Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Northeast Region
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Food for thought for NE 2008..........

The location for next years NE rally was discussed and Colonial Williamsburg and Gettysburg were considered as likely locations.

The second Gettysburg was mentioned my brain came to life. (Yeah yeah I know that don't happen too often, better to let a sleeping dog lay.)
Anyway, some of you know that my brother is a licensed guide at Gettysburg. He specializes in private tours with just 1 or 2 couples and has been doing this for many years.
I spoke to him last night about the possibility of the MOC having their rally in G-burg. Without me even mentioning it, He immediately suggusted not only a group tour but he would also come to the CG one night for a short discussion/Q&A on G-burg.

Again this is just "Food for thought for NE 2008".

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Interesting!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:28 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Interesting! Sounds familiar.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:48 AM   #4
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Thanks for starting the thread Glenn,
Keep the ideas and suggestions coming....

Bill and Lisa, part of the 2008 planning team.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:59 AM   #5
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Thanks for the input Glenn. We visited Gettysburg with the kids years ago and I would love to visit it again with just the two of us. We think the tour idea would be great if Gettysburg ends up being the location.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
RickMatthews
Established Member

M.O.C. #6961
Thanks Glenn and thanks to your brother for the offer. I'm hoping we can have a decision made within the next 6 weeks on the location for next year. Bill and Lisa and Rick and I have some great ideas on the agenda too. One thing is for certain...whereever we go, we will have a great time!
RickMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I like this idea. Of the two options for next year's rally, I am leaning towards Gettysburg. Jen loves the Civil War history and getting your brother to provide a tour and Q&A session would be really great.

As for Virginia, that is getting outside of the "NE region" and there is already a Virginia Region setup.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
A really good idea Glenn and thanks to your brother. I know it will be a great rally just like this years.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I guess I should probably ask - what states form the NE region? I did see a "Virginia" section but there have been no posts in it since last August so I am assuming it is defunct. As I Montana owner living in Virginia, where do we belong?

Bill
Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You belong to the MOC and that is "where you belong" period. None of rallys are limited attendance by any geographical area. You may attend any MOC rally you desire. Our home domicle is Florida but we will attend any MOC rally that will work into our travel plans. One of these years we do intend to get to the Spring rally in the west but up until now we have not been able to fit it in.

The last and only Virginia region rally was in '05. We stayed at Walnut Hills CG near Staunton (pronounced "Stan"ton) off I-81. Haven't had any Virginia action since than.
In my opinion, All the regional rallys including the NE rally are pretty much a generalized area and, in this case, stepping below the Mason Dixon should not be a problem. In fact, should the NE rally end up in Gettysburg in 08, it would not be a problem for you to start a true Virginia rally at an earlier or later date.

Again where do we belong? Where else? The MOC!!! You may live in Virginia but you belong to the MOC and the MOC has NO boundries.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Boy, am I glad I didn't think that one though. If I had, Samuel and I would have stayed home. Like Glenn said, we belong to the MOC family and can go anywhere it suits us on that date. With many full timers out there, I would hope they feel welcome anywhere there is a Rally.

If there is a Virginia group, maybe somone could invite them to join us next year. And if they had a Rally of their own, we would love to go. These things can be fun if there is 30 or 60.
vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:09 AM   #12
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Jo-Anna and I had no problem coming to the NE Rally from our Virginia home--and enjoyed meeting several other Virginians at the NE Rally.

Speaking of Gettysburg, that's where we are at right now. We stopped for the night on our way back to Virginia from Connecticut, where we had Jo-Anna's three grandchildren for the weekend in the rig. The grandkids were great but--as they say--these rigs are for sleeping TWO!! Boy it sure felt roomy and quiet in the rig after the grandkids went back home.

As for Gettysburg itself, I love the battlefield park--probably been here three or four times over the years and spent a few more hours there yesterday afternoon/evening showing Jo around some of the highlights. We are staying at the Round Top Campground as it was a convenient stopping point and the write-up on it sounded good. The people here are friendly, but I certainly wouldn't recommend this campground as a site for next year's rally. Good luck with the planning.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:23 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ashlandcpa

Hey Glen. Just a note. Virginia had a little something to do with the civil war. If someone is into civil war history there is no way they can get their fill in VA in a single week. From VA Beach to Northern VA, there are many different tours that can be taken. I have no problem with Gettysburg. I plan on spending some time there in the next year. VA was very well represented this year at the rally and it would be a shame to start drawing old lines. It would be nice if we could change states each year and give everyone a chance to share their home state with others. It sounded like some people were coming from prior destinations in the southern states to get to the N.E. Rally this year. Anyway, PA or VA, there's plenty to see and do either state. I don't have any relatives that do tours in VA so it really doesn't matter to me. Bill, you're way to funny.

Dave
Hey Dave, I surely wasn't drawing a line. To me Mason is a jar and I have no idea what a Dixon is. The only reason I mentioned Gettysburg is the fact that I personally like Gettysburg and my brother is a guide there. Which by the way I have never been on a tour with him but I do know many who have and they just rave about him.

I did attend the one and only rally in Virginia and had a great time. If someone were to restart the Virginia region rally I would do my best to be there.
Here are some VA rally photos.
It's quite simple to restart the Virginia region rally. Make a post in the VA rally section to first find out if there is an interest. Than go from there. I should point out that the instigator will in all probability end up as the Wagon Master. GO FOR IT!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #14
Yazoo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4650
Sorry I did not make this years rally at Pine Hill. drummer Boy is a really nice campground with lots of space, I believe they just opened a new section. In any event I hope to join you next year
Yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #15
Yazoo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4650
Sorry I did not make this years rally at Pine Hill. Drummer Boy is a really nice campground with lots of space, I believe they just opened a new section. In any event I hope to join you next year
Yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:09 AM   #16
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I'm sorry to sound cheap, but did anyone check the rates for Drummer Boy?
This is a rally isn't it? Do we have to have it at the best of the best?
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:30 AM   #17
RickMatthews
Established Member

M.O.C. #6961
Folks - I have visited all of the campgrounds in the Gettysburg area and there are two that can accomodate our group. We don't have the availability in the Virginia Beach/Williamsburg area complete yet, but we will continue to work towards a desireable location for the majority. I think we must keep in mind that either of these locations offer amenities and the location alone will drive the cost up somewhat. I will be negotiating for lower prices, but in season rally may be challenging. Our goal is to have 35-40 rigs next year, so we will continue to find a place that offers something for everyone. If you have any suggestions for lower cost alternatives, please post or if you want to email me privately, I am always open to suggestions. All of the campgrounds in the Gettysburg area fill up a year in advance, so I'm working with a real sense of urgency to at least get sites held.

Thanks!

Jeana
RickMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #18
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Okay we finally found a suitable campground near Williamsburg (all others already have groups scheduled in. Like all campgrounds it has it's plus and minuses. First things first - the campground is ROCKAHOCK Campground - www.rockahock.com. It is located in Lanexa, Va. between Williamsburg and Richmond.

Pluses:
1. They are located on the Chickahominy River and offer fishing, boating, canoeing, and swimming (river and pool).
2. Rates: Discounted 10% from regular - our rates would be:
Fri/Sat night $80.78 for the two nights (~$40 per night)
Weekday nights $32.18 per night.
(We are planning Thursday - Monday May 29 - Jun 2 adn above rates are without tax)
3. Segregated Group site area with use of the RV Club Pavillon. (Fully enclosed w/ Full Kitchen and rest rooms, Electricity, cieling fans, etc)
4. All sites 50 Amp
5. We would be locked in at these 2007 rates and not affected by their annual rate change in January.
6. restauarant on the campground (Fox Hunter Grille)
7. Rock's River Roadhouse Pub with food, pool tables, 10ft screen for NASCAR races, and live entertainment on Friday and Saturday night. All entertainment is inside (Outdoor Ampitheater only hosts outdoor concerts on holiday weekends and this is not one)
8. Rental units available if you want to bring a guest that doesn't own a rig yet! (would probably NOT be located in with the group in the club area)

Minuses:
1. Pavillon is not air conditioned. Staff claims that it is not too hot that time of year and normally a good breeze but they were not able to guareentee this....
2. No Cable
3. No internet but they "may" have a wireless system installed by the time we get there.
4. Sites are Tandem sites. First unit on a site could pull through and unhook, second unit would have to back in and water connection would be on the wrong side of the unit. Coordinator made it sound like we would be given all 24 tandem sites (max of 48 units) even though I was only quoting 35 units. This would mean not everyone would have to be doubled up. (If 35 showed up, 9 sites would be double occupied the other 15 only single occupied). One "benefit" of this arrangement would be last minute "add ons" would be parked in with everyone else and not stuck off in a corner somewhere.
5. "might" be able to hear band in the pub on Friday or Saturday night although the staff says not normally the case.

Let me know what you think!
Bill
Old 06-30-2007, 01:45 AM   #19
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Wow! Not afraid to charge big $$ are they.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:51 AM   #20
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Thank you Bill. I didn't want to be the first to say that.
No air conditioning? Remember how hot it was this year? Anyway, two rallies in Virginia in the same year is too much for us. We will have to chose between them.
We were hoping for PA again. That to us is more centrally located for the NE rally.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote