Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #61
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
In Texas, Farmers need to get a Class A or B exempt, but they cannot travel more than 150 miles from the farm

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #62
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
When would you ever ally dock with a 5th wheel?
Actually everytime you back into a campground lot.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #63
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Actually everytime you back into a campground lot.
Alley Dock is a 90 degree turn. The only place I have ever had to do one of those was in the "ghetto" at the national Rally. most others are at a 30 degree angle or a pull through
Old 03-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #64
Kasboat
Established Member

M.O.C. #22438
We’ve only been at this 5th wheel thing for about a year. Not sure where we’d ever need to perform a true 90 degree alley dock. The storage slot where we keep the 5th wheel is a 12’ wide three sided barn stall, but it is angled 15 to 25 degrees hasn’t been a problem to get into. Most campgrounds we have picked, if back in, are either angled or the width is more than 12’ so haven’t had a problem.
Being retired, no big deal to get a little practice, just to be sure I can master the challenge.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #65
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think the only time we did a "alley doc" as per the CDL test was during the CDL test.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:12 PM   #66
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
I think the only time we did a "alley doc" as per the CDL test was during the CDL test.
If you are from Ohio( a resident), can I ask what the purpose was in getting your "CDL",if you didn't need it for work purposes?

Ohio does NOT require a "cdl" to pull any type of camper, unless you are a commercial carrier, governed by DOT regulations.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:46 PM   #67
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Ally dock is not much different from backing to a campsite. 😀
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:47 AM   #68
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWin View Post
If you are from Ohio( a resident), can I ask what the purpose was in getting your "CDL",if you didn't need it for work purposes?

Ohio does NOT require a "cdl" to pull any type of camper, unless you are a commercial carrier, governed by DOT regulations.
There are about 8 states that require an exempt/non-commercial Class A license if your CGVW is over 26,000 pounds. Some are stricter than others, CA being the strictest, go figure.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #69
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:

Because we did need it for work purposes. We drove a school bus after we retired and needed a CDL.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #70
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Because we did need it for work purposes. We drove a school bus after we retired and needed a CDL.
Ok , Thats understandable. A school bus endorsement is NOT the same as a COMBINATIONS endorsement, that is 2 total different tests and beasts. There IS some parallels on the 2 endorsements, but its still akin to comparing apples to oranges.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #71
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
I have been following this thread with great interest. As a result I applied for my class A license. I must say, dealing with PennDot is just short of smacking your thumb with a sledge hammer.
I visited two state DMV offices and spoke with five different employees. Three of the guys actually got into a heated discussion about what is and what is not required. I was given the wrong forms, left hanging while they 'conferred' with someone in back, and left with my head spinning. I did finally get my class A learners permit.
The PennDot web site is even worse, I won't even go there. Then I learned that there are contracted third party CDL examiners available. OK, great, so I have to pay. Contacted three within 100 miles of me. They were awesome......except.....they are not allowed to test for NON commercial class A licenses, only for commercial. One lady at a local training school was super, provided exact info and all the CDL manuals in pdf format, she really knew her stuff.
Anyway, I now have about 40 pages of detailed info that I have to learn, I found a friend who still has a current class A CDL and is willing to go with me, AND....I got an appointment for the test in two weeks. I have to do this quickly as we have several trips pending.
Here we go!
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #72
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Ok , Thats understandable. A school bus endorsement is NOT the same as a COMBINATIONS endorsement, that is 2 total different tests and beasts. There IS some parallels on the 2 endorsements, but its still akin to comparing apples to oranges.
We did drive a school bus and a OTR Bus after we retired from the FAA..We drove for a transportation company. We had the CDL for a very long time. My career was with the FAA I was not a commercial driver for a career. My family did have trucks. The Combinations endorsement your are referring to is I assume a multi vehicle which requires a Class A CDL. We had a class A CDL although it was not required to drive a school bus.Endorsements were P,T.H, S(schools bus).We do not have a CDL anymore as we gave it up at out last renewal.We Rv that is it.

https://driving-tests.org/cdl-classification-licenses/

Why did we even get a Class A well the transportation company we were working for took I think 6 of us out to the testing station to take the test for a school bus in a school bus. I was the 2nd to take the test which only required a class B.While we were waiting around for the rest of the people to complete their test, To make a long story short I decided to also take the class A test. We had to "rent" a multi vehicle, it was a flat bed that they had there for that reason .I believe it was 75.00. I knew I could pass it having driven them before and a RV for a very long time. we just took the written test for the extra endorsements because we could. We only drove the school bus and OTR bus for the transportation company. We did that for 6 years till Helen retired then hit the road with the RV.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #73
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
We did drive a school bus and a OTR Bus after we retired from the FAA..We drove for a transportation company. We had the CDL for a very long time. My career was with the FAA I was not a commercial driver for a career. My family did have trucks. The Combinations endorsement your are referring to is I assume a multi vehicle which requires a Class A CDL. We had a class A CDL although it was not required to drive a school bus.Endorsements were P,T.H, S(schools bus).We do not have a CDL anymore as we gave it up at out last renewal.We Rv that is it.

https://driving-tests.org/cdl-classification-licenses/
Richfaa, if you are dragging around a Montana and live in CA you may need a non commercial class A.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #74
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
there are a few states that require a Non Commercial class A. Ohio requires nothing just jump in a drive away which I do not approve of.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #75
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I live in Virginia. We don’t need anything but a drivers license to drive any RV. I don’t see any reason to have any other license. We get along just fine without a commercial license.
Virginia is always in the top five states to do business. The state keeps its nose out of our business. I knew a state senator, now deceased, he said every time we pass a law we infringe on someone’ rights. I think Madison had something there.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:54 AM   #76
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
You learn something everyday. I had never heard of a 'non commercial class A' license.

here is a website:
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #77
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
IMO that "license" is a ploy by the State to collect Money. We do agree that there should be a requirement to test RV driving skills like a MC endorsement. I had a CDL and was
told it was not valid and would have to take the "non commercial test if I was in a State that required it. The term Non Commercial CDL is a contradiction of terms in itself.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #78
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
In CA the non commercial class A is a good compromise between a regular license and a full class A. It basically is a written and practical test for pulling large trailers without air brakes. It excludes all the commercial stuff and has a self evaluation for a medical exam. I don't agree with the backing up portion of the practical test but the rest is OK. They just make sure you can drive the rig proficiently.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #79
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Montana Man, I hope that is what I am facing right now. There has been SO much confusion with the DMV people about this. The study guides I received cover everything, Air brakes, compressors, hydraulic systems, even school bus stuff. I am studying it all (except the school bus stuff) to be safe. And the receipt I received for my appointment for the test states "Class A Commercial" test. I will Call them Monday to verify NON commercial. My goodness these people are difficult to deal with!
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #80
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Slufoot733, it sounds like you have the class A study guide. The non commercial handbook is much less involved and apparently hard to find. I would insist that they keep looking until they find one.

The study guide describes backing into a simulated camping spot as part of the test. In actuality, mine was a 90 degree back in to a narrow slot without crossing a line with the front of the truck. A semi has a tighter turning radius than my Ram as I pointed out to the examiner. He didn't care but gave me a little grace for the backing job I did. Other than that the rest was reasonable. Be prepared to take written tests for class c and motorcycles if you have one. Be very familiar with your trucks controls like wiper switches, hazard lights, etc. Good luck!

Tags
class a