Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
Dogman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #182
AC Problem

Just a "heads up" for anyone with a 2003 model 3670RL
We've had an intermittent problem with water dripping from the inside grille of the AC. We had the unit pulled from the roof and the pan checked but couldn't find any cracks or other reason for water dripping inside. The AC repairman called the Duotherm "hotline" and before he could even explain the problem they asked him if this was a unit on a Montana. He said it was and they told him they knew what the problem was and that they had a retrofit part to fix it. They told him that the way the AC was mounted on the roof caused the drain pan to be tipped to far to the rear and when used in high condensation producing situations (high humidity) the excess water produced overflowed the rear of the pan faster then the drains could carry it away. The "fix-it" part was designed to raise the drain pan so it was more level which supposedly will eliminate the overflow problem. We are currently sitting in a CG in Texas (in 90 degree heat) waiting for the part to arrive. Hopefully it will be soon!!!
I don't know how many Montanas might be affected by this situation but I know the one we have is.

Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:04 PM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Many have had that same problem. The pan retrofit has worked for most but some have gotten the unit replaced. Mine got a standard profile unit and has not leaked since.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:33 AM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I had the same problem, had the baffle put in which did not fix the problem. Mine was the lo-profile Penguin unit. Was replaced with the standard height Duo-Therm and no problems since.

My problem was freezing up not water overflow. The fan would pull the water from the frozen AC element and blow into the unit which usually showed up as dripping from the grill. Twice from the ceiling also. The ceiling drips was of major concern to me.

BTW, I did run at a higher temp, hi speed fan, low speed fan, automatic fan. All to no avail.

Ours is the 2003 2955RL. I noticed that the new models have also relocated the AC to a more rearward position and I have not seen any new units with the lo profile installed.

Dometic would only replace with a like unit, Montana replaced the AC and wanted the old one back. All this one day before our warranty was up. I live in a place (Nevada) with lo humidity. Glad I had to take a trip to a place with humidity before warranty expired!!!
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:03 AM   #5
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
I noticed mine driped from the grill for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I thought maybe it was freezing up. But after reading about others I guess I have the same pan problems. I also have the low profile model. But I am now out of warranty. It has only done this one time so I guess right now I won't do anything about it. It helps to know what my problem is. Thanks
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 01:46 PM   #6
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
We had the "drip" problem - usually along with the unit freezing up - when we'd first fire it up in high humidity.

We found a small 110V dehumidifier can work wonders in preventing it bu keeping the humidity below 50%.

FWIW, we'd also noticed that the interior temperature didn't begin to drop until the humidity fell below 45%.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote