Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2009, 03:24 AM   #1
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Silver insulation @ the factory tour.

During the factory tour I overheard part of the tour guide before our tour tell about the silver insulation display in their break room. Our guide did not tell anything about it so I was hoping somebody would explain it in greater detail. Thanks.

mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
They are now putting the silver insulation on the roof along with the fiberglass. The silver insulation increases the R factor up to 24? I think on the roof and front and rear cap.

Note the thermometer reading for the left with and right without from sun lamp.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Since it is under the rubber roof, I wonder if it has any impact on the lifespan for the roof (glue, or the roof material it self) -- just thinking aloud here.....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
I believe our tour guide said the foil was also in the slide ceilings and it`s a double layer, under and over the insulation. It`s like the space blankets and would definitely be an improvement. Not sure if it might affect the Dicor rubber roof as it reflects the heat back up.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
The silver insulation goes over the batt insulation and I believe they said it increases the R value to either 32 or 36.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
It also keeps the aliens from reading and controlling our minds!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I thought that what the colander was for.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:01 AM   #8
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Actually, I think the aliens would want there insulation stuff back!
I wonder if it can be purchased? I have been thinking of all sorts of stuff to do with it. If it could be glued like wall paper it could be put inside on the ceiling and walls and wall papered over it if it's smooth. Maybe on the roof it could be covered with cloth like the Holiday Ramblers were.
That would make it much more comfortable during colder/hotter weather.
Or I could just buy a new one! Well no, no I cant.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
mopar1-- I have seen the "aluminum or whatever it is" at numerous homeshows here in Omaha. We have several companies that will come in and put it in your attic and etc and it is "guaranteed" to reduce your heating and a/c bills. I have seen some of the stuff that they are using as "winterizing" the units(the thin foil and airbubble wrap material) at Lowes, Home Depot and Menards also. I havae used it on several of the walls between the garage and the main house of the stick and it does seem to work. It is warmer up in the upper bedrooms in the winter and cooler in the summer. I'm going to experiment and put some of the rolled bubblewrap over the insulation in the attic over the upstairs to see if that also helps. I haven't been able to find just the sheet of the type of "foil" that Keystone uses yet from any of the above stores but I'm sure they will be coming out with it eventually since it is being used by companies now as "green home improvement". Supposedly, the companies that put the single sheeting stuff (like what Keystone had in their display and pictured in John's thread)in the is supposed to be a $1500 tax credit on the conservation of energy deal from the IRS. Wonder if we could get it for the Monte??
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 AM   #10
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
So that's why I have to leave the Monty to hear the voices? When I sat inside, I wasn't sure what to do...
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Is the aluminum going to affect satellite signal reception, for example, for our Sirius radio using an indoor antenna? In other words, would we have to place the antenna by a window, where we don't have to do that today? Likewise, any impact on indoor antenna location for an aircard? We're not anticipating trading FW's but I like to have a feel for these things. Just in case...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
That's a good point Steve, It'll be interesting to see what happens.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
If I remember correctly, the foil insulation is very expensive, equivalent to over a foot of pink stuff, and used on Montana and Big Sky, but not on Mountaineer. The price difference and R factors bear this out.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
I noticed the Mountaineer did not come with it. I bet for a price they would add it if I was ordering a new one.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As far as I know if it's not on the options list they won't do it. You'd have to have it done privately. They've made it pretty clear they don't custom build other than what's on the options list. It's a nice thought, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:33 AM   #16
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

As far as I know if it's not on the options list they won't do it. You'd have to have it done privately. They've made it pretty clear they don't custom build other than what's on the options list. It's a nice thought, though.
I would not have guessed that. I figured they would be willing to do whatever to get a sale.
I could not even fathom having the whole unit opened up to insulate it. It would probably be more cost effective to move up to SOB than go through that.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #17
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
The Mountaineer is well insulated, just not as well as the Montana. It has the same quality construction, at a much lower price. The savings is in less expensive insulation, fiberglass, cabinets, carpets, furniture etc. Its still a good buy.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mopar1

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I would not have guessed that. I figured they would be willing to do whatever to get a sale.
I could not even fathom having the whole unit opened up to insulate it. It would probably be more cost effective to move up to SOB than go through that.
From a manufacturing prospective, when you start doing that, it adds cost, interferes with production and can adversely effect quality. That's one of the lessons the Japanese taught the US car makers. It would an even bigger issue since Keystone is moving the Mountaineer production to a separate facility.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #19
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
I heard something about them moving the Mountaineer production but I understood it that they just combined the two during the slow down.
The reason I would like to see the Mountaineer brand as well insulated as the Montana's is for me the Mountaineer 345DBQ is the only bunk house Montana sells now. So with kids I can't easily get by without that option. Having children also means, like most people raising children, we are on a tight budget. We leave the camper at the camp ground and go out there on Friday evening about 5:00. Of course it is really hot in there from setting in the sun all day closed up and it takes the a/c till 9:00 to cool it off. If the electricity was free it would not be such a big deal but it's not.
So in the morning our camper is in the shade till about 11:00. As soon as the sun hits the camper the a/c is on till the sun goes down if the temps are in the 80's. We are not even comfortable if the temps get into the 90's.
Better insulation is one of those things that keep paying you back year after year.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 AM   #20
maintechfotog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9293
There is a commercial product called Triso-Super 10 (there are other similar materials made by other companies too) that is easy to install when building, but its not easy as an afterthought, except under the floor. Triso claims its the same insulation value as 218mm of Rock Wool. Its very lightweight and quite thin, but expensive. Some other types have four or five silver layers with insulating material between them, and they claim to have a better R value than Triso. I'm considering putting it under the Monty, but will check to see if it is water proof in that location. As with all insulation, if it gets wet, all bets are off.
maintechfotog is offline   Reply With Quote