Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Spare tire carrier

I was under our 2018 3731 Montana putting air in the spare when I noticed the two cross supports tied into the outer frame rails holding the spare tire up had 2 loose bolts and 4 bolts without any nuts on them especially when only a total of 8 1/4” bolts hold a fixture and spare of well over 100 lbs or more.I immediately remember reading where someone had their spare tire fall out from undeneath the back of their rv.
Where the 4 nuts were missing they used one rivet that was attaching the belly pan that enclosed the complete bottom of the rv.One small rivet on each side holding up the ends of 2 cross braces.
Imagine traveling over 1000 miles hitting bumps and bouncing along the way and the whole fixture with the spare coming undone could easily cause the back end of the rv to bounce up a couple of feet off the ground.Could cause a bad accident,injuries of who knows how severe plus major damage to the under carriage of the rv.
This is what we pay good money for and get poor shoddy cheap workmanship from Keystone or Thor.?Talk to Keystone they say Montana is by Thor so who really knows?
It’s a real shame the consumer dosen’t have much protection against the manufactures that have incompetent workers and no quality control.Their only goal is sales and a year warranty is a joke.
So make sure you look good under your new rv before you take it home because you sure can’t count on the manufacture and most dealers.
I say that because it shouldn’t be the consumers job to inspect the structure and workmanship.

Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
????

Might want to ask one of these girls just how could that have happen. I mean if they spent as much time really checking things as they spend worrying about how their tight sweaters fit we might have better units. It`ll never change in my life time. Just remember if you don`t buy it the guy standing behind you waving c-notes will, so what are you going to do?

[URL="
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote