Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Stormy night - upset Montana - not ours

This Montana was parked behind ours. A squall line came through with what we think was a burst of straight line wind. The owners were not seriously injured. Don't think they are MOC members.
Upside down Montana

(Time on my camera is 2 hours fast)

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I remember that Monty the day we stopped by and you were gone volleyballing. Sorry we missed you. Glad to here the folks are OK. The Monty can easily be replaced your life can't. Squall line went through Mobile about 2:30 this morning some thunder in the distance and little rain, but not much wind.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Wow, glad to hear they were ok. A little scary for them. Like they said - even though its hard - the Monty can be replaced. Hope they have good insurance.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
WOW, I would have never guessed that a wind would do that. However, that being said it was very windy here last night, too and I felt a couple of times that we were on our way over. I'm sure glad those folks weren't seriously hurt. We are not liking the wind too much here, either. A little bit is OK but the winds we've been having are excessive. 40-45 mph gusts. And those are just not welcome. Especially after seeing these pictures you've sent along. Yikes.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Glad you are OK, and the other owners as well. Considering that unit is now upside down, it does not look bad structurally.

We have been concerned about you guys, there have been a LOT of nasty stuff going your way for weeks.

Another example of Mother Nature and her brats at work. WOW.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:43 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Not a good sight. Where are you just now? Where did this take place? There was a Tornado watch here (Central Texas) for part of the day yesterday.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Not a good sight. Where are you just now? Where did this take place? There was a Tornado watch here (Central Texas) for part of the day yesterday.
We are at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores AL. There was a tornado "watch". It was really just a thunder storm until this sudden gust occured. It was at the very end of the storm, by the time we got outside, it had stopped raining.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:00 AM   #8
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
John, I remember that montana the morning I came by to see you. Glad they were ok and that you both are also. It was really windy here also but as of this am everything still hanging tight.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:31 AM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Glad you are OK, and the other owners as well. Considering that unit is now upside down, it does not look bad structurally.
Hi Carol,

Well it is back on its wheels now, and it does not look so great any more. They just wrapped a cable around the axles and pulled it on to its side, then they pulled some more to get it upright, but they ripped the frame off the body in the process. Still the basic body structure is still intact.

The storm was really not all that bad, but right at the end, a sudden burst of wind came through. It also blew around other people's stuff and brought down some small tree limbs, but no other real damage.

The weather here has generally been very pleasant, but it seems as though about once a week, a cold front comes through triggering some nasty storms.

I see the owners just returnde from the hospital, they were able to drive themselves, so I think they just went for a check up although the wife had a cut that may have needed a stich or two.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:47 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Shame they had to do so much damage to right it.

But, they were very lucky after facing Mother Nature's brats dead on.

We will all keep them in our good thoughts and prayers.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:51 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
That is so unfortunate, but their lives are worth more than the price of a new trailer.

What, if anything could have been done to prevent that?
Why were there no other trailers involved?
Was their angle to the wind so different than everyone else?

Some one mentioned in another thread that they would rather have the wind coming broadside to keep the awning from flapping. My personal feeling is to head the nose of the Hanna into the wind. Less resistance than broadside. Let the awning tear if they want to but staying upright is much more important.

I know that this is a drastic thought, but what would it take for a campground to provide permenant anchors that the trailer could be attached to? Especially in those areas that are subjected to the occasional high winds.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:19 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
John and Donna, so glad that you did not have damage or injury, and sorry for those neighbors of yours whose experience was not so good--thankful though that they did not have more serious injury. I surely would not have wanted to be in that Montana when it got flipped!

As you know, it was partly the weather that turned us back from Riverside/Fairview in Louisiana and kept us from coming on down to Gulf Shores. We were under tornado watches with that same storm here at home, but we have been thankful just to get thunderstorms without damage.

Hope you get to enjoy the springtime which is just beginning to burst out here in the South.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
They were parked broadside to the wind, as we were. They just seemed to get a more violent burst of wind. There was a Laredo behind them that was also unharmed.

Towing company say they may have to dismantle the trailer to move it away.

One thing they found out, Good Sam Road Service won't help you with any "weather related incident".
Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I am in agreement with would rather park the nose or backend to the wind, if I know which way the winds will be blowing in the majority.

Ole boating rule of thumb, head the nose into the wind during a violent storm, saved our lives on the Detroit River during a tornado (and surrounding storm) many years ago.

Trouble with ole Mother Nature and her brats, they change their minds and their directions and smack around where they want. Look at all the reports of rigs and 18 wheelers being blown over on the highways. Those straight line winds are as bad as a tornado in their own way. SIGHHH

Has to be very discouraging to watch your rig being torn apart to remove the debris. How sad for the owners.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:27 AM   #15
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The couple who had their Montana blown over were traveling with friends in a Cougar. The Cougar people had to return north for some family emergency. They ran into ice near Fort Wayne and slowed down to about 30 MPH, only to be side swiped by an 18-wheeler doing about 60. Their Cougar was totaled but truck and passengers were OK. You just can't win.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:42 AM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
AWFUL! Just awful!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:35 AM   #17
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Straight wind hit her broadside?
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #18
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Added some more pictures showing the "righting" of the trailer.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #19
Y-ASK
Established Member

M.O.C. #7754
I wonder if it had been connected to the Tow Vehicle if they would have had the same result. I think maybe the added weight might have kept it a little more stable. Just a thought...

Y-ASK
Y-ASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #20
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Y-ASK

I wonder if it had been connected to the Tow Vehicle if they would have had the same result. I think maybe the added weight might have kept it a little more stable. Just a thought...
It might have helped, who knows? That particular model has three slides on one side (the lee side in this case) and only one small one on windward side, it is a front LR model, not sure about the model number, it was not visible.