Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
registration Topic

I recently got into a conversation of trailer registrations.
I have seen Tractor trailers registered in OKLA, IND and other places even maine for permanent plates with many years of an expiration date. So I did a web search and looked into the state of maine.

I live in NH with no sales or income tax. And I'm not in the market for a new unit. But I know people that do this and buy title their vehicle and then register trailers it in Maine for the cost savings.

Is it completely legal? If it is insured and the place of residence is satisfactory through your insurance company. There are no direct laws prohibiting a trailer (verses your primary vehicle which many states have laws about but fail to address trailers).

So after a brief web search I came across this horse trailer forum and there are others by just googling Maine trailer registration. It can be done by mail or via a service and appears quite easy with multiple years of validation without remembering to renew annually.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f...o-muss-no-fuss

I'm not advocating this. And I'm not sure it has been disused here previously, I can't remember it has been so long. But I thought I would throw this out here for any one who wants to discuss.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t know what is legal in your state or Va. A neighbor bought a 80 K 5er and saved thousands by registering it in Montana and now he will save the county tax every year. He set up a corporation in Montana that owns the camper without ever going to Montana.
If it’s illegal, worse case, if he gets caught he will haft to pay the taxes back with penalty. Best case he won’t get caught and if he gets caught it not a hanging offense.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I investigated tagging the rv with maine tags years ago. A company called the stabb agency used to do it, but now they can not tag any trailer with living quarters. Its got something to do with taxes.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Be careful with the Montana LLC deal, many states are catching on to that deal and going after folks for taxes. Granted a money grab by the states, but the Montana LLC deal is border line illegal, since the LLC is created only for the purpose of getting around taxes.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Ok I know I am going to get a lot of crap for this but.

It never ceases to amaze me that folks will go out and pay anywhere from $125,000.00 for a fiver plus a truck to over $500,000.00 for a MH and will go to crazy lengths to save a few bucks on the tags. And take the chance of having problems with getting a ticket or being on the wrong side of their state tax collector.

Or do all they can to find a truck stop or Walmart to stay in for free.

But if that is your thing then ok.

I for one will spend a few bucks for an RV Park and work on finding a good deal on fuel. Just my 2 cents.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
Ok I know I am going to get a lot of crap for this but.

It never ceases to amaze me that folks will go out and pay anywhere from $125,000.00 for a fiver plus a truck to over $500,000.00 for a MH and will go to crazy lengths to save a few bucks on the tags. And take the chance of having problems with getting a ticket or being on the wrong side of their state tax collector.

Or do all they can to find a truck stop or Walmart to stay in for free.

But if that is your thing then ok.

I for one will spend a few bucks for an RV Park and work on finding a good deal on fuel. Just my 2 cents.
Won't give you c___ but what some people will do to save money should not be a surprise. Go out to dinner with a group and look at the folks that have a nice meal and stiff their waitress for a tip.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #7
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
I live in Maine and no way is it inexpensive to register your 5th wheel. Yes, it is considered a trailer. The 1st year it was over $2400.00 to register it for a year. Our Big Sky is a 2011 and we now pay around $500.00 a year and it will never go down.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Here in Va my neighbor’s sales taxes would be over $4000 and and personal personal each year on top of that. If he gets caught, what are they going to do? Nothing!
Lynwood
Old 02-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #9
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Just about every state in the union is looking for ways to maximize their revenue. It is also nothing wrong with every citizen from attempting to legally minimize their tax bill. There is nothing illegal to date regarding the state of Montana's LLC offering. How citizen's with domicile established in other states attempt to utilize the LLC for the purpose of evading their domicile laws is where the illegality comes into play. Many states have caught onto to this practice and have begun to establish or enforce existing rules to specifically combat this practice. At the end of the day it's all about your intent. If you are attempting to avoid paying a legal tax and it is determined that you are subject to said tax then your state of domicile's DOR or DOL will want your money.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #10
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Yes I hear you guys. Here in AZ my first year sales tax was $3,393 plus about $1,700.00 in registration. That was when the 2015 was new. Now the registration is about $800.00 and will going down as the years go on I have no idea where the bottom is?

LLCs are weird little dudes and one has to be careful with them. Several times a year I have folks come into my office with letters from states asking why they have not done their yearly reporting? In some cases it takes mouths and several hundred dollars for me to fix it for them.

Before everyone jumps on me I am not up to speed with all the states LLC reporting requirements but just be careful with Ca, NY, MA, IL, and TX.

Some states may or may not have reporting requirements so just be careful.

My practice is in CA so I know the state LLC laws and reporting requirements. If you have an LLC in ANY state and you live in CA you must file with the secretary of state and pay a yearly fee of $800.00. No matter if the LLC is active or inactive. Now that's not to say lots of people just don't know or do and just shine it on. But once caught it is not a pretty thing.

How do you get caught? Well I just know about AZ and CA if you have a AZ or CA plates on your truck and a different state's plate on your rig the police will stop you. Dont ask me how I know about this. If you get stoped for any reason you will be asked for your license and registration. If they don't match the plates on the truck or rig or your home address the game is on.

I don't pretend to know all the laws but these I do know. Yes people squeak by and never get caught but I for one have far to much to lose to be playing this game. Again just my educated 2 cents.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
waynemoore. I understand you can’t know about every state. If you are stopped out of the state you are from? If you know anything about that explain it to us.
Thanks Lynwood
Old 02-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #12
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
waynemoore. I understand you can’t know about every state. If you are stopped out of the state you are from? If you know anything about that explain it to us.
Thanks Lynwood
I am not sure how to answer that. But I would think as long as the Truck, rig, drivers license match up all will be ok. But if there is a difference I have no idea what would happen???

Just guessing but I would think the foreign state police would not care. , just want you to pay any fine.

I believe Its just the home (Abode) state that cares as they want to capture the tax. But again that is just a guess. Sorry wish I had a better answer.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #13
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
I am not sure how to answer that. But I would think as long as the Truck, rig, drivers license match up all will be ok. But if there is a difference I have no idea what would happen???.
Nothing happens! My license is in my name of course. Everything else is in the name of the family trust. I'm in NC and the trust registered in Ohio. Insurance is an IL company.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:05 PM   #14
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have no idea how that would work. As far as i know it's the address that are what is important not your name. At least in the states I talked about on my previous post. Thouse I have experance with. In thouse states the addres on the license, and the vehicles all have to be in the same state and in some cases in the same county. Both of my autos and the Montana are in our trust but all registered in AZ. Again don't ask me how I know about that.

When we lived in Georgia my middle son got thrown in jail for having a Ca drivers license with a car he bought in Georgia with Georgia plates on it. The fine was over a $1,000.00. The dumb s***t did not want to give up his CA license because he was going to move back to Ca in a year or so??.

Again guys I am not an expert on this just have represented several clients who got caught up with this with the state franchise tax board or the DMVs. And just so you know I am not a lawyer so don't take what I say to the bank check with one. Not your friend, nor the guy next door or heavens sake your insurance agent.

I can't tell you how many times I have had new clients sit at my desk with letters from the IRS and tell me "well my friends said I could deduct that".
Old 02-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #15
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Google "Montana LLC" and look up "Escapees RV Club" and read the differences in "residency" and "domicile".

A bit of reading, but it might save you several thousand $$.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #16
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Ok, better yet go to IRS.GOV and find PUB 17 and look up the topic there. That is what all states go by. You will get the real story not one regurgitate by some feature writer. Guys remember fake news go to the source. I am not saying the other article is fake or misleading just better to go the the source.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #17
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Here in Va my neighbor’s sales taxes would be over $4000 and and personal personal each year on top of that. If he gets caught, what are they going to do? Nothing!
Lynwood

Uhhh, Lynwood, there's no personal property tax on RVs in VA. I've also got a permanent trailer tag on ours that doesn't have to be renewed every year. It may be by county, but Prince William it's this way.

The crack up is that I've got to pay ppt on my 8' utility trailer though.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Walt you are right it’s not personal property tax it’s vehicle tax. What ever it is on a $125000 camper you are not going to look forward to the bill coming.
Lynwood
Old 02-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #19
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
The Full Faith and Credit clause in the US Constitution requires that the States give each other's laws "full faith and credit". That means that if you are legal in your home state, you are legal where ever (in the US) you go. Obviously, that does not get you out of a speeding ticket if your state allows 75 mph and you are towing in California at that speed where the law is 55 mph.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #20
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Wow! This thread is making me so thankful that my totally legal registration for our Montana and TV combined is less than $50.00 per year.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote