Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2016, 01:53 AM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Oregon Salmon Fishing in Fall 2017

Just got home from our 2016 travels and thinking about 2017. Any recommendations of timing and places for Oregon salmon fishing? Any other info on the subject will be welcome.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Actual run times vary with location...but august is start of run. Salmon are making come back so numbers should be up in 2017. They were predicting a thousand boats near bridge in astoria for this year. I did open water trolling miles off pacific city beach in the sixties in a dory. I would check out commercial boats that take passengers out or small concerns that ply some of the rivers. Love the oregon coast. John
Old 09-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Here ya go ,we Go out on the Big Samson every year from Dockside charters out of Depot Bay,they have other nice boats as well and love it every time we almost like fishing for Lingcod Better than Salmon but they do it all http://www.docksidedepoebay.com/index.php ALSO Depot Bay is just a cool little town
Old 09-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
From Elwaco on down the coast the charters should be doing great right now. Also should be some great fishing in the rivers or bays.

Tom Marty
Old 09-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Tim: I have been here on the Oregon coast (Winchester Bay) all month. Normally August and September are good salmon times. This year it hasn't been. I don't know how the commercial charter guys are doing. I don't fish Salmon, but I am surrounded here by guys who do. They all have their own boats. The guy two sites down caught 9 Cohos today. Unfortunately they were in the Umpqua river and you can only keep Coho's caught in the ocean (unless they are clipped which these were not). He had to release 6 30+ pounders and 3 smaller guys. The Kings are 5 miles offshore and down 250' waiting for the rains to flood the spawning creeks and signal it is time to head upstream.

Hopefully next year the weather will be more cooperative. I will PM you my phone number if you want to talk more with me or my fishing neighbors. If you want the phone numbers of some of the charter boats here to find out how they are doing, let me know.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:31 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Carl and others--Thanks for the great info. As I have said--planning now--but I am leaning to staying several weeks on the Oregon Coast around this time next year. We have been there before and enjoyed it. Note-we came home in early Sept to HOT and HUMID San Antonio--not doing that again.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:01 AM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
carl n susan are staying at one of the best Resorts in Oregon,and they are alot less busy this time of year we stayed at Winchester Bay RV resort for a Month in July and had to make reservations a YEAR in advance but Winchester bay is a good place to stay as it not to far away from Ocean and River Charters .Going up North Beautiful HWY 101
Old 09-20-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

...carl n susan are staying at one of the best Resorts in Oregon,and they are alot less busy this time of year...
Wrong and Wrong.

We are staying in the Winchester Bay area not the Winchester Bay RV Resort. We are here for six weeks and getting space, plus the price, is more than I care to deal with. While that park is a great place, it is not conducive to a group of 20+ people who like to sit outside and socialize. Too much wind, fog, and cold.

As for availability, they are completely full through through October. One year in advance is not enough for September as it is the best weather of the year and the start of the best salmon fishing.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
O.K fair enough Sorry and Sorry about that,most folks stay there when in Winchester Bay and last year we had no problem getting in Mid September with a 3 month call ahead I guess this year a different story and by the way when is it NOT Windy there??? it Never stops big groups of Folks Socializing outside for the 5 years I have been going there and come on Man it's the OREGON COAST not Huntington Beach put a Coat on I guess you have to be a NW person to handle it
Old 09-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have been coming to the Winchester Bay area for over 30 years. I am well aware of the weather. We have a large group which likes a nightly camp fire (we buy a cord of wood for it) running late in the evening, potlucks, and a full kitchen for cooking, cleaning and picking crab (with electricity, sewer, and hot water) all of which is outside. Oh yea, we are out of the wind and usually have sunshine when the Winchester Bay is socked in. There is a reason the area is called Windy Cove. Try doing all this at W.B. RV Resort.

As for the "put on a coat" crack, meet me out on the water every morning rain or shine. Rather than sitting in your warm, snug RV with a hot cup of coffee in your hand, come on out onto the water in a small, open boat to experience the full weather experience.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I guess you did not get the Smile on the end of the "put a coat on crack" or the SORRY and SORRY about you being at WB Resort OOPPPSSSS so LIGHTEN UP Carl!! I spent most of my life making a living as a Fish Monger in Alaska in Dutch Harbor and Ketchikan and Seattle and not in a warm fuzzy RV sucking a cup of Coffee and That kind of weather down there and being in a boat fishing is a Pleasure cruise to me, I did not mean to insult you and I smiled after the comment as I was just joking with ya..WOW It seems our Humor is a little different so I guess we will not be taking any Fishing trips together anytime soon...Bummer
Old 09-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I remember fishing for lingcod as well as salmon and we were way out off the coast in the dory. Fishing for lingcod was hauling a cannon ball weight back off the bottom, way down there, and when you got it back to the surface it was a whole lot of cranking and frankly not too fun. Now fishing for the salmon, even deep, was a joy. Them was the days... john