Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Under-belly slide out storage boxes

Apparently my mention of these in another thread has sparked some interest.

They are simply two plastic boxes with hinged lids in the top. They mount in a frame allowing them to slide in and out and held in the retracted position with snap pins very similar to the ones on the landing gear.

When in the retracted position they are tucked under the skirting. The frame they are mounted in extends across to the other side of the coach where another box is tucked under that skirt.

The whole unit is welded to the chassis of the coach and the boxes have small holes drilled or molded in the bottom corners so water and moisture can drain and dry out. That is why I use the box on the road-side to hold the sewer attachments and the box on the curb-side holds the patio carpet folded up. It doesn't matter if those things get wet.

As I have said in that other thread, I intend to get some photos posted so all of you can see what these look like. We are also making a version that holds the spare tire in the center between the boxes. I will get pictures of that unit also.

MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I take it this is this stictly after-market, Dale?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Dave,

It is something that we are producing that more and more of the manufactures are ordering with the frames. The are a couple of the brand X manufactures who are jumping on these. Keystone has done a few but, I think they will be ordering more as time goes by. Especially for most of their 5th wheel models they produce.

I am going to try to get more info on suggested retail price. I am sure that we can offer a deal that if somebody is going to be in the Goshen area and wants one, we will mount it at no extra cost. Reigle, are you reading this?

All I need is a couple day notice if you want to come and purchase one.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:38 AM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
MMIF2 I would be interested in seeing pictures of your slide outs.

Dave and Cheryl, Nice picture of you two and I like your weather information display.
Right now here on Vancouver Island we are 49 degrees F and we are the same time zone as Las Vegas. Seattle WA has pretty similar weather so they must be warm too. Really hurting our local Ski Resort as they had to close. Take care, Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:02 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
MIMF2, this seems like a great addition to the storage space under the 5er. The big question that I have is weight? By this, I also think of the additional items I put in these boxes. I sometimes think that we max out our tvs with what we already put in the basements. I can see where fulltimers might want the extra space, but they still have to pull the unit from one CG to another. I guess I shouldn't pass judgement on something I haven't even seen yet, I'm just passing along some thoughts.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:03 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Ditto, on the picture, Dave.

Dale, what size will these boxes be? It sounds like a great idea. Glen never mentioned that he saw these at the rally????? Can you imagine that???? Just what I need....more storage. If he takes stuff out of the basement, that will leave more room for my stuff!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:13 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Don & Judy!

Don, you have no snow because we got the whole continent's full allotment so far this year here in the Midwest... guess Mother Nature didn't want to spread the wealth.

Judy: I really got a chuckle from your reasoning for more space! That was funny! But I bet you were serious, too.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:46 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Of course I was serious, Dave! One of the best parts of traveling in a Montana is that you can take your STUFF....and your dog.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:54 AM   #9
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
UH Judy, don't forget your husband.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:06 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Boy... I wasn't going to say anything, Dale...
Old 12-23-2005, 04:57 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glen HAS to go...He's the driver! I'm the navigator. And Greta has to go....she's been bugging us ever since we got back from Alaska. As for Glen, we enjoy the fact that traveling with the Montana puts us in close proximity to one another as we enjoy each other's company. It's one of the things we missed the most when we got back in our stick house.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:05 AM   #12
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Dale you said these mount under the skirting but what about the under belly? Do they just mount under that and you mention that the frame welds to the coach frame how does that work if you have underbelly.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:25 AM   #13
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
pud2,

The under-belly material does have to be cut and folded to expose the bottom of the I beam of the frame. Then a couple pieces of square tubing was welded onto the frame with bolt on brackets. The tubing and brackets were painted. Then the storage box frame was bolted up and that is all there was to it.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:12 AM   #14
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
MIMF2,

Is that the door I see under your furnace in the picture?
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dale, do these take space, though? I'm just wondering... this does not sacrifice space that you already were using, does it?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:35 PM   #16
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Dennis and Dave,

They mount under the coach attached to the frame. They do not take up staorage space in the coach. Infact they increase it. Because, now whatever is stored in the basement that doesn't matter if it gets wet, can now go in the boxes under the skirting. When the picture in my signature was taken these boxes were not mounted.

Dennis, the door you are talking about under the furnace and the water heater is the hook-up for the fresh water and outside shower.

What I will do one of these days is go to my coach and take some pictures of the boxes. I have them mounted to the frame under the basement area.

Have a good day!
Old 12-24-2005, 01:45 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Dale! MERRY CHRISTMAS!