Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Replaced My Tires

Well, not to beat this topic into the ground, but I did find out some more information today, if not a little controversial. I'll let you judge for yourself when you see the pictures.

I went to Discount Tires, and replaced the Mission tires with Michelin. (If they had only spelled it right the first time) I put on the 235/85R16XPS.

Now I know that they are rated for 3042 @ 80 PSI. Just bear with me a moment or two.

I have the same pictorial rims that Jackflash posted in another thread.
Here is some information that I have ascertained, with photo proof:

THE RIMS ARE

I DON'T BELIEVE THIS

Oops! Wait a minute, what's this

I do not know of a tire with 110 pounds of pressure rated at a lowly 3042 pounds, do you?

ASSUME YEAR AND MONTH OF MANUFACTURE
I have this as February 07 See the first two squares with the little dot in each.

DOT-T, Whatever that is

The following have absolutely no meaning to me

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The controversy to me is how in the world can there be a sticker that says 3750@110PSI and on the inside have stamped MAX LOAD 3042 LBS.

When I saw the sticker, I was happy that I could run G614's at 110. But then I saw the inside stamp and out came the camera.

I will hit the scale on my next trip out, but I'm not going to worry about it. Tires look good.

Here is Hanna waiting to get packed and leave.

You can't see her new shoes, but they are there.

Man! She looks as big as a house!

Old 05-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wayne, it is a house, it is Wheelestate....
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My recommendation for anyone going to replace their tires on either their rig or tow vehicle is that they get in touch with LonnieB. For my money he is the most knowledgeable about tires that I have met. He seems to have a grasp on all makes and manufacturers. As a matter of fact, if you need tires it may be to your benefit to make a trip through Farwell, TX and see Lonnie.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

The controversy to me is how in the world can there be a sticker that says 3750@110PSI and on the inside have stamped MAX LOAD 3042 LBS.

When I saw the sticker, I was happy that I could run G614's at 110. But then I saw the inside stamp and out came the camera.

I will hit the scale on my next trip out, but I'm not going to worry about it. Tires look good.

Here is Hanna waiting to get packed and leave.

You can't see her new shoes, but they are there.

Man! She looks as big as a house!

Wow! I give up,I think I'll run on just the rims and forget the tires I am so confused.
Wayne,what model of trailer do you have?
I can't get a good clear shot of the inside of my rim but I can see max load of 3500 lbs.
As you read in my post Tredit says their rated at 80 PSI
What scares me, if I put on four Ribs rated at 3042=12,168 and the trailer itself weighs 12,000 lbs. it doesn't leave room for anything else. I am I missing something here?
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Glad you got it settled. I think you are on a roll.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Orv,
That is exactly what I did. Lonnie and I had a very nice phone chat. Several good recommendations. I picked one. The Discount Tire manager said his dad had a trailer just like mine (appearance anyhow) and was running the 235/85R16XPS. Time will tell.

Jack,
I have a 2008 (manufactured May 2007) 3400RL. GVWR 15500. Axel 7000.
I had the steel valves installed. Yeah! I might be a little over for the weight police.
Fortunately, we travel very light as far as personal supplies go.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I think I'd rather be over weight on Michelin's than under weight on these May Pops we got on the RV's.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:55 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
May Pops That's about the best moniker for a tire I have ever heard.

Wayne, those rim markings sure have me baffled. Kind of makes me wonder what happens if you do run 100 PSI, just who assumes the liability. HHHHMMMMMM?

Also, Gotta agree with Orv. While I do have a vast experience from years in the tire business and things such as load range, air pressures, construction, etc. Lonnie definitely has a more current working knowledge. Overall, Tires are the same today as they were years ago when it comes to their overall construction, load ranges, wear, etc but as far as current sizes and brands a lot has changed. Back in my days most all tires were made in the USA. Michelin's, in those days, were imported from France, Pirelli came in from Italy. There were a few other imports as well from Germany and England. Than Japan got into the market. A few years went by and Korea jumped in. Now it seems that China is taking over. Back then metric tires were just being introduced. Today there are tons of different metric sizes just for cars and light trucks. Way to many for a ex-tireman, like me, to keep up with.
Yes, on the MOC, LonnieB is the tireman and if I ever get to Texas you can bet I will be looking him up. If for no more reason than to see his operation and BS a bit about tires and if my tires are over 1/2 worn I just may get my new rubber at the same time.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:37 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wayne,

You should send the pics showing the multiple load ranges to Tredit and ask for an explanation. It looks like they will custom stamp the wheels with whatever loads and pressures the manufacturer happens to need.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:51 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Wayne,

You should send the pics showing the multiple load ranges to Tredit and ask for an explanation. It looks like they will custom stamp the wheels with whatever loads and pressures the manufacturer happens to need.
Good idea, but I don't think I would stop there. They'll likely feed a line just to cover their a$$. Maybe a CC to Keystone and the NHTSA too? Just a thought.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #12
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

I think I'd rather be over weight on Michelin's than under weight on these May Pops we got on the RV's.
I agree with you on that one will.
There's got to be a tire out there that's rated 3500 lbs. or above at 80 PSI and not made in China. Lonnie?
Jack
Old 05-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:

Jack,
If you have an email contact, I'll send the inquiry myself using Wayne's pics. This is frustrating.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Wayne I just changed my tires again and I blocked up the RV and installed a new heavy duty sup kit. cked My rims while they were off and they are 05 on my 06 and have the same numbers. Tires are rated for 3520 each and axels 6000 each and rims 3042 each. jmho If something dont change we will all starve if china cuts us off!!!. NO wait thats all we produce "FOOD".sorry guys tires are a sore spot with me right now. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Maybe it is the tire/rim industry's version of "one size fits all"!!??

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:

Quote:

Jack,
If you have an email contact, I'll send the inquiry myself using Wayne's pics. This is frustrating.
Brad, I sent you a PM.
Jack
Old 05-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jack,
Go for it. My pictures are public property. Do what needs to be done.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Wayne and Jack - I took liberties with your pictures Wayne! Ran into a similar problem on my last unit and replacement wheels. They were stamped wrong in the box and then sent me others that were stamped right but seemed like exactly the same wheel.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:10 AM   #19
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Wow Glenn, if I ever run for political office, I want you as my campain manager . Although I feel I know alot about tires, I am not an expert, I learn something new everyday, and I usually learn it from someone like you that spent many years in the tire business. Thank you Glenn for your vote of confidence, and if you ever get in my neck of the woods, I would consider it an honor to "pick your brain".

As for the wheel stampings........I too am very interested in seeing what you find out Brad. I have never seen anything like that before, and would like to know how they can raise the load limits on a wheel just by putting a sticker on it.

Oops, I didn't answer you Jack. As far as I know there is not a tire made in the US, of the correct size, rated for 3500 lbs at 80 psi. However, I will do more research to see what comes up.

Orv, your kind words did not go un-noticed, I just had CRS for a minute. Thank you sir, and may I say again it was a pleasure having you and your wife visit us, and allow us to work on your rig.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:38 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And the discussions are on.

I called Tredit and was connected to Jennifer. I explained what I saw and my concerns. She stated that Keystone puts the stickers on the wheels. I thanked her.

I called Keystone and spoke with Matt. I explained what I saw, my concerns, and Tredit's comment.

Silence.

Some more discussion and Matt said they would call Tredit. He stated that the wheels and tires come mounted. I agreed to send him the pictures of the contradiction in load rating between sticker and embossed metal stamp. He gave me Kellie Weidner's name at Tredit.

I called Kellie and explained all the above. I asked if she would like the pictures and she said she would.

I sent a single email to both with my sightings and concerns.

Time will tell!