Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2019, 06:06 PM   #21
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
DFB your spot on. America is starting to make crap and the american people are accepting it. I should carry one of each part on my Monty, because they use cheap chinese crap???? All about greed!I bought a like new 2014 and being a craftsman myself, I was totally dumbfounded that they would put so little effort into the product!!! This is MHO.

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #22
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdgood1 View Post
DFB your spot on. America is starting to make crap and the american people are accepting it. I should carry one of each part on my Monty, because they use cheap chinese crap???? All about greed!I bought a like new 2014 and being a craftsman myself, I was totally dumbfounded that they would put so little effort into the product!!! This is MHO.
Evertime a product breaks in our Home we RETURN IT.... I never want to pay for the same thing Twice.. Maybe if all return it, they will be forced to Improve the items being made... Chinese CRAP!!!
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #23
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Lets see: I broke rear springs on a 1961 Dodge and it was never overloaded. Broke a spring on a 1991 Fleetwood Prowler 24' TT. Both of those were way before Chinese iron, they were both good old Made in the USA.
Todays problems are two fold: 1. Everybody wants things cheaper and the MFRs are making it happen by using cheaper materials.
2. In the process of making things cheaper they're using bare minimum materials, like tires that just barely support the empty trailer and suspension parts that are also just barely enough for the empty unit.
Have friends with a Georgetown MH that once they're both in the front seats, they're overloaded on the front axle.
About the only thing we can do is either don't buy (not going to happen) or spend the money to strengthen all the weak points.
My story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 07-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #24
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
dfb. again, it happens and it is what it is. relax and enjoy rving that's part of it. If you want a better system there always is the IS system for another $7K.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #25
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
In discussing imported junk, has anyone found a good supplier of USA made springs for these rigs?

I have had one spring pack break, fortunately had no other damage from this failure. Had a Chinese bearing fail, only run Timkens now. Had Chinese Goodyears fail, only using G614's now, but would have no problem with Sailuns if I had to. Unfortunately, had a USA Dexter backing plate/brake assembly fail, so can't blame the Chinese on this, except the internal parts are of unknown origin. All this keeps RVing exciting, and you are able to develop repair skills that you never expected you would need.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:55 AM   #26
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
In discussing imported junk, has anyone found a good supplier of USA made springs for these rigs?

I have had one spring pack break, fortunately had no other damage from this failure. Had a Chinese bearing fail, only run Timkens now. Had Chinese Goodyears fail, only using G614's now, but would have no problem with Sailuns if I had to. Unfortunately, had a USA Dexter backing plate/brake assembly fail, so can't blame the Chinese on this, except the internal parts are of unknown origin. All this keeps RVing exciting, and you are able to develop repair skills that you never expected you would need.
As many of you know, I recently upgraded my axles and springs to 8k when I did the disc upgrade. When I got the springs in from Dexter, this is one of the first things I noticed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190502_183224571-600x600.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	4366  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 AM   #27
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Can you imagine putting 5200 pound suspension on a 38 foot, 12,000 CAT scaled pound High Country? I couldn't either but that's the way ours came. It doesn't have pt now, And the Tow Max tires were replaced after a single trip. Then there was that misassembled MORryde CRE. And the Dexter brakes that barely worked with a '10' setting. And one Chinese wheel bearing that was blued from heat and another with a chip. These are now the 6000 (+)pound springs, bearings as well as US made Timkens.

Hanger bolts - at about 4000 miles I decided to install wet bolts. Good thing as the OEM bushings were shot and the bolts galled. At about 12,000 miles decided to pull one of those bolts for a check while doing a bearing repack. OH @#$%!!! The wet bolt brass bushings were 'shot' again and yes they were all assembled correctly and well greased

Virtually every item on our 5er other then the actual body and the LCI frame has a Made in China sticker or imprint. I for sure am not happy about that situation. But have made up my mind to accept it if we, my wife and I, are going to do the RV thing. I have the tools and the skill sets needed to fix virtually anything that fails. Not a good situation but it is what it is and until a major groundswell of class action suits, the RV manufacturers will continue building these RV and as cheap as possible to meet real (or perceived) price points and to keep their bottom line as black as possible
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #28
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Lets see: I broke rear springs on a 1961 Dodge and it was never overloaded. Broke a spring on a 1991 Fleetwood Prowler 24' TT. Both of those were way before Chinese iron, they were both good old Made in the USA.
Todays problems are two fold: 1. Everybody wants things cheaper and the MFRs are making it happen by using cheaper materials.
2. In the process of making things cheaper they're using bare minimum materials, like tires that just barely support the empty trailer and suspension parts that are also just barely enough for the empty unit.
Have friends with a Georgetown MH that once they're both in the front seats, they're overloaded on the front axle.
About the only thing we can do is either don't buy (not going to happen) or spend the money to strengthen all the weak points.
My story and I'm sticking to it!
Never happened to me. From a 55 Chevy that the original spare was still good to my 17 Ram.. I dont want cheaper at a 90,000 rv! I want quality and willing to pay for it. I dont want to fix my Montana every single time we use it. I would much rather motel, hotel it ... There was an ol saying"ANYTHING WORTH DOING IS WORTH DOING IT RIGHT " No matter HOW CHEAP, CHEAP IS CHEAP AND I rather BURN MY MONEY than buy garbage. Personally, if everyone had the attitude it is what it is, Companies would get better at ripping folks off. THE MONEY I GAVE TO THOR WAS NOT DEFECTIVE, DONT EVER SELL ME TRASH!.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #29
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Can you imagine putting 5200 pound suspension on a 38 foot, 12,000 CAT scaled pound High Country? I couldn't either but that's the way ours came. It doesn't have pt now, And the Tow Max tires were replaced after a single trip. Then there was that misassembled MORryde CRE. And the Dexter brakes that barely worked with a '10' setting. And one Chinese wheel bearing that was blued from heat and another with a chip. These are now the 6000 (+)pound springs, bearings as well as US made Timkens.

Hanger bolts - at about 4000 miles I decided to install wet bolts. Good thing as the OEM bushings were shot and the bolts galled. At about 12,000 miles decided to pull one of those bolts for a check while doing a bearing repack. OH @#$%!!! The wet bolt brass bushings were 'shot' again and yes they were all assembled correctly and well greased

Virtually every item on our 5er other then the actual body and the LCI frame has a Made in China sticker or imprint. I for sure am not happy about that situation. But have made up my mind to accept it if we, my wife and I, are going to do the RV thing. I have the tools and the skill sets needed to fix virtually anything that fails. Not a good situation but it is what it is and until a major groundswell of class action suits, the RV manufacturers will continue building these RV and as cheap as possible to meet real (or perceived) price points and to keep their bottom line as black as possible
So I can understand this, youre willing to put others and your family at risk in the event that a broken susoension causes an accident?. Your Wife is going to get out a 6 foot long breaker bar so you can crawl under your trailer on the side if the freeway to reinstall a sub standard part? You're a better man than Me.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:14 AM   #30
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
We all know the real problem...

Too big. Too heavy.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #31
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
So I can understand this, youre willing to put others and your family at risk in the event that a broken susoension causes an accident?. Your Wife is going to get out a 6 foot long breaker bar so you can crawl under your trailer on the side if the freeway to reinstall a sub standard part? You're a better man than Me.

I guess you had trouble understanding what I said in my post. I have corrected, to the best of my ability, those suspension shortcomings on our 5er. Is there still a possibilty of component failure - sure. Could there have been better parts - again sure. Why not pick on your TV. They too use crap parts and they too can fail. Mine is in the Ford shop for a DEF heater and it's only 9 years old with 120,000 miles. Look at your daily driver an tell me that it will go 100 to 150,000 miles with no failures. Look at your DWs crap washer and dryer and tell me that these pieces of Chinese junk will last like your mother's that lasted 20 years. Do you need any more examples of crap that has been foisted on us by US manufacturers that have for economic reasons moved their manufacturing to - gasp - China. Bangladesh, Hong Kong, Malasia, Viet Nam to name just a few Far East low quality producing countries.

Do you want to continue RVing? If so, you have to put up with the junk the manufacturers are supplying. Do I like it - absolutely not! It is a sad fact of today's life and it isn't going to change any time soon. I'd get political about US manufacturing but that's a forum no-no but you can find all you need to know about it in numerous places on the 'net.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #32
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We had a guy who gave our jobs to china..bad juju..I'm at the point where it is no fun anymore.stripped slide gears, blown tires, broken suspension components, toilets not holding water, ceiling fans coming down, rope lights burning out, outlets quit working, fender screws coming out, cabinet doors being ripped out by refrigerator, lumber coming off logging trucks and putting holes in the cap, refrigerator stainless getting dents by hitting center island, top plastic mouldings rotting out by the sun in first year.. just not fun..I bought this to enjoy life, not to constantly fix it every single trip.just replaced the screen door latch with a metal one, plastic keeps breaking..usually when one buys used, their is work that needs to be done. Now, if you dont to work on the new ones, buy a used one as they are much better made.i have owned 6 5vers.. this one is by far the one that has given the most problems..and it was the most expensive..
Old 07-30-2019, 09:22 PM   #33
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahbill View Post
Done. We're trying to find out if others have had the problem. We maintain our RV from the outside in. This could be a recall issue and want to help Keystone.
Yes, had the same problem. Due to heavy weight and bad roads. Upgraded entire suspension.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #34
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
Yes, had the same problem. Due to heavy weight and bad roads. Upgraded entire suspension.
How was the suspension upgraded? ., thanks.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:18 AM   #35
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
How was the suspension upgraded? ., thanks.
I replaced both axles with 8k axles, all 4 leaf springs with 8k leaf springs, 8k Kodiak disc brakes, HD wetbolts, 9/16" lugs, and had the hangers reinforced welded. Also had the frame reinforced welded with 1/4" steel cross members. Changed all tires to Sailuns, with a 4400 load capacity each.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:27 AM   #36
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
mcrod
Just curious, what did the axle/brake and etc, minus tires system cost?

the IS system is running about $6500-7000.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:31 AM   #37
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
I replaced both axles with 8k axles, all 4 leaf springs with 8k leaf springs, 8k Kodiak disc brakes, HD wetbolts, 9/16" lugs, and had the hangers reinforced welded. Also had the frame reinforced welded with 1/4" steel cross members. Changed all tires to Sailuns, with a 4400 load capacity each.

Problem solved!

Really, with the extreme weight and mass of these things being towed over pot hole ridden highways; That's the way the factory should build them.

I think the entire RV industry is at a point where these units are simply too big and too heavy. Its what the people want though....

We searched for months for a 32' or under unit that was not an entry level unit. It simply is not being made that we could find.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:55 AM   #38
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
mcrod
Just curious, what did the axle/brake and etc, minus tires system cost?

$3500. Including labor to install. I chose that over independent suspension because parts are ready available and no special skill needed to repair. The entire assembly comes completely together on pallet from Dexter.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #39
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Had issues with our suspension for three years out of six...then I went 8k I.S. and disc brakes.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:25 AM   #40
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
Problem solved!

Really, with the extreme weight and mass of these things being towed over pot hole ridden highways; That's the way the factory should build them.

I think the entire RV industry is at a point where these units are simply too big and too heavy. Its what the people want though...
Manufacturers are now putting the same 8k setup on higher end models.