Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2014, 03:31 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
National World War II Museum

Has anyone been to the National World War II museum in New Orleans? Is it worth a 1000+ mile round trip to N.O. specifically to visit the museum?

I don't have any real desire to visit Bourbon street or anything else I know of there. But I do enjoy visits to historical museums of most all kinds.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
We visited when it first opened at least 10 years ago. It was the D Day Museum at that time if my memory is correct. I assume this is is the same museum. At that time the Wiggins landing craft used in the D Day invasion was the main feature since it was built in NO. I believe it has expanded since then but haven't been back. The museum is within walking distance of the French Quarter if it is not in the middle of the summer. I realize you are not interested in that. You could visit the plantation houses along the Mississippi which were very interesting to us. You could also tour along the river up to Natchez, Mississippi which also has some nice antebellum homes to tour. Once you are in Natchez, you might as well visit Vicksburg battlefield which is interesting also. The Battle of New Orleans site is close to NO but haven't visited that site yet.

Then you could travel back to Texas through Kansas City and stop at the WWI museum and memorial. We toured it this summer and it is amazing. But if I keep going on you will be in Canada!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The N. O. museam is lots of reading and very little hardware.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
That is what I remember but wasn't sure if that was the museum. The WWI museum in Kansas City has a lot of hardware and weapons. We stayed in Independence, Missouri and toured the Truman Library, his home, several houses built in the late 19th century, and info on the Oregon, Santa Fe and California trails in a small museum. Several of these sites were within walking distance from the Campus RV park in Independence. I am not with their Chamber of Commerce. We really enjoyed the area from a historical viewpoint. Just saying -

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I may have to plan a visit to the WWII museum in N.O. when we are already in that area rather than a special trip.

I was not even aware of the WWI museum in KC. Will have to put that one on the agenda.

Have been to Vicksburg a couple times and many other civil war and war of independence battlefields and historical sites and museums in the eastern US. And of course, the WALL in DC along with the museums and other memorials. Those I could visit many times.

The National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, TX is also a very good museum if you have not been there. Lots of reading, but also lots of hardware. And they also have (from what I have heard) a very good reanactment with fighting, explosives, flamethrowers, landing craft, etc. on certain weekends thru out the year. Got to make it to one of those.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
MikenAngie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13784
If you are ever in the area of southwest Virginia, the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA is worthy of a stop.
Nice web site also.
MikenAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I need to start making a list.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:38 AM   #8
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
IMHO the food in NO is worth the trip,,,,,,
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:25 AM   #9
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Several years ago we were waiting for the Civil War museum across the street to open, and we ppped in to the WW2 just to spend a few minutes. We were totally blown away! We spent a couple of hours and missed the Civil War exhibits that trip. Unless it has changed, it is well worth the trip...not to mention the food all around you!!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #10
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We visited the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA on the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landing. They had a very moving ceremony. Well worth the visit.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote