Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Window Film ?

Hi All,

As most of you know that although the rear lounge Models are fantastic, they sure let alot of heat in through the glass.

We have the single pane glass with the dark tint. The thought has occurred to me (It happens some times) to have the silver window film added to the windows to reflect the heat.

Those of you in the Sun Belt I'm sure are familiar with this Film. It's almost a necessity in our Auto's here in AZ, but we add it to un-tinted windows.

Has anyone out there in MOC Land tried this? My only concern is possibly making the windows too dark or having no impact and wasting our money.

Happy Camping

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
I don't have any experiance with putting the film on the windows in the fiver, but I did put the film on our stick home windows on the west side. I regret I did it. I had to scrap all the windows to get the film off because after about 10 years they discolored and looked like moisture got inbetween the panes. I also didn't see much of an improvement with them. I believe you would get more out of something like the sunscreens you can get for the front window in a car.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
One of the other couples in our Good Sam club have a screen that snaps on over the window. It's the kind that is perforated so light gets through. It also protects the window from flying debris.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I had the film put on my skylights on my house and WHAT a differance it made. I actually felt the heat before the film and now I do not feel it at all. I bought the film that has a lifetime warranty, so if I have problems I hope they will be taken care of by the manufacture of the product. I do recommend using the product, but be sure that you get one that is warranteed for life.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:38 AM   #5
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I had the film installed several years ago. It did lower the temps inside alot and helps on the fade. Most upper grade tints have uv protection in them. We really like it and it does not cut down on seeing outside. We had it done professionally because they wont sell the material. I think it was about 300.00. www.formulaone.com for some better info
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
AZSTAR,
I put the mirror tint on my 3280 RL 3 years ago and I feel it has helped a lot.
The mirror effect is almost lost because of the dark tint but it still works on the sun.
We couldn't see a lot of difference in the interior light.
You can purchase it at Lowes and auto parts stores and it is easy to install, just follow the instructions and use plenty of water.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:43 PM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hello MOC'ers

Thanks for the feed back.

BigBlue, I know exactly what your saying. Been there. I think they have really improved the product as I haven't seen this problem for a lot of years. I can only hope.

Bill Hill, I thought about the Sun Screens but putting them on at each stop doesn't turn me on.

jsmitfl, Looks like excellent product but, the closest outlet is in Tucson. Too far.

awaywego & DHenry, Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I think I'm going to give it a try. I know a pro who will give me a good deal on it, but I think I'd like to give it a shot myself. I'll start on the small side windows and see how it goes.

Thanks again
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote