Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Improvements

Below are observations / experiences with our Montana's. Keystone please...........
1. Get after Dexter Axle to improve their electric brake system. More durable, longer lasting and better performing.
Disk brakes would be a nice improvement in future units.
2. Wheel bearings must be improved to reduce maintenance intervals. Install wheel bearings that have zero maintenance or close to it. (Not Nev-R-Lube) Good idea, but the bearings are too close together to be effective.
3. Make all gas/electric water heaters operable from inside the coach. Kind of crazy that you would have to go outside at the unit to turn on the electric.
4. Put a slide out pantry in every unit. No room? - Find room.
5. This one I can not figure out. Why are speakers mounted outside at the top of the living room slide. Who on earth in a campground would want to listen to them? Eliminate the OS speakers and credit the bottom line. If Keystone really wants to install outside speakers, mount them lower near the bottom of the unit close to where people might be sitting at a picnic table and put a volume control nearby.
6. Move the spare tire from under the unit to the back where it is more accessible. I don't think anyone here would rather crawl on their belly to get the spare tire.

That's it - for now.

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would agree on all items and would add: "We won't be considering a new rig until disk brakes are available". We put them on at our cost and why would we want to take a step backwards into a new rig?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Good ideas, but a few comments:

#3 - Our Monty has both the electric and gas controls inside. If not on all units, add them.
#4 - I find the slide out pantry a waste of space so please do not.
#6 - Please keep the spare under the rig, they are ugly and I would prefer you use a quality tires so I rarely need a spare.

Just my two cents and I am sure my bride would debate it being worth that much (grin).
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Excellent points; We also prefer the spare under the unit.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

Excellent points; We also prefer the spare under the unit.
Same here, except I have to carry it in the bed of the truck. I can't back into my driveway with the spare mounted, it hits a hump in the end of the drive.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
On my old Sunnybrook the spare was under the camper right behind the bumper. Very convenient. Maybe that spoiled me. I removed the spare tire carrier on the Monty and mounted the mud flap bracket and sewer hose carrier in it's place. welded up a spare tire carrier for the bumper and bought a vinyl cover for it. Not bad, but works for us.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Some additional thoughts and suggestions:

1) Put a second tank level meter in the convienence panel outside. Would help when emptying or filling tanks.

2) Put yellow light under steps on a seperate switch.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was surprised at how simple and easy it was to get the spare tire down and back in. Our electric hot water switch is in the camper and was also on our 2006 3400. Disk brakes would be nice but expensive. Could be a option. I for one would have them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

...Our electric hot water switch is in the camper and was also on our 2006 3400....
That's odd. The gas switch is inside, but the electric is outside on the unit...2007 3400RL.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
We took a road trip this weekend and stopped to look at some SOB's we had never seen before(Trilogy). We saw some things that we thought would be great additions to our already superior(IMO) brand.
1.Full size residential frig with in the door ice and water.
2.My wife fell in love with the double door pantry with interior swing out storage.
3.Spare tire stowed in the storage compartment where it's not subject to the elements-keeping it in good condition and making it easy to check pre-trip. (How many of us cuss our under-mounted spares when checking pressure?)
4.A separate compartment for electrical conection and locked cord storage.
5.Interior LED lighting(I know these are available now) on dimmer switches.
6.Goodyear G614's standard and G114's with 17.5" wheels optional.
7.A good quality mattress. Though I would like to see mattress options available at time of order if doing so.
8.A frosted window with a small slider portion in the "throne" room.

On a negative note, not one of the models had an oven other than convection type. My wife does not like the convection type and I like my hot cinnamon rolls in the morning! I did not see where they are even available on their website. We looked over the interior fit and finish well and Montana is far superior.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I think that Keystone could get the Gally tank dump valve in a easier and more accessable place, and not between the two tires under the slide and through the frame. I dont know if others in the newer Montys have there dump valve for the gally mounted the same as me mine which is a 04. I did deactavate the OEM valve and mounted a 1 1/2 " valve forward near the 3" dump pipe.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The full sized residential frigs are nice, especially if the manufacturer provides enough batteries and large enough invertors to run then while you are on the road for 8 hours in 90 degree heat or boon docking for extended periods of time.

I look at them, then tend to backtrack a bit on that. As they say, the jury is still out.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our water heater is on a breaker inside the coach in the breaker panel. Once the switch on the outside is on the water heater is controlled from inside the coach. We never change the switch on the water heater. It stays on all the time. Ours is a 2000 model so I don't know why subsequent years weren't built the same way. Maybe you should check and see if you have a breaker also.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #14
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I think it would be nice if the front lounge models had heat and AC controls designed for them instead of the same zone controls used in rear lounge
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #15
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
How about complete and accurate wiring plumbing diagrams structural plans etc. Key component parts lists with numbers.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
I believe a sign or placard of some kind on the basement door that says "Do not get everything in this compartment out for use when only camping for a weekend" would be very beneficial. It would give me something to show my wife when she asks about something I did not get out and don't have any plans of getting out. -Glenn
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'm impressed Richfaa found removing the spare quite easy. I just finished checking the air pressure on my rig but I lowered the spare onto my creepie crawlie, then crawled underneath to undo the cable holder. At least I wasn't dragging the tire since I just wheeled it out. To me this wasn't all that easy, but I'll do what I need to to check the tire aired up. My spare is way up under the rig right behind the rear axle. What a pain.

I finally got smart and turned the wheel upside down with the valve facing down and positioned it so that the valve is towards the front of the rig (less chance of getting knocked around by debris?) then remounted the wheel under the rig. Next time I use the creepie crawlie for myself when checking the air. For now the valve is recessed enough and not hanging down below the outside surface of the tire. I wonder how it will do if I ever get a tpms monitor.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

How about complete and accurate wiring plumbing diagrams structural plans etc. Key component parts lists with numbers.
Even a descent owner's manual would be a great improvement. Although I must say, this problem is not just with 5th wheel RVs. Our MH, which cost a dollar or two more than our 3400RL, has a manual designed for the four models this manufacturer builds. It has a labeled diagram for each dash board. For my model, the manual has 38 items listed. By the time I got it totally corrected, there were 45 items and 30 were either wrong (mislabeled), or added. I used most of a bottle of white out on that page.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I'm impressed Richfaa found removing the spare quite easy. I just finished checking the air pressure on my rig but I lowered the spare onto my creepie crawlie, then crawled underneath to undo the cable holder. At least I wasn't dragging the tire since I just wheeled it out. To me this wasn't all that easy, but I'll do what I need to to check the tire aired up. My spare is way up under the rig right behind the rear axle. What a pain.

I finally got smart and turned the wheel upside down with the valve facing down and positioned it so that the valve is towards the front of the rig (less chance of getting knocked around by debris?) then remounted the wheel under the rig. Next time I use the creepie crawlie for myself when checking the air. For now the valve is recessed enough and not hanging down below the outside surface of the tire. I wonder how it will do if I ever get a tpms monitor.
Maybe the 2013's are easier to get the tire down. We just cranked it down and it was on the ground. Our valve stem is on the under side . Now I never had to get the spare down on our 06 3400.I watched the guy do it when he changed out the spare and we had no trouble getting the flat spare out and the repaired spare up and I am not at all handy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #20
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
First thing I did was remove the spare from under the trailer and mount it inside the main storage compartment. It's clean, high 'n dry. Yes, it takes up a little room....but how much junk do you carry anyway? I still have plenty of room for what I really need and then some.

The detailed diagrams for wiring and plumbing would be greatly appreciated. As a DIYer those would be very handy. (When I asked my dealer for them I was told "they aren't available. Just bring the unit to us." Ya, right!)
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote