Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Is it true that this happened to Montana.

I was at a campground and some other camper mentioned that the original designers of the Montana sold their ownership, and was told that they could not design another RV for 5 years and now they have a model I believe its the Solitude, has anybody out there heard anything like that?

Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Grand Design RV makes a model called the Solitude. Don't know if that has anything to do with the original Montana designers/owners or not. Business sales typically have non-compete clauses prohibiting the seller from competing in the same business for a set number of years.

They do have a statement on their web site;

"We were part of the original ownership team that led a top RV Manufacturer to become the largest travel trailer and fifth wheel company in the world."
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Near the end of 2012 Grand Design was formed by ex-Keystone people. Here's an excerpt from an article.
"Grand Design was created by Don Clark and Bill and Ron Fenech, RV industry veterans who created Keystone RV and rocketed to the top of the RV industry with that company before selling it to Thor Industries. The three then held leadership positions with Thor, before leaving those behind in the past year."
Here's the whole article http://www.goshennews.com/news/grand...ff530ca75.html
I can't comment on the 5 year deal, but what they do build look to be of good quality ... at least the models I've walked thu.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
When they first started Grand Design, I think they got good reviews and people said they had good support. But the last year or 2, from word of mouth and on a couple of forums, maybe the support has dropped some.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
yep that is true and I have two friends with a Solitude they also make the smaller Reflection and they have the Imagine travel trailer ,there is really nothing special about them and IMO they cheap out on too many things for me to consider buying one and both of them have been back for warranty repair MANY times just like alot of other Brands do also they just got bought out by Winnabago so we will have to see if their good customer service stays
Old 03-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Open Range was also started by ex Montana and Keystone folks.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We too have looked at a few Solitudes but just can't seem to get too excited about them either. Never have been convinced that their support or build quality is any different than others.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
thanks for the tag and information well part of it was right
Old 03-08-2017, 06:28 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarMar View Post
We too have looked at a few Solitudes but just can't seem to get too excited about them either. Never have been convinced that their support or build quality is any different than others.
We toured one at the Chattanooga RV Show last month and was unimpressed to say the least.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:34 AM   #10
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Just looked at a Solitude 376TH last Saturday. It had a lot of features I liked, but the flat ceilings, the fit and finish and the rear bedroom was too small were all reasons to walk away. I like my Montana better. I will just have to finds another way to take my motorcycle camping.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Trash 2 View Post
I was at a campground and some other camper mentioned that the original designers of the Montana sold their ownership, and was told that they could not design another RV for 5 years and now they have a model I believe its the Solitude, has anybody out there heard anything like that?
Been on the forum since 2005 and I never heard that particular story.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:47 AM   #12
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
We've had our Solitude since November 2014. So Far Grand Design has provided best customer service I've ever experienced. They did sell out to Winnebago. I liked my Montana until a Semi ran into it. That made it rather drafty.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
KOLCB, Come on that's why you go camping, to be outside and that is why you got rid of tent and bought a camper.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #14
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
KOLCB, Come on that's why you go camping, to be outside and that is why you got rid of tent and bought a camper.
Lynwood
When I was young I enjoyed sleeping on the ground in the great outdoors. As I age, I appreciate a warm bed in a solid dwelling, so I drag my house with me as I travel
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #15
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Been on the forum since 2005 and I never heard that particular story.
Rich,
I too was told that about the GD guys. It's fairly common and called a "no compete clause" and often departing management will sign one when leaving a company.

Mark
Old 03-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #16
reinell30
Established Member

M.O.C. #18462
Designing a Montana Like the old days

I like the 3820FK, the 3790RD and the 3791RD with a few exceptions:
I don't like the booth for dining in the 3820FK, I prefer a table and was told by Keystone that is not an option. Also in this model, I don't like the washer/dryer setup in the bedroom, you have to sit on the bed to add clothes to washer. Again, 2 more foot longer and could be a perfect design.
Currently, the cabinetry in the Montana's is too dull for my taste. I like bright cheery cabinets, medium stain or a touch lighter. (Not white) I did notice this year, Keystone took out that cheap looking wainscoat paneling from around the island and backsplash areas.
I have a 2007 3500RL, can't find a floor plan on the market that makes me want to change. I have looked at 1000's of 5th wheels. The closest I could find to what we like were the 38FL by Redwood and the Landmark365. I had a keystone 5th wheel before my Montana that we loved very much, then we walked into this 3500RL in 2006 and ordered one immediately!
Montana used to have that wow factor. I mean when true RV'er opens the door and the RV say's hello, welcome home it is a sold RV, no salesperson can change your mind or is needed for the purchase.
I hope Montana will get back to the brighter, lighter cabinets soon.
Just maybe, they will be able to build me one like I stated? I retire for good in 5 years and plan to have my retirement 5th wheel before I retire.
I like what New Horizons is doing and what Luxe is doing with custom ordering, I am not opposed to doing this if need be. I just like Keystone quality and have a hard time changing. I have owned four Keystone RV's, my son three and other members of our family up to 10. We are kind of die hard Keystone fans I guess...
When you are sitting in the living room of your RV, everyone in the room should have the same view or angle to the TV. Having to turn your head completely sideways to look at TV and then only having your head Two feet from the screen is not a good floorplan. Everyone in the industry offers about the same floor plans like this. The two reclining chairs (Loveseat) face directly at the TV and everyone else is at an angle. My 3500RL is not this way, the TV is at the angle.
Kitchen Islands should be far enough away from the oven door so you can stand behind the oven door and open it without squeezing against' the island. I have noticed this is finally getting better.
Any word if the Big Sky addition is coming back? I know the Legacy took it's place but I haven't seen the differences in appearance with the Legacy as was noticeable between the Montana's and the Big Sky.

. Here is my request: Can Keystone build another floor plan of the 2007 Montana 3500RL with the following changes? Make it 4 ft longer overall/ add 2 ft in the kitchen so you can put in a double fridge/1 ft upstairs so the bathroom can all be in one room instead of divided/ 1 ft in the living room so when you recline, your feet don't hit the person on the couch. also add a 5th slide to the dresser upstairs. You can change the awning setup outside as needed. This was the best floor design in the industry, now with it being longer it will be again. Put the cap back on the back. Of course it would have all the other upgrades of a 2018 RV compared to 2007.
I like the 3791RD but it is too short as well, needs another two ft added to remove the boxed in feeling. I heard the DOT has set a limit at 45 feet for 5th wheels. adding 4 feet to the 3500RL will only make it 44 feet. Thanks for listening
reinell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #17
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I guess the bottom line is you cannot please everybody's taste,but Montana must have a good pulse on what people are liking right now with floor plans and colors because they are selling a boatload of them with record sales and the way they stay on top is if a floor plan or color combo falls out of favor and sales taper off they dump them real quick and try something else and see if that sells,my particular model while I love it did not sell very well and they dumped it in 2-3 years
Old 03-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #18
reinell30
Established Member

M.O.C. #18462
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskyjimmy View Post
I guess the bottom line is you cannot please everybody's taste,but Montana must have a good pulse on what people are liking right now with floor plans and colors because they are selling a boatload of them with record sales and the way they stay on top is if a floor plan or color combo falls out of favor and sales taper off they dump them real quick and try something else and see if that sells,my particular model while I love it did not sell very well and they dumped it in 2-3 years

Agree with the amount of floor plans and the fact that Keystone always listens to their customers. However, they just don't have one for me yet. If everyone liked the same things, this would be a very boring world.
I have owned enough RV's now to know what we like. I am very picky, especially since owning this model. I also have to have full body paint, Keystone told me they could paint any model Montana, very nice. For now, the wife and I will be patient and keep looking until the day comes like it did 2006.
reinell30 is offline   Reply With Quote