Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2018, 05:35 AM   #1
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Adding Tie Downs To Genny Room

Why are there no places to tie stuff in the front storage? Safety or oversight. I'm wanting to tie a couple of LP tanks and was thinking the best spot was against the passenger side wall. Looks like it would be easy to add a couple of eye bolts to the double walled side. Anyone done this or have comments on ideas?

Old 02-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
A 20 or 30 pound tank fits tight into a milk crate. This works great for transport so they will stand up without falling over. Just surround them with stuff in the storage compartment & they will be fine.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Okay, if you are going to transport and store propane tanks in the front storage, put a label there stating so. And also while the tanks are there you leave it unlocked. That way in case of accident or fire, the first responders know of the hidden danger and can get to them.

Hint your "built in" tanks are also in an unlockable cabinet.
Past life was a volunteer and auxiliary fireman.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Okay, if you are going to transport and store propane tanks in the front storage, put a label there stating so. And also while the tanks are there you leave it unlocked. That way in case of accident or fire, the first responders know of the hidden danger and can get to them.

Hint your "built in" tanks are also in an unlockable cabinet.
Past life was a volunteer and auxiliary fireman.
Excellent idea! I'll look for a sticker. Leaving it unlocked might not be the best part since the door needs to be secured on both left and right side. I'll look at latch replacement. Had not given that much thought. Carrying extra diesel locked in the bed of the truck in railroad approved containers. Joy said NO to putting it in the front storage!
Old 02-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I agree on having to mark the door and keep it unlocked, probably a replacement latch like the propane doors have or the other side of that door has should work. I have always screwed things into that wall on both of our rigs. In that compartment I have one of those broom holder clip things that all my electrical dog bones and spare surge protectors hang on. In the basement I have eye screws into the wall to hold the cord that holds insulation in the doorway during the very cold and very hot months.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
A 20 or 30 pound tank fits tight into a milk crate. This works great for transport so they will stand up without falling over. Just surround them with stuff in the storage compartment & they will be fine.
That plan works great. Had to get a couple of extras at Hm Dpt. I wedged them in with a bottle of DEF and a box of wood blocks I carry. Carpet underneath. Tight fit. Thanks for the input beeje. I also use them to carry a couple of 5 gallon diesel cans in the bed of truck tied in front corner. MOC is the cat's meow!
Old 02-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
beeje is spot on with the milk crates. Might add a bugee cord across the top of the tanks just to make sure they don't slide around....

Our unit came prepped for generator. I put a piece of plywood on the floor of that compartment and use it to store my grill and charcoal. I plan to eventually rip out the flimsy tin they used in there and go back in with Aluminum all the way to top of compartment to gain the height. Then add shelves so I can store more. You lose a LOT of storage area above where they put the top of the tin....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:22 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Wont you need to these tanks to be in a vented area. If they pop off and they do when it gets hot wont you need a place for that gas to go. It’s heavier than air so you don’t wont it laying in the bottom if your storage compartment.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Actually I think the bottom of the gen prepped compartment is vented on the bottom. A generator would require venting to allow for cooling. But that is a good point to bring up.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote