Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
NC mountains are beautiful

Nancy and I are at CreekWood Farms arrived this past monday and even now the mountains are peaceful and beautiful, the Johnathon river running clear an swift! This part of NC my favorite only 28 miles east of Ashville, and nestled in the arms of a beautiful quaint little town of Waynesville NC. Next week we'll be in Morristown tn. at Panther Creek state park, foot hills of the smokies. We got to be in Chattanooga in april for The National Cornbread Festival april, 27,28,29. This is agreat fun place to be at this time of year. Its held right downtown of South pittsburg Tn on the tennessee river. So if any monty family passes our way, please wave, come visit. we'll be in Chattanooga's Best Holiday Trav-L- park for a month. safe travelin everyone!

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Those mountains sure are beautiful! We've passed thru many times on our way back and forth from Missouri to North Carolina to visit family. We're looking forward to taking our rig and spending some time there next year.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Breath taking! They are beautiful that is the one thing that I really like about NC!

Kathy
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Hi Tom, we surely agree with you about the mountains of North Carolina. We have been going there since before we were married [there is a good explanation!]. We were there last year and stayed at Holly Cove RV park near Whittier, and also at Winngray Family Campground, which is just back toward Waynesville from where you are staying now. I would like to know more about Creekwood Farms as we will be coming back up to that area in May.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
We live here and like Creekwood also.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
http://www.creekwoodfarmrv.com
David, Shirley thats the web site to creekwood. We use to stay at Wingray years ago, but I have been staying at creekwood every since it was built. It still has the old barn and silo in the middle of campground. its passport America, has full hookups, free wifi ,and really great cable channels. Close to super wallyworlds, 28 miles east of Ashville, 7 miles from Waynesville, 5 miles from Maggie Valley and Ghost Town in the sky opening this yr (may I think). And be sure to see the Elk, and the ride over to Hot Springs is terrific! Nancy an I been vcoming to this area for years and still finding places and things we havent seen. really close to blue ridge parkway, 40 minutes to Cherokee nc, 20 miles to Slyva Nc and Dillsboro, really great little towns, with lotta antique places lots mountains, LOL, I could go on forever! We will be back as every yr this june for a month at creekwood, Cool nice weather , plenty of things going on at this park! I gotta shut up! lol,
Old 03-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
I'm feel sure you know about the Jarrett House in Dillsboro. We have been planning our trips for years in order to arrive there just in time for lunch.

In 1960 we flew up to Bryson City in our little Ercoupe. For more than a week we stayed in the Methodist Parsonage (upstairs in the church) at Whittier and I preached in the little country church: Olivet Methodist Church which was right on the Cherokee Boundary (maybe inside it, I'm not sure.) Talk about a country church! We had some of the best country ham I've ever had since that which my Grandfather Williamson cured here in East Texas.

Now our good friend, Dr. Joe Hale, lives in Waynesville. He was the Executive Secretary of the World Methodist Council with offices at Lake Junalaska for over 25 years until he retired. We will visit him and his wife in May--we will be in our Montana.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
yes sir I know all about Bryson city, the Jarrett house and those "little biscuits"!! lots of mornings we drive over to Junalaska and go for our walk around the lake. If you take the short drive over to ashville, right off I-40 at the Farmers Market exit (hwy 195) which is only a few 100 yards when you come off the exit turn to the left, there will be a LARGE farmers market go passed it a few yards, and try out the 'Moose Cafe" some of the best "vittles" all cooked fresh. hope you enjoy the area.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Sounds like a really great place to have a rally! I'm looking for a good excuse to take the Challenger down there.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We stayed in the end of sept 06 at Mama Gerties east of asheville and loved it . its very mountain type camping . we were there for a week and will go back in june this year on the way to wisconsin
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tom41

Nancy and I are at CreekWood Farms arrived this past monday and even now the mountains are peaceful and beautiful, the Johnathon river running clear an swift! This part of NC my favorite only 28 miles east of Ashville, and nestled in the arms of a beautiful quaint little town of Waynesville NC. Next week we'll be in Morristown tn. at Panther Creek state park, foot hills of the smokies. We got to be in Chattanooga in april for The National Cornbread Festival april, 27,28,29. This is agreat fun place to be at this time of year. Its held right downtown of South pittsburg Tn on the tennessee river. So if any monty family passes our way, please wave, come visit. we'll be in Chattanooga's Best Holiday Trav-L- park for a month. safe travelin everyone!
You are very close to my old summer stomping grounds from when I was growing up! My father retired when I was ten and we could spend the summers in the Pisgah National Forest, near Brevard. We used to head over the mountain on occasion to Waynesville. You are correct...it is a beautiful area. We would head back to Davison River campground but Marsha has a distinct aversion to any campground that does not have electric hookups!

Oh, well...
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
How great to see our friend Wordsmith back online! Thanks to this thread, we have confirmed reservations at Creekwood Farms for May 19-20. We will be visiting friends at Waynesville and enjoying one of our favorite places in the world.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are at the Pride RV Resort, right next to Creekwood. Is there anyone else in this area now? We took advice from a couple of you today and had lunch at The Jarrett House, in Dillsboro. Now we will have to go back to our Nutrisystem to make up for it. It was as great as reported. Those "little biscuits" topped it off. Drove through the Smokeys today. "Wow" and "Awesome" don't come close to describing their rugged beauty. We were planning to leave Monday for GA but may stay longer because of a high wind advisory from tonight through Monday evening, gusts up to 60mph. Traveling this way is a completely new experience to us - the weather is not right for towing so we stay longer in place. We always had to be somewhere at a certain time and back home right away because a client wanted something done "right now." Thanks for the information about The Mountains of NC. We love what we are seeing and will try to get back when the weather gets better.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #14
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
carol & jim, if you havent already take a drive over to hot springs nc. just go out to I-40, turn toward Ashville, go to the Very next exit, take your left. Its a very beautiful drive, approx.25 miles there. when you get there, its a little village with some shops, diners, and a very popular place for rafting. Also dont forget the "moose" that is only a few miles from your campground. Have fun!!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #15
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Last fall i camped in the smokies for 3 weeks at mamma gerties ,out side of asheville and then up to boone ,nc but now we are looking at Stone Bridge in Maggie valley for a week in june ,, any coment about stone bridge
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol and Jim, we spent 6 weeks in Gatlinburg and want to go back to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. If you find yourself in the area even longer than anticipated, there is so much to see and do in that park. In the Our Travels link, below, for ideas, in the 2005 Postcards, from April 6, 2005 through June 24, 2006 postcards, if you're interested in ideas. Or if anyone else is. This park was far more fascinating and beautiful than we had anticipated. I'm glad to see you are having a great time in your travels. I am just starting to peruse your blog. Enjoy!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #17
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Well, we have high wind warnings and winter snow advisories - winds sustained at 30 mph with gusts over 60 mph. That means that we will stay until Tues and tomorrow go to Hot Springs, thank you Tom and Nancy. Steve, thanks for checking out our blog. This is another first, blogging, so is is "Amateurs Night Out" with it for a while. Thanks also for the reference to your postcards - we will read and use the info for a trip back here when the weather is better. Sailer, don't know about Stone Bridge but we are at Pride Resort, in Maggie Valley. It is a membership park and we like it. It is right next door to Creekwood, the PA park referred to before in this thread. We look out our windows and see the clouds in the mountain tops.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #18
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I was impressed with Chimney Rock, fantastic view and a nice elevator ride to the top.
http://www.chimneyrockpark.com/index.php
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote