Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
wat42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4557
How Long to Keep Montana

Hello Everyone, Maybe this seems like a crazy question but here goes. We purchased a 2002 2955RL in good used condition. This is our 4th winter coming up. We only use it for 3 months in Fla. and some camping during summer. Really don't want to get a new one just yet, also have Ford F250 Diesel truck. Do they still make the 32' Montana, would my truck pull it? Just wondering how long most of you kept your units before buying again. I would like to put new flooring in, just keep the carpet under sofa and table, would also like some new recliners (suggestions welcome). Have any of you changed your carpet and what did you replace it with? Don't want to go overboard then decide to buy in a year or two. Thanks for your input.

wat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the forum!

Keystone does still make the 2955, although you may not recognize the floor plan anymore. The bathroom and bedroom have changed a lot!

There are 10,000 personal reasons to choose or choose-not to replace your camper, so none of my reasons probably would mean anything to you. I will warn you though, Keystone changes these rigs every six months, and if you are feature driven, you will have a hard time resisting a new one once you check them out.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm with Brad on this one. Whereas some have changed rigs every 2-3 years just to get the newest, there are others of us as you can see by my signature that are content to remain with what we have--as long as it fulfills our needs.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
It's personnel choice.
We full-time and have put in a second air and got rid of the carpet and put in new linoleum flooring in this year.
New lazy boy chairs the first year.
Just when you get most of the bugs out is not the time to trade.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We were satisfied with our 2003 unit with some exceptions. Those exceptions were covered in the 2008 unit. This will be my last unit. Even though there are some features I like on the newest ones that were not available on this unit, this unit will out live my need for a RV. We thoroughly enjoy the 340 RLQ Big Sky for full timing.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We replaced our kitchen flooring with lamanet for roughly $100.00. Looks great! We have a 2005 2955 and love it, but.... we have the itch for a bigger livingroom (3rd slide). Do we need it? No, do we want it... yes, but not the bill so we trying to talk ourselves into keeping what we have at the moment. Understand right where you are. We also do not want to go much longer so we where looking at a 3075 (I think that's the number).
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
We have a 2003 model. In 2007 we replaced the carpet and vinyl. The carpet was a remnant and cost very little. The vinyl cost more. But we love having less carpet. We are about decided we enjoy this unit and will for quite some time.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
wat42, We have an '06 3400RL that we plan on keeping for the duration, or a long time anyway. As they say in the housing market, "we have overbuilt". Too many modifications to ever get my money out of it, or even come close, so it will become a family heirloom. DW wants me to pull carpet and install some kind of laminate. I will do this WHEN the carpet finally wears thru. We moved our couch to the back window and replaced the two OEM recliners (one broke and went to Goodwill, the other went to the Airmans Attic at Travis AFB) with a Wall hugger recliner from Lazy Boy. It does not rock or swivel, as no wallhugger does, but it sure is comfortable and fits perfectly within 3 inches of the side wall.

I would advise this: IF you know you will be trading in a few years, as many seem to do, go light on the mods. No sense putting money in if you are not going to get it out. OR if money is not an issue, GO FOR IT!!!!! That is one of the nice things about RVing, no two rigs are exactly the same........

Good Luck and Welcome to "THE BEST DARNED FORUM ON THE WWW"
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:45 AM   #9
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

We kept our previous unit (non Montana) for 9 trouble free years (heavy usage) before trading it in on a new 2007 Montana Mountaineer triple slide.The only reason we upgraded was to get more room.The choices are numerous and options are becoming endless.There is nothing wrong with an older experienced unit,we plan on keeping our Mountaineer at least 10 years.

Philip
2007 336RLT Montaineer
2006 Dodge Diesel QC 4x4 DRW
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Having done our home work when purchasing we expected 3 to 5 years use out of the 3400 considering how we use it.We are now 28 Months into ownership and we are somewhat surprised that it is holding up better than we expected in terms of normal wear and tear. The carpets are wearing but still look acceptable even the recliner although a seam or two unravled is wearing well, only one day night shade failed and the others look good. I do a lot of napping on the couch and it is holding up well.These are very high maint units. At this point we feel we have the unit near to the standard it should have been when it left the factory. We would like a new unit, but think we will continue to upgrade and improve on this one. If the quality and workmanship were better we would be more apt to buy again.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
One of the nice things about keeping a unit longer is the fact that there are no payments! We have never been in a position where we could make the payments on a new one as long as we are living on SS and a small USAF pension.

We have also added a lot to this one, ie., solar, MOR/ryde Individual Suspension, rebuild the front end, added a bookcase, plumbed for propane space heater, added two PVC tubes for sewer hoses, fittings, etc. Too much to lose if we were to trade for a new one.

Each one of us has gotta do what we gotta do! Where did I hear that from?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
Garlic
Established Member

M.O.C. #8408
Bought a used 2002 Montana 2850RK last year. Put in a new rug (except under the bed) and replaced the linoleum floor with a "Pergo-type" flooring. We figure we will be using this for several more years. LW replaced sofa, chair-rail height decoration, and added personal touches to the decor. So far, about 20K miles with over 10K planned for this winter (well, winter in New England). When it comes to the Montana, it should last for many years and miles.

Good luck with yours,
A very frugal GARLIC
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
wat42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4557
Thanks everyone for your comments, very helpful insight. We plan on keeping this a few more years - hopefully the outside will hold up. I just wonder if anyone has trouble w/the exterior. I keep mine washed and waxed and fix anything that goes wrong. Hopefully, DW will be able to get along without the extra two feet. We like the unit - and love this forum. Thanks everyone.
wat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #14
jars
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1529
We had a 3670 2001 put 52,000 miles on with few problems. Bought a 2007 3575 Rl.
Richard E. Smith
jars 1529
jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #15
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
DH convinced me that we needed to get rid of the recliners for Euro style chairs. We are leaving in the morning for a week at Thousand Trails, Orlando and will try them out. We did it for a few reasons. First and foremost the Euro style is lightweight and will be easier to move in and out of place. I am 4' 11 and 1/16 inches tall and to open the day/night shade behind the rocking recliners was a real fun challenge. The lighter weight will also help gas mileage says DH. We have a 2955FL with Sapphire colors. The new chairs are a rust color leather and make the rust color in the sofa and valances pop out. The chairs are recliners with foot stools that will store on the seat during travel. Have fun redecorating!! Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:38 AM   #16
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We also have the 2955 and went to a RV show over the weekend. The Euro style chairs are in some newer models and are very comfortable. We hate the weight of the recliners and are a bear to turn to travel. What kind of price range are the Euro chairs and where do you get them? I like the idea.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #17
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We went to a Macy's clearance store and paid $400 per chair. Dave went online and saw that they can retail for $500 or $600. We have been using them for a week and with the exception of having to move the footstool closest to the door, all is great with the new chairs. We replaced carpeting in our stick house with laminate this year and have lots left over. If we wanted to change out lineolum and carpet in the Monty, what can and can't be replaced? Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Joanie we would love to see how the recliners look when we meet up with you guys in DeSota in March. We installed the laminet in our 2955 and are very pleased with the results. It was a major improvement. See you then...