Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Can You Tell Me How

I am no electrician. I would like to put a 120 V outlet in the basement of my 2955rl. I think I need to bring a wire from the fuse box to the new socket. What type of wire would you use? How do you hook up the wire in the fuse box? Any help will be most appreciated.

I told you I am no electrician! :-)

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bob,
You have admitted not knowing much about electricity. That makes you a safer man than I because I think I know a little but am not licensed. With that statement I suggest this is one time you hire a certified electrician to do the work. You are asking the right question but it has too many options and "y's" in the road to easily answer. The size wire depends on the expected current usage.
A couple owners have had electrical problems to include fires in their unit so, with that thought (concern) I again suggest you get an electrician to help guide you on this one.
Best of luck,
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bob, I put working with electricity in the same category as fondling a snake, both I am deathly afraid of. I would like to do the same as you but I must defer to a qualified electrician, probably when I get to the fall rally........I do know one thing: Fuses go with DC and circuit breakers go with AC, I think......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bob,
Go to Home Depot and check out the available conduit wire on the racks and there is usually a chart there that tells you what guage wire you will need based on the amperage and the length of run. This is usually available as well on the internet. My suggestion is to add a new 15 or 20 amp breaker into your breaker box and snake the wire to the basement to an outlet receptacle that you likewise can get at Home Depot. Do a little internet research and you can get all of your questions answered. Or do as I did and ask Ozz!!!!!
Bingo
On edit: And whatever you do, make sure the rig is de-energized before starting.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I wish you were close so I could help you out, but I must agree with John. There are just too many ways for a guy to get in electrical trouble, if you are not so inclined.
You could run a 12 gage (extension) cord from an unused washer or dryer outlet down to the basement without too much danger..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Bob - Here's what I did when I had my 2003 Montana 2955 and installed a 120V outlet in a weatherproof box in the front compartment to run my small air compressor. Unplug from shore power, unscrew and pull out the load center (120V ac panel) so you can get at the back. Use #14 3-wire cable with ground. Connect the black end to the microwave hot side - there is one wire going in there already and just double up. I used the microwave since it was unlikely I would be microwaving and running the air compressor at the same time. If you don't want to do this, buy an identical 15 amp breaker and install that in the panel. Run the white common to the common terminal and the bare ground to a ground terminal. Then run the wire into the basement - use plastic wire clips that screw onto the aluminum frame through pilot holes you drill. Screw on the weatherproof box and wire up the receptacle. If you are not sure about which is common and which is hot or how to wire up receptacles, get someone experienced here to help you.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Not so sure I would use 14/2 wire better off going to 12/2 wire instead. It will handle 20 amp loads better and not have to worry about overloading the wire size. Like said before if you are not sure what your about to take on don't mess with it you can get HURT or burn up your unit if not done correctly. What you are trying to do is pretty straight forward and simple to do, but if your are not sure about doing get some help to be safe.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
14/3 wire will be the correct size wire for a 15amp breaker. 14 gage wire will carry almost 20amps, and will handle a freezer or most small applinaces.
As for connecting the wire to the recptical if you look at the back it will be marked for white(usually silver srews) and the other size will be marked for black (hot)(usually copper srews) the will also be a green srcew for the ground.
Be careful when you put the recepical in to the box, besure the ground wire does not touch the black wire.

Be sure to discount from shore power and turn off inverter if you have on.
Good Luck
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
As said before, there is more to it than just wire size, there is a bit of learned skill that keeps you out of trouble. There is not that much that could go wrong, but of those things that go wrong, most carry serious consequences. Many a fine home have burned to the ground because a wire staple was driven in too far with the hammer, and that's is just one example.

I would seriously consider finding a local electrician.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #10
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Just knowing the bare basics myself,what I did was ran a line from my washer or dryer outlet to the basement to a junction box and put a power strip on the wall of the basement.This way the line already has it's own breaker from the main power box.Buy a good power strip.If you are using a washer or dryer please disregard this idea
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #11
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
I put a power plug in the basement of mine by pulling the divider out of the basement to gain access to the wire going to the microwave and added a junction box. (had the divider off cleaning out rat/squirrel problems and fixing eaten wires to the furnace!) Then I ran the wire to a plug I installed on the wall.
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #12
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
I have a similar question. I want to add a two-plug outlet to the wardrobe - accessible from the side of the bed. (if one does not already come with a 2009 Monty) Sounds simple enough. Run wire from main breaker box to wardrobe, wire outlet box, install. Only needs small amount of power for light or clock radio.

OR.......I like the idea of a plug strip - plugged into the electric in the washer/dryer closet by the front door. Dropped through a small hole to the basement. Then run an extension cord from the plug strip to the wardrobe. Not by code, but should work just fine....

Should be easy to access the wardrobe next to the bed from underneath?

Bill
William O. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote