Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
rickw328

M.O.C. #21266
Furnance smells

I have a 2016 Montana 3440RL. I've wintered in it the last few years but recently I've noticed a horrible smell that waifs into the RV itself while the furnace is running. This is not the normal propane smell but something different. There is a blueish white exhaust coming from the furnace and we noticed a carbon build up in the exhaust itself. I took off the panel and cleaned out the carbon as much as possible with a vacuum, of course I turned it off until we can figure out the issue, and I put out calls to RV mobile tech (but so far no call backs and it's getting colder). Can anyone recommend anything to try or a good RV furnace video) I've watched all the basic ones). Since cleaning it out we still get the odor and blueish white smoke. We do have a CO2 detector and are not running the furnace at all (except to try and fix it). -- We have since topped off our propane tanks to make sure they're not low and the problem persists.

rickw328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Check to make sure there isn't a spider in where the gas shoots into the furnace. Make sure the burners don't have any obstruction. Make sure the little vents on the end of the burners are clear and open. That is how the burner gets air to burn correctly. There shouldn't be any carbon buildup in there. Propane burns very clean.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:48 AM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
First, welcome to the forum. I would look deeper into the unit. More than likely something crawled in there and died. I had wasp nests in mine that caused similar grief.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #4
rickw328

M.O.C. #21266
Thank you I do think that could have happened. Do you have any sources for where I could learn "how to" get deeper into the unit? I've gone as far into it as I can without more information. I've watched several videos on how to disassemble RV furnaces but nothing that matches my Montana enough to make sense.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
rickw328

M.O.C. #21266
Thanks the whole spider thing could definitely be an issue. Do you know any where I could find out more about how to get into the area with the burners? I can get to the exhaust but not sure how to get any deeper into the unit itself. I've watched a bunch of videos but not found anything that looks similar to my unit.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I tend to disassemble stuff until I get where I need to be. Remembering how it goes back together is my problem.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I tend to disassemble stuff until I get where I need to be. Remembering how it goes back together is my problem.
Been there done that. My cell phone camera has certainly improved my memory in putting things back together. That is when I remember to take a picture before I disassemble.

Tags
furance, odor, smoke