystone Customer Service used to be pretty good and has declined significantly the past few years. I talked with a Florida dealer who quit selling Keystone units because he was wasting too much time trying to resolve warranty issues with them.
Hi

Well I didn’t know how long ago “Use to be good” was but I got the same treatment in 2009. I never did recover any of the $20,000 it cost me to complete the “do it yourself kit” keystone sold me.

Some here will tell you the problems exist across the entire RV manufacturing community.

I will agree the problems do exist with all of the RV built in Indiana. When you cruse the forums you find the few built outside of the Indiana area to have some problems but not of the magnitude of the Indiana manufacturers. The response to correct problems within the 2 year warranty you get with the unit is prompt and with excellent workmanship.

The cost to me to make this RV usable like it should have come to me from the manufacturer brought me to within about $5,000 of equaling the cost of purchasing a “top of the line” 5th wheel RV with a 2 year factory warranty. .

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
captl27
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16077
I had two problems on our first trip out, the shower drain was clogged and the kitchen slide dragged. I immediately return the unit to Camping world Syracuse NY. They said they would fix the issues and I took them at their word. They had to rip out the drain pipes of the shower and replace them and they never said what they did with the slide. I had to wait a few weeks to get the brand new unit back but when I did the drain seemed to work ok and the slide still dragged some but they said it was ok so we moved on. Shortly after the first year was up the shower developed star like cracks inthe bottom and the slide one day gouged the flooring leaving a rip. On contacting Keystone they said I had to leave it with a dealer and they would get back to me. The dealer I left it with said the shower had missing support under it and had to re support the floor. The support was apparently removed when the drain was repaired. The dealer also had to replace parts in the slide mechanism. None of which Keystone would pay for. Both these issues originated while under the first year warranty but Keystone refused after many attempts to pay for what was absolutely there issue. This process took 10 months because Keystone kept dragging their feet. Keystone blamed the dealer but the dealer is their dealer. I don't get that.
captl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I wouldn't buy a new Keystone product. I've saw too many major structural problems here that they wouldn't fix.
Their dealers are independent of Keystone and Keystone can't be expected to fix what the dealer broke.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I have to agree that Keystone is not warranty friendly. I had several serious problems with the Forest River we traded in on the Montana, but before we gave up on it FR agreed to bring it back to the factory for repair. I can't imagine KS doing that. The two times I actually called KS during the warranty period I was brushed off. Also, our KS dealer had a more difficult time with warranty claims that did our FR dealer. Regardless, I can state our Montana has been free of the serious problems that plagued our FR.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #11
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
I've taken mine back to the factory 2 times as a part of the "15 minutes with the Tech" program at the National MOC rally in Goshen. They fixed a lot of issues at their cost and all of the items were out of the original warranty. It's the best reason to attend a national rally.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #12
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
I have also taken mine back to the service center at the national rally only to become very frustrated with their performance to resolve the problem. I had a broken weld in bracket that the entry step is bolted to, they replaced the steps and attached the new steps to the bracket with the broken weld. I had to return it to the customer service center and show them the weld that was broken before they welded it. Another item was an oven door that would not close or seal so consequently had never been used for anything other than storage. They replaced a brand new door with one that had obviously been on an old and abused oven as it was caked with burnt foods. How could this be possible? Then the customer service rep insisted that it was a new door!!! Only after I returned with the unit and she personally inspected it would she agree to replace it but never did offer any explanation as to how the tech could have replaced a new door with one that was totally abused. I agree, their customer service even at the service center leaves much to be desired!!
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I on the other hand have never had a problem with Keystone customer service and I have had plenty of problems on both of my Montanas. We will have a short list at this years rally.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It might be that Keystone products are no better or worse than everything else but I don't think you do a manufacturer any favor in the long run by buying a product just because of brand loyalty. In fact I think it's the worst thing you can do for them. It tells them what they are doing is ok keep the good work up. Think of the American car manufacturers brand loyalty kept them in business while they produced an inferior product until it was almost too late.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had six hard side RV's four of them were all different brands two of them were Montana 5th wheels .We had the 3400 and now the 3402 we just liked the floorplans. Having had some experience in selling RV,s of different brands , living close enough to the Elkhart, Goshen area to have toured most of the Rv plants we realized the Brands in the price range we could afford were all pretty much the same in terms of build quakity
Old 06-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We looked at top of the line 5th wheels manufactured in Junction City, Ks. We bought another Montana. The $300,000 minimum price and the fact that a one ton pickup would be a little small to pull the weight were amount the factors that caused us to buy another Monty. That plus the fact that we liked the floor plan and have had excellent experience with Keystone Customer service. I understand that others experiences are different and don't discount that, but you have to go with what you know personally and what you can afford.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #17
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
The $300,000 minimum price and the fact that a one ton pickup would be a little small to pull the weight were amount the factors that caused us to buy another Monty.
Hi

I don’t know where you got that price from we have a down stroke on a 39 ft one at that location and they are going to custom build it to match the 3665RE floor plan for a lot less than $300,000 $200,000 less to be exact. They are waiting on my wife approving the flooring, shades and a bunch of other items she wants that are not included in the Keystone products.

When we purchased the 2009 3665RE after we paid to complete the trailer $10,000 and then paid to repair the manufacturing defects $10,000 another $5,000 would have purchased from this same company a comparable 5th wheel RV.

You are correct about the TV we will have to purchase a new Silverado Duramax 3500 rated at 30,500 Lbs CVWR in order to legally pull this new unit.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #18
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We bought yet another Montana as well and we did not just focus on another. We looked at several others including very closely at Grand Design.

Honestly we liked the fit and finish product of the Montana better than anything else in the price range.

Two months in, with a few minor issues, we couldn't be happier.

So let's not discount All the happy Montana owners that we don't tend to hear about.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:56 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Montana is what we could afford we paid nowhere near 100K for them. We have about 3200.00 invested in extended service plans for both of the Montana's and that investment paid off. We have had 4 holding tanks replaced on this 13 3402 alone at about 500.00 each which cost us 200.00 out of pocket total.

RV's are a money pit.