Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
As the twins would say, TV Kapoot

As our twin granddaughters would say, the TV is Kaput (they are half German, kaput is the same as broken to them)

Anywaysss, the TV died on the 3rd day out. We pulled the TV out of the "entertainment center", found a bad fuse, replaced, plugged in and FLASH, wowie, it really brightened up the front room of the Montana, and the bedroom too!

So, we took it to a repair shop, where it was pronounced DOA. No amount of CPR was gonna revive it.

We had the RCA TV, anyone found a replacement for it, one that FITS into the opening provided, without any additional reworking (woodwork is not Al's best skill, and we really don't have the tools with us for that kind of chore)

He has a couple of ideas, but, we thought we would ask here anyway. He is anxious to get this situation out of the way.

Suggestions fully appreciated!

Carol

Forgot to mention, if you have suggestions, please give us the name, and model number, possible stores to look in, details!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ithink the best solution to RV TV is thin flat screen. Having said that, take your check book and you credit card. You get an excellent picture, narrow profile and you gain the area behind the TV for additional storage.

The right size would be around $500 plus or minus a $100. The thickness of these units are about 6" to 7" including any frame or stand, a very small footprint. The ones I have seen are very light and easy to adjust for viewing. Well, just a thought.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:11 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Stiles,

Al considered flat screens, but he could not find one to fit the opening. The ones he found were 20 inches or 27 inches, in width.

However, if someone can find a source for a flat screen that would fit, LET US KNOW!

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 02:51 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't know what the size of your opening is, however, if your new TV were to be a little smaller, I have no doubt that with your decorating skills, visiters would never know it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:59 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
How sweet Stiles, Thanks for the compliment.

I think there would be an opening of close to 4 inches just in width, if we went to the 20 inch flat screen TV. Al is not thrilled with the idea of 5 inches less of TV viewing!

Personally, I think it is a big hassle! SIGH

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 03:08 AM   #6
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
Carol, I would have to agree with AL when it comes to tv viewing bigger is better!
Mike
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:13 AM   #7
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
The TV in our 2750 started acting up last spring. The TV worked but the picture would develop wavy lines through it. If you hit it it would straighten out for a short time. After frustration for a couple of months I bought a Sylvania to replace the RCA. They were almost identical and I think the only real difference was the name on the front. This was a cheapo TV and all I wanted since we planned on selling the Monty. If the TV went DOA in a Monty that I was going to keep I'd consider one of the new LCD flat screens.

Good luck in your search.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:16 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Chester (Glenda and Brad)

Do you happen to have a model number for that Sylvania?? Even tho you have sold the unit???

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 03:32 AM   #9
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
If you go to Best buys web site they have numerous Flat Screen TVs that will fit into the opening. If you see one that you like click on that one and it will give you a description with the dimensions included.

www.bestbuy.com
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:46 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
sectres

Thanks for the lead, I can see that Al has already surfed in there, and when I look at what is available, I can tell that most of the units for the size we require have 2 small problems.

1.) More than what we want to spend, as we are not full timers. (SIGH)

2.) Most of them seem to have pedestal type bases. Al mentioned that the pedestal arrangement concerns him, he is worried that it will not stand up (ha ha) to the forces of traveling down the hard road.

Has anyone installed a TV with a pedestal stand, comments??? Good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks everyone for the comments, it is appreciated.

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 04:25 AM   #11
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
There are two types on this web site. There is flat panel (which are expensive) and flat screen (which are more resonable). There is a flat screen Toshiba on the site for $284.00 and a Sony there for $303.00. Both of which are 24 inch TVs.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:51 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
sectres,

Thanks, went back and looked again, to be sure did not over look something.

Found a Sony 24 inch, model KV24FS120 (or something like that), price $319.99, width of unit is 28 1/4 inches, which is the problem, the opening we have is 24.5 inches.

Found a Toshiba 24 inch, model 24AFAA (or something like that), price $299.99, width of unit is 26.5 inches, again, larger than the opening we have.

Did find a Symphonic (GULP), for $129.99, model number ST423E, which is a 23 inch screen and is 22 3/4 inch wide, and that would fit, also is 20.25 inches tall, we have 22 1/8th inches to go for "high". This is NOT a flat screen or flat panel, and probably would last about 1 hour??

Also found a couple of others, data of which Al has, not me, and they would be a tight fit.

Are we having fun yet?? HAHAHAHA

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 05:27 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Sharp 25-C340 25" TV (Silver)
Other products by Sharp

Share your own customer imagesList Price: $199.99
Price: $189.99
25-inch direct-view TV with dark-tint picture tube; 24.7 x 22.17 x 20.28 inches (W x H x D)

Carol and Al, these are the closest to the opening in our 2955RL which I measured as 22" X 25"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...045008-0798372
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:53 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
David,

Think that is the one that Al is considering, he says it is 1/8th of an inch too tall, no let me correct that, yikes, this boy makes accurate measurements. OK, it is 3/64 inch too high and 13/64 inch too wide.

Hey, thanks for helping us look, a chore like this one takes all the MOC!>G>G>G>

Thanks to sectres as well, way beyond the call of duty!

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 07:10 AM   #15
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
Check Wal-Marts website. They have a Emerson 27 inch Pure Flat TV for $218.00. Dimensions listed are 24.3 width 19.9 high 27.1 deep. The way it looks like that this is one that they carry in store also.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:16 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Will do sectres,

THANKS!! Again!

Carol

OHHH, shoot, done have that much deep, only have 21 and 5/8th inch, Will check anyway, to be sure we did not miss ANY possilibities! Leave no stone, errr TV, unturned!
Old 02-09-2005, 08:11 AM   #17
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Looks like that Sharp is the closest we can find. As I looked at our TV (in the cabinet) it looks like the facings or moldings could be very slightly altered to accomodate this unit. In other words, it looks like the actual cabinet is "framed" with facings, and that the cabinet itself would be large enough to accept this unit. Easy for me to say! Right??
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:18 AM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
NO, I understand what you are saying David. And under different circumstances (like we were home with a variety of tools), the situation might be different, we could consider, CUTTING and moldings and fun stuff.

Al is not in that mode right now. So, taking the approach, it has to slide in and no extra work.

Cheers, and hey, you coming down here next week???

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 11:46 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm following this thread with interest as one of these days ours is going to bite the dust, too. At the moment it's performing just fine (probably shouldntasaidthat) but in the past it occasionally will "spit" and go black for a half second before regaining its composure. My Dad was a TV repairman among other things and it sounds to me like a short across the flyback transformer (I just gave you the full extent of my electronics knowledge). Fortunately it's not done this in awhile. Do TV's still have a flyback transformer?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #20
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Only obsolete ones Steve.

Costco has a 30 inch 16x9 LCD with speakers mounted undeneath... not on the ends which fits the hole the RCA is in. Goes in sideways.. turn it straight and move it forward...edges are inside the cabinet...never gonna fall out.

Bad new is the tuner is still NTSC ..not a hiDef tuner so... gonna wait till next year.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote