Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2005, 12:50 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by smc

Does anyone know if we can get a dish in the US that will work in Canada? When I talked to the Dish Store, they said they would look into it. Haven't heard a word. We plan to spend winters down here and summers in Canada.
Don't know whay the dish would not work in Canada.Example the directtv sattilite is over the Gulf of Mexico at 22,500 feet. You are shooting directly from your dish to the Sat, nothing in between as long as you can see the sat should be OK. Check the web site www.directtv.com.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:06 AM   #22
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
smc: Our neighbour in Ontario, Canada has a Direct dish. Works ok for him
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:08 AM   #23
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
DiananColin: We have Star Choice.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #24
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
SMC-
I have the Dish 500 system. It is a little more complicated than the single LNB
system that Dish Network has. Direct TV also has a single LNB and you only have to be able to align on elevation and azimuth angles. The Dish 500 has dual LNB's and receives from two satellites. There is a third alignment that you have to make with the 500 called "skew". Dish network allows a person to identify the angles for setup from a menu on the TV screen determined by US zipcodes. Their menu includes zip codes from Alaska, so if reception is available in Alaska you should be able to get it Canada, you just would have to figure out the skew angle on your own. In short, the Dish 500 would be hard to set up in Canada, but a single LNB system that Direct TV offers would suit your needs better than Dish and it should work. I have used mine as far N&W as Everett, Wa. An in-line signal strength meter will allow you to find the satellite with ease. You might want to talk to the company to see if there is a problem of owning their system and being Canadian residents.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:26 AM   #25
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Thanks for all the info. Right now our RV park has decent cable service, for free, but will be looking into a dish.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:16 AM   #26
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I am able to use the azimuth, angle and skew that I receive from my home zip code if the distance is not more than 110 miles.
You can use the Direct single LNB dish with Dish receivers. If we do this we are able to pick up one satellite' no local channels.
With the Dish 500, 2 LNB's, we get 2 satellites
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:55 AM   #27
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
SMC,

I see you are from Alberta. If you do get Sat. Service, Dish.net and DirectTV are about the same elevation in the sky from your home. However if you travel at all to the Northeast Coast, you will have a higher Sat. Elevation with DirectTV. which will make is easier to find. Up in "France's" part of Canada the Dish.net would almost be on the horizon. Something to help with your choice of Sat. companies.

Just kidding about "France's" part of Canada.
Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:00 AM   #28
Montana_1750
Established Member

M.O.C. #1750
Is there anyone else that has both tv and internet together on the same sat dish that sound like it would be the ticket for me. I see that Mobilrvn has it. I have e-mail him on this
I would really like to have more info on this set up
How it works?
How is the speed for internet?
What the cost is?
Cons & Pros Etc.
Thank you all
Montana_1750 is offline   Reply With Quote