Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Solar Generator

I came very close to installation of a new Onan 5500 generator but stopped due to an excessive installation cost. Now I have decided to see if it feasible to use solar power for my generator. Everything I have read so far indicates it is practicle and economical. I understand I can't use the air conditioner,hair dryer, or too much mircowave but I can use just about everything else. That sounded good for boon-docking. My question to you all is does anyone have a solar system designed to function as your generator (vs. just offer a tricket recharge for your battery) and does it work? The rule of thumb I discoverd is that I would need at least one 80Watt panel and one T 105 battery for each person typically in the Monty, plus a panel and battery for bad weather. Then rounding it out to have an even number of 6 volt batteries I would need about 320 Watts of solar panels and 4 T105 6volt batteries. If anyone out there has and experience with solar I would love to hear your advice. Thanks again for everyones help.

John and Dorothy
'06 Dodge 3500 Diesel pulling Montana 3075RL

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:25 AM   #2
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Interesting idea. I have been doing a little research on solar but have not explored a solar generator install. I have been leaning toward solar for hot water and other electrical and two batteries. But I am not looking at it from a persepctive of boondocking as much as area power outages.

For me, currently living in FL, I could not justify the generator cost if it was not going to run my AC.

Please keep us posted on the information you gain from this idea.

fla native

2004 2980RL (Miss Montana) towed by 2001 Dodge diesel
3500 (LadyRam)
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
John - sorry for the delayed response as I didn't come across this till tonight. We have had solar of some kind on three of our 5th wheels. The first just had two panels on the roof, a regulator and a couple of 12 volt batteries. It was sufficient to keep the batteries charged up to run our 12 volt lights, water pump, fantastic fans, etc., and was all we needed for the limited boondocking we did, such as several days at Quartszite, Ariz. or an extended weekend here and there.

The unit we now have has two 155 watt panels, a 30 amp regulator (which regulates how much charging goes into our batteries so they won't get overcharged), a 2500 watt inverter (which changes our 12 volt battery power into 110 volt power so we can run additional things like the blow dryer, microwave - for popcorn or heating up food - not for extended cooking, cell phone battery chargers, computer, television, etc. - but not all at once!!), and four 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries. This has made it a little more comfortable for us when we find ourselves without campground hookups. And no, you cannot run your air conditioning on solar as you wouldn't be able to carry enough batteries to do it. But I like the fact that my unit is totally quiet, and the only maintenance I have to do is to add water to the batteries every three months! We had our installations done at Quartszite, Ariz. & have been mostly satisfied with what we have.

There was a fairly extensive thread on this subject on this forum not too long ago & I imagine you could find it and get more info. If you need further specifics let me know & I can email you.

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.
'06 3295RK
'03 GMC Duramx/Allison,4 door, long bed, supersprings,starboard running boards LineX
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:36 AM   #4
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Ronnilu,
Sounds like you have a nice setup. We sure could have used that on our recent Alaska trip. Would you mind telling us about how much a system like that costs?
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:57 AM   #5
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Given what you get relative to the cost for solar wouldn't it be more economical to purchase an additional battery and run your tow vehicle on occasion?
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote