Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
residential /norcold refrig.

i see several posts about changing to a residential refig. we have had 2 SOB'S and have had the single door fridge/freezer one 3yrs. one 7 yrs an both were norcold never had a single issue. now our 2014 has the norcold double door/freezer. and is working great we dont full time but spend roughly 30 nights a year in it. what are some of the issues.

okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Yesterday I posted a problem with our Norcold 1210. The frig/freezer is not cooling. It is cooling some, but not the way it should. So far the food in freezer that is frozen, is staying frozen. Any new meat added does not get frozen.

If you look in the problem discussion area you will see it.

Lots of luck with yours.

Marge
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The first thing you have to do is go to the members pages and see how many members are listed there. Then, if the search program was working, look at the number of refrigerator problem posts. Because problems get reported here we tend to think there are lots of them when in reality the failure rate isn't very high. Not to make light of the problems, particularly if it happens to you, just that we can scare ourselves by reading the forum and need to put the number of problems in perspective. We have 18 refrigeration systems in our restaurant. One or two are occasional problems, and by in large the rest give us years of trouble free service. The kicker is they are all manufactured by the same folks and are in many cases the same models. What I'm trying to say is that put refrigeration equipment in hard service or bounce them down the road and you're going to have some early failures and all of them will fail eventually, but a few failures out of thousands of units isn't something to worry excessively about.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
X2 what Dick says and it's not just about the refers. I spent hours looking through the forum before we completed purchase of our new/old unit last year to see where problems had been with the same model and common equipment we bought and inspected those areas thoroughly (nothing found). I have to admit, if I went through some of the things posted, I'd be more than upset, but they are not the norm. What issues are reported are typically not the norm, especially considering the number of Montanas that have been made and the number of MOC members there are. Some things definitely show things that really need to be paid attention to (tires, for example), others are things that should be kept in mind (mud daubers or thermistors falling off fins in refrigerators). I've found the forum to be a real peace of mind generator as it gives me information about things before they happen rather than having to come up with solutions from scratch.

Of course after saying this, if the whole back end falls off on the way to the rally, I'll be writing something different!