Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2005, 08:01 AM   #1
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
DALLAS STOP ON WAY TO VALLEY

Can any of you EXPERTS please advise me of a decent CG around the south side of Dallas. That will be me half way point and 550 miles from home on my way down. I will be tired from towing and looking for something off of w35 just south of Dallas. This will just be an overnighter. Not comfortable with a Walmart parking lot.. I will not unhook. Any of your EXPERT suggestions will be greatly appreciated. This will be our FIRST TIME to the valley. Dispite the fact my DW loves our 3650RK it is very hard for her to think about leaving her plants and all the wild animals and birds she has around the place that depend on her feeding them. You would be amazed at all I went through to find someone QUALIFIED to care for her wild creature's for just the two weeks we plan on being away. I am hoping that if this two weeks works for her... then perhaps two months might be my magic number for next year ha ha. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP HERE.... Later John Hogan and DW Christa

Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We stayed at Timber Lodge in New Waverly which is southeast of Dallas. Nice park and a very nice manager. We got in under AOR and enjoyed our stay.........Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi We stayed twice at Cowtown RV park. I-20 eit 418. 106 pull thrus. A little west of your route but it's a good over nite stop. www.cowtownrv.com Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Assuming you are coming through Dallas on I-35, from I-20 on the south side it is 65 miles to the little town of West at Exit 354, there is a KOA on the east side on the Interstate. Stayed there before and it is easy off, easy back on. It would be a shame that you could not unhook and go into town in the morning and pick up some of their state famous kolaches for breakfast.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
We have stayed at the RV Ranch Campground in Burleson right off I-35W. This is our third time here and what a beautiful CG. We will be leaving here on the 30th and should be in Mission, TX in the RGV by Jan 5th. The toll free # is 888-855-9091. I highly recommend this one. Marge
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.... I am looking forward to trying this Rio Grande Valley THING... Seems it's CATCHING.....Do I have to have a great big cowboy hat and say YOUall if so I will have to go shopping, and start talking COWBOY....HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR'S FOLK'S and thank you again.

Later John H
Old 12-28-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Those of us who already say 'y'all' will have a shorter adjustment period.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Ah kin tell y'all that 'cept fo the fust part o' Dec, it's been mostly sho't pants n' baseball caps here at Mission.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:14 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
John H
Be careful about that cowboy hat. Don't get one for your DW. Many years ago, one of my daughters was living in Dallas and we planned on stopping there on our way from New York to California. Three of us were traveling in a Mustang. We carried our very expensive leather cowboy hats in the back window just for the Dallas stop over. We were going out to "XXX Bob's" (can't remember the name) and my daughter's boyfriend wouldn't let my other daughter and me wear our cowboy hats because he said "Ladies don't wear them". They were too hot for So. Calif. and we got rid of them!
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:33 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Love that accent, Skip and Mary. Makes me feel right at home. I usually revert back to my Texas twang quickly when I'm around some true Texans. We lived in Texas for several years. Love to hear about the shorts thang.

Sue, you were probably going to Billy Bob's in Fort Worth, near the Stockyards, which is a great place to visit. Lots of Texas flavor there. It's one of the biggest nightclubs in Texas with all the major stars performing there. Now the ladies wear cowboy hats, too. You were just too early.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:12 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We just signed up with RV Ranch for our 9 day stay in Fort Worth (Dec. 30 - Jan. 7), thanks to this thread. Sorry that we'll miss you, Marge, but we'll see you in the Valley.

We usually stay at Benbrook Lake at one of the COE campgrounds but we're a little concerned about the wildfires in Texas. RV Ranch looks like a nice place.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:45 AM   #12
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
Judy, Sorry that we will miss you but looking forward to seeing you in the RGV. We have been at the RV Ranch since Dec. 27th, leaving tomorrow for the Belton KOA for one night. Then on to San Antonio KOA for 3 nights, and Lake Corpus Christi KOA for two nights. Leaving on Jan. 5th for Mission. Drive safe and we'll see you in the valley. Marge
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #13
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
OK I am back folk's, I again appreciate all the helpful INFO. Neighbor stopped by to visit and advised that if I had a cow chip in both rear pockets and let a little chew drip down on my chin, I would fit right in.... Looking for some COWS now!!! and will start to work on the chin DRIBBLE in the next few days. I really want to fit in and not look like a tourist. My DW said she will not be sitting near me.. Later JOHN H
Old 12-29-2005, 05:38 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John H, where are you staying in the RGV?

This will be our first time there, too. I understand the natives there cater to the RV'ers so it might be a plus to look like a tourist there!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:22 PM   #15
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Steve - Right now it looks like www.LlanoGrandeResort.com it is in Mercedes, Texas. It's really hard when you have never been down there... I guess we will use to two weeks to visit MOC folk's such are yourselves and really evaluate the territory... Unfortunutly, I am not a golfer,,, wish I were, as most of the resorts down there appear to cater to the golfer.... I love sporting clay, but there is only one spot in Mission, Texas that has a sporting clay and skeet range and they are not open all the time. I think a person is going to have to find place that will have a few things he like's to do... to pass the time. WE have went to a few of the samboree's and I think there should be more things to do for adults than throw bean bags through holes in plywood.....Maybe I am expecting to much????? We hope to meet new friends and injoy other MOC's company. If anyone else has some favorite spots to stay (AND REASONS FOR THE CHOICE) I would appreciate hearing from some of you. Later John H
Old 12-30-2005, 03:31 PM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We're in the learning mode, too, John, as this will be our first trip to the valley. We decided to stay in Victoria Palms as we at least knew about its reputation. But we will be looking at other parks to consider for future trips.

We arrived at RV Ranch in Fort Worth about 4 PM and are settled in with high speed wireless. Sure do miss that dialup at home....NOT!!! Now I'll have to go through another adjustment period when we get back home.

We received a royal welcome from our two little granddaughters. They were so glad to see us, almost as good as seeing Greta and their Christmas presents! We'll be here until Jan. 8th. Nice park.