Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #1
Dick n Marie
Established Member

M.O.C. #58
Tape on slide?

I've noticed when cleaning the roof the tape on the slide where the rubber roof meets the slide there is a white tape. Like a white duct tape. The edges in some areas are rooling back slightly from the slide going in.Anyone know what type tape this is? I'd like to get a roll just in case I need it.

Dick n Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I believe the tape you are talking about is Eternabond. It seals where the rubber roof and the slide face meets. Mine did come loose in places on my 2000 2850Rk and eventually I replaced it. The stuff is pretty pricey. I believe Camping World carrys it as well as other RV outlets.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Check out www.bestmaterials.com for the best buy for Eternabond Tape. It's just a little over half the price that CW charges. I buy mine there and always carry a spare roll. I often meet other RVers who need some tape and so I just "ante up."

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Just bought a 4x37 foot roll from the following link.

http://www.eternabond.com/detail.asp?id=ebosmrvt

I repaired a leak and it looks like fantastic stuff.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:52 AM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Dick & Marie

The tape you are talking about is from Keystone(the stuff they use at the factory)-it is not eternabond tape.This tape on one of my slides also was starting to curl up on the edges.I removed the entire strip of tape and replaced it with Eternabond tape-this stuff will NOT curl up.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
In using Eternabond tape, make sure it does not come in contact with silicone. This tape WILL NOT stick to silicone.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I was getting ready to post on the very same topic as I noticed the same problem when sweeping of the slides last weekend when packing up to come home.

Will I need to remove ALL of the old tape?
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:32 PM   #8
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Depends how bad your old tape is Wordsmith. Judgement call. The Eternabond is 4 inches wide which will cover the old quite a bit. Also you might tear the EDPM if your not carefull. My opinion is if it is just curled up at the edges just a little then you might keep the old tape on there. If you have leaking then I would take it off.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Be very careful removing the old tape if you must. I wasn't too careful and ended up tearing the roof and causing a leak. Had to have the whole thing replaced (on the large slide). I'd try to tape over the old tape, lapping it well. To be sure the new tape sticks well, be sure to clean the surface with a clean rag and rubbing alcohol. When it dries and you start laying the new tape, it WILL stick. Try and roll it out with something like a smooth, round bottle. This will ensure that the entire 4-inch surface of the tape will stick.

Orv

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:14 AM   #10
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Roger on the cleaning. I cleaned mine with alchol after cleaning with dawn. I installed over existing tape except for the area of small leak.

While I was washing the main slide roof I noticed that the water runnoff always went to the front outside corner of the slide. (Trailer level) This point always gets the heaviest water and thus generated my small leak over the years.

Even though the Eternabond is expensive I thought this ended up a cheap repair that I could do myself. Besides, I have a lot left over.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #11
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Dick it is called Tedlar tape. You can remove the curled edge then run a bead of Dicor sealant where the curled edge was. Allow extra time for the Dicor to dry.
Having said that, you can use the eternabond tape also. It is a very good product. Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:39 AM   #12
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks for the advice! I was leaning toward cleaning and just taping over but it never hurts to ask. Only about a half of an inch is curled and there is no leaking apparent.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote